Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not going to replace my ltdss either. If I didn't have all the ltds yet, I would fill the holes with HD ones though. If I read through this thread, I can conclude that VERY little people will replace their SCM ltds with HD ltds. Which has me thinking what the return on investment really is for Ricoh, with an entire userbase waiting for NEW products. There should be a poll on this.

08-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm not going to replace my ltdss either. If I didn't have all the ltds yet, I would fill the holes with HD ones though. If I read through this thread, I can conclude that VERY little people will replace their SCM ltds with HD ltds. Which has me thinking what the return on investment really is for Ricoh, with an entire userbase waiting for NEW products. There should be a poll on this.
Maybe only a few users will replace their old glass, but how much more users with a relatively complete lens set will buy a totally new lens, while the development of completely new glass is probably much more expensive than just upgrading the existing line? So even if revenue is not that great, return of investment might look better with the upgrade - and for new users they can offer an up to date system.

I think the upgrade is not a bad move, exspecially as it seems some new lenses are on the way also.
08-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
I think the upgrade is not a bad move,
True, upgrading is never a bad move, imho. But they could have upgraded the holes in the lens line up first. Truth be told, the Pentax lens lineup does have holes.

exspecially as it seems some new lenses are on the way also.
Really?
08-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #49

Maybe only a few users will replace their old glass, but how much more users with a relatively complete lens set will buy a totally new lens, while the development of completely new glass is probably much more expensive than just upgrading the existing line? So even if revenue is not that great, return of investment might look better with the upgrade - and for new users they can offer an up to date system.
True, upgrading is never a bad move, imho. But they could have upgraded the holes in the lens line up first. Truth be told, the Pentax lens lineup does have holes.
Sadly, I can't disaggree, but I think plugging the holes will be more expensive and take more time than an upgrade, so I'd say financially i'd consider it a smart move.

A shiny new 85mm (for example) would probably make the customers happier, but Pentax at this point works with limited resources, as I understand.

I think the upgrade is not a bad move, exspecially as it seems some new lenses are on the way also.
Really?
Well, there is the lens roadmap and some comments from RICO would point to new developments in the future, some of which might be glass.

I wrote "seems to be", not "is" ;-)

The update is a good first step, IMO. If it was the only innovation we would get from RICO in the next few years, it would not be enough, but I'm carefully optimistic here.

08-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I think Pentax is assuming that people will be buying lenses that they do not currently own such as those who have yet to buy a certain focal length or are new to photography. For a company to make products simply for its current base to upgrade to would make no sense. So as I stated before Pentax is still making DA limited lenses for sale, the difference is a couple of changes. People wishing to purchase a new lens should not be forced to buy one with a coating that is inferior to what Pentax thinks they can supply simply because other users are needs for different lenses.

Introducing new lenses is not upgrading it is producing new models unless it is upgrades of older out of production ones which may require much more development that we suspect, perhaps some of them are almost impossible to produce at a price we will be willing to pay. But upgrading the DA limiteds is not for exising DA Limited owners but to put a better product on the shelf.

Pentax has even changed their lens caps over the years and I do not think it was with expectations of Pentax owners buying new lens caps. I do not expect to see many people upgrading their DAs unless they have one that they are not satisfied with. But the again perhaps some people have to have the lastest regardless. These lenses are for sale for the next years or decades and there will be people a decade from now who are interested in buying a DA Limited. Not everyone has already bought all they need that Pentax has to offer, some people have yet to buy their very first Pentax item or their first lens after their kit lens etc. Not all are at the same place as you are in their ownership of equipment .
08-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether or not the new coatings are better remains to be seen. The possibility exists that the new lenses might not be as good as the current crop of Limiteds. I'm not looking to replace anything but I am considering adding to my Limited collection and will be patiently waiting to see test results from the new glass.
08-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never. I will only look at buying FF lenses so that when/if Pentax makes a FF body then I'll be ready.
08-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #53
klh
Site Supporter

If the new lenses were WR, I would definitely upgrade. As it is, I doubt this improvement is enough to get me to invest in the new model. But for those who haven't yet found the joy of these lenses, this is a very good thing.

08-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Seems to me that FA limiteds need an update in their coatings (and quick shift) much more than the DA limiteds. Just feels like they are much more prone to flare (at least the 31 and 77 are) than any of the DA limiteds. But maybe that is coming too.
08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #55
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
thinking of replacing them
If it helps at all, I'm not, but them I don't have any DA's in the first place, so perhaps it don't count.

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
It's like K 50mm f1.2 vs A 50mm f1.2
Really can't understand, just own 'em both as fine pieces of glass.
08-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Seems to me that FA limiteds need an update in their coatings (and quick shift) much more than the DA limiteds. Just feels like they are much more prone to flare (at least the 31 and 77 are) than any of the DA limiteds. But maybe that is coming too.
But if FA limited get an upgrade, people will yell "FF is coming!!"

The look of the HD DA Ltds, certainly feel a little cost saving compare to the old version (remove the engraving, remove some colors on the letters) -- to compensate for HD coating+rounded aperture blade?
08-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
not me
C'mon Amy,

It'll be fun.
08-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I might finally get the DA 15mm because of this. The nano coating will probably make a noticeable difference when shooting in sunny conditions (i.e. pretty much every day here in AZ), though I hope the bokeh from the new version is just as good. We'll see, as I've already requested the lens for review.
You, "The Grand Pubah" doesn't have one? Shameful.
08-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
C'mon Amy,

It'll be fun.
I prefer to follow...if everyone else buys them and they ooh and awe then I might have to but going to try to be strong
08-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The old versions are now obsolete and losing value every day. Before you start to notice how awful they are, and worry about the ruined images, I will generously offer 50% of the current B&H retail price.
I offer 51%...