Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #61
Veteran Member

I wonder what protection filter would I now need as not to degrade the image?

08-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Only DA I have is 50-135 so no HD coating for me
08-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The old versions are now obsolete and losing value every day. Before you start to notice how awful they are, and worry about the ruined images, I will generously offer 50% of the current B&H retail price.
That is about what they were selling for a couple of years ago...
08-30-2013, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a follow up on this thread (my second or third post), I have the green-line DA40. If I were ever to own the other 4 DA Limiteds I would probably out of sheer annoyance with the perpetually grating camera-bag dissonance sacrifice a few hundred dollars in the interest of camera bag harmony and replace the DA40 with the pretty red line HD40. In silver.

But that's just me. I'm anal.

08-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #65
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I have just the 70mm limited, and see no reason to have that replaced by the HD version.
08-30-2013, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think it's more likely I get the old "green" version of the DA ltd that i'm missing for cheap on the used market, so I hope a lot of users will upgrade to the new version.
08-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I'll keep my SMCs (DA40 & DA70), thank you. I bought them used, anyway.
But everyone else should replace their SMC-versions with the new ones immediately!

08-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
But everyone else should replace their SMC-versions with the new ones immediately!
There isn't a truer statement in Pentax world! People should realize the immense superior of HD (excuse the lame name that can be confused with the garden variety technology used in TV's), and upgrade immediately. Imagine a wave of "HD controls my mind" pics. Please upgrade people!
08-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my SMC DA40 and DA70 (although they were fine lenses) because my FA43 and FA77 are nicer to use and give me better results. If I were ever tempted to create a dedicated kit for my silver/black K-01 I would replace them in HD silver.

My SMC DA21 seems to work just fine:

As does my SMC DA15:

08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My SMC DA21 seems to work just fine:
I'm thinking you really should get the HD 21. Red is definitely your color. I would be happy to help take the old DA 21 off your hands for the right price
08-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
What I need are XS versions with the same glass and aperture in a simplified body for half the price. I have my 40mm XS (with rounded aperture blades), where are my 15mm XS and 70mm XS?
HoleyMoleyYes!
I wish that would happen. I love having the 40 XS. It feels like I dont even have a lens on. If they made 15 and 70 in XS, I would definitely get both of them straight away. Heck, I'd even pre-order it from the US!

Since it's not on the roadmap unfortunately, I might have to get the 15mm HD. Or pick up an old(er) 15mm from someone here who will be upgrading.
08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'm thinking you really should get the HD 21. Red is definitely your color. I would be happy to help take the old DA 21 off your hands for the right price
You clearly know me too well....
08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Only DA I have is 50-135 so no HD coating for me
That raises an interesting point, which may have been covered elsewhere in the discussions on the HD-coated lenses. If the DA Limited primes benefit from the better coating, how much more would the DA* zooms benefit, having a greater number of optical surfaces? Even the DA* primes would benefit as much as the Limiteds.

On the thread topic, though, I only have the SMC DA15/4 of the DA Limiteds, and I don't plan to buy any more. The flare resistance and colour rendition of that lens is well-known and documented here, so I can't see any significant advantage in changing it for the new one.
08-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Is anyone like me, thinking of replacing them with the HD version?
Not me. I have a very special relationship with my DA 70 (so much so that my FA 77 feels very neglected!) and, to a lesser extent my DA 15. I remain sceptical whether the HD coating is significantly better than SMC in the field.
08-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That raises an interesting point, which may have been covered elsewhere in the discussions on the HD-coated lenses. If the DA Limited primes benefit from the better coating, how much more would the DA* zooms benefit, having a greater number of optical surfaces? Even the DA* primes would benefit as much as the Limiteds.
I believe one of the reasons for Pentax to use HD coating is that it's cheaper and easier to produce than SMC, so I expect it to be used on all lenses eventually. And as HD is superior to SMC there is no drawback on using the new coating.

At least by Pentax description on the HD coating, it look like HD coating manufacturing process is easier to control with higher yield on produced lens elements.
QuoteQuote:
In conventional multi-layer processes, the coating layer is produced by the vacuum evaporation method, in which coating materials are dissolved and deposited in a vacuum. This method, however, sometimes causes coating unevenness great enough to affect image quality.
The HD Coating* effectively solves this problem by employing a PENTAX-exclusive manufacturing process, while optimizing the density of its coating layer and controlling the thickness with the accuracy of one nanometer (one millionth of a millimeter). As the result, the original design parameters for the lens coating are accurately applied to the coating layer to optimize anti-reflection performance of a lens.
The reason they started to update DA Ltd might be because they are produced in smaller batches, and as they use small lens elements it might be easier to change coating process on them.