Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who is going to replace DA ltd with the HD version?

Just when I complete my DA limited lenses last year, they now have the HD version...

Is anyone like me, thinking of replacing them with the HD version?

If I am crazy enough, maybe keep all my current DA limited lenses (they are now really LIMITED version), and get the HD version in Silver color?
that will be another slow collection, but then the silver version is no longer "limited" in quantity like last time, so one can collect them slowly.

08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No way would I even consider it.
08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

not me
08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
If I am crazy enough, maybe keep all my current DA limited lenses (they are now really LIMITED version), and get the HD version in Silver color?
Would love to have your disposable income

08-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Probably not,

I like the look of the original versions more (green band > red band)

Plus, I'm sure the improvement can be achieve after tinkering it a little in post process, if they are even that noticeable.

I never had the 70mm, so maybe I would try that one out
08-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own all the limiteds and my buying plan isn't headed in that direction at the moment but ... this could change. The HD lenses have made me start thinking about the 35macro. So I think, I'm likely to buy an HD version of one I don't own versus replace either my DA40 or DA15 at this point.
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I might finally get the DA 15mm because of this. The nano coating will probably make a noticeable difference when shooting in sunny conditions (i.e. pretty much every day here in AZ), though I hope the bokeh from the new version is just as good. We'll see, as I've already requested the lens for review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's like K 50mm f1.2 vs A 50mm f1.2...
08-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I don't own all the limiteds and my buying plan isn't headed in that direction at the moment but ... this could change. The HD lenses have made me start thinking about the 35macro. So I think, I'm likely to buy an HD version of one I don't own versus replace either my DA40 or DA15 at this point.
This! I have the 40mm Ltd. now and don't feel compelled to buy the 40mm Ltd. HD. But when I buy a portrait lens, I will consider the 70mm Ltd. HD. In reality, though, I'm looking forward to all the people who will be selling their green-band ltd's on the used market.
08-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Will consider when reliable comparison reports between the SMC and HD are out.
08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own the DA 40 and DA 15, I use the 15 a whole lot and if I could actually see a difference in posted photos, I would consider an upgrade, but honestly, the 15 isn't a bokeh monster and won't turn into one with rounded aperture blades. It is already pretty flare resistant, so I just don't know if the money out lay would make any sense.
08-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Will consider when reliable comparison reports between the SMC and HD are out.
At photokina/CP+, Pentax had a demo stand showing you the difference in reflectivity & color cast between the two coatings. Whether or not this actually has an effect on your photos is another story.

I will say, though, that Nikon's nano crystal coat is pretty good. If the new Pentax coating is comparable, then it should at least do a better job of suppressing ghosting and flare. I will certainly investigate this

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I might finally get the DA 15mm because of this. The nano coating will probably make a noticeable difference when shooting in sunny conditions (i.e. pretty much every day here in AZ), though I hope the bokeh from the new version is just as good. We'll see, as I've already requested the lens for review.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At photokina/CP+, Pentax had a demo stand showing you the difference in reflectivity & color cast between the two coatings. Whether or not this actually has an effect on your photos is another story.

I will say, though, that Nikon's nano crystal coat is pretty good. If the new Pentax coating is comparable, then it should at least do a better job of suppressing ghosting and flare. I will certainly investigate this
How do I get your job? Or, do you need an apprentice? Forward the lenses to me when you're done and I'll write a competent, comprehensible review. HMU, yo!
08-28-2013, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I like the look of the original versions more (green band > red band)
And they obviously made a typo. It's supposed to be "SMC HD"
08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I can't wait to see some reviews and comparisons