Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Mitakon 85/2.0 II and 135/2.8 very initial impression

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Got my 85/2.0 ver II and 135/2.8 from the ebay seller last night. It took about 2 weeks, which is still well under the the specified shipping time frame, so no complaints there. Also my brand new K500 arrived today and I was able to take some shots with the combo. Here're my very early impression from my first 40 or 50 frames. I'll post K500 impression another day. I know quite a few of you are waiting to see this. BTW - I use a split screen on K500. I took out the stock screen before I even take a first shot. And I've found it's very easy to focus with those two lenses and focus is very accurate.

First off, the packaging is the worst I've ever seen. If you've ever opened a Rokinon/Bower/Samyang 85/1.4 or 35/1.4, this is 100 times worse. The thin paper box and foam inside offers little protection. The foam packaging was wrapped around with household clear plastic tape to prevent the lens from falling outside the box.

Both lens are quite solid. The 135 being especially so (@700 grams). I got the 85mm in silver, and 135mm in black. 85 seems to be made of aluminium while 135 seems to be made of brass. 85 does resemble the Limited's. 135 resembles the Leica telephoto's. I really like the look of both of them.

Build quality -
I'm surprised that there are signs of dust in within both lenses. 135mm is worse than 85mm. They don't seem to affect IQ however. I've got a used 50/1.4A that's probably been around for 15 years. That thing has less dust inside than the 135. Obviously there's little QC or very low standards in the factory.

The Manual focus ring on the 85 turns easier than the 135 (less resistance, almost feels like by wire). 85 has a very long focus throw IMO, however sometimes it's not any easier to focus, because it is not very precise and not very smooth. Maybe I'm overly critical, but of all the manual focus lenses I've used, the 85 probably offers the worst feel. 135 is better in this regard, with a higher level of resistance, similar to the Zeiss, but smoothness falls way short.

Both offers built in hood, and offers the right amount of resistance when pulling out and retract. 135 feels especially nice, much better than nikkor 105/2.5 AIS, for comparison.

The lenses do NOT offer aperture lever. The lens stops down when you turn aperture ring. It is only a Pentax mount. The K500 meters just fine using TTL metering. However it seems like I'm stuck in AV mode even when I turn to M, TV, TAV modes. The viewfinder becomes very dim (I was doing most shots indoors) when you turn aperture smaller than 5.6. I do not recommend using these lenses for landscapes or anything smaller than f5.6.

On aperture ring - the 85 was stated to have a "mute" aperture ring. well, it is definitely not clickless, but it is not very clicky. The 135 is very clicky, almost like Voigtlander's 17mm and 25mm for micro 4/3. The click is very positive. 85mm is "muted". If you turn the aperture ring slowly, you'll not hear a click, but you'll feel a distinct stop. I much prefer 135's positive click. Both lenses only offer 1 stop clicks, I wish there's half stop.

and finally, image quality. Since I've only shot 40 frames or so this is very preliminary. It's worth noting that both are full frame lens. 85 seems to offer more vignetting wide open. At f2, 2,8 and 4.0, 85 seems to give nice bokeh (I did not shoot f5.6). This lens has 10 blades and even stopped down it's very circular, though the blades themselves are not circular design. f2 seems good, but f2.8 definitely offers sharpness improvement over f2. Exactly how much I'll have to do more testing later. I was pleasantly surprised by the 135's sharpness. Wide open it seems very good already. Since I didn't shoot with tripod, it was a challenge to get decent handhold shutter speed indoors, I have not shot much with 135 at other apertures. I'll be traveling this weekend and hopefully will have a collection of samples.

here's where i got the lens -
135mm F2 8 Zhongyi Mitakon Silent Frame Prime Lens for Pentax PK Mount Camera | eBay
Mitakon 85mm F2 0 Zhongyi Manual Silent Frame Prime Lens for Pentax PK Camera | eBay

here are some shots of the combo and size comparison.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7700  Photo 

Last edited by brelip; 08-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
08-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These look interesting, more so the 85 in my case. Too bad about the full-stop clicks though.
On with the tests!
08-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, the focus rings turn in opposite directions - 135 is the Pentax way, 85 is not.
08-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hadn't realized there was a 135mm 2.8 in addition to the new 85mm. A nice surprise!

It's a shame about the dust, although as you say it doesn't it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. I've had one or two lenses with less-than-clicky f-stop positions, although even that isn't the end of the world. When it comes to manual focus I really need a nice feeling ring with the proper amount of dampening. Lifeless focus and zoom rings are like a limp handshake. Eww!

Like most people I'm very curious about the image quality of these lenses. The manual focus Samyang 85mm would be the closest comparison to the Mitakon, and that lens is a bargain next to Sigma's AF 85mm. Both have very similar, very high image quality. I can't wait to see if Mitakon can deliver the same goods as the Samyang at almost half the price...

08-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So... how is the IQ on that 135/2.8?

QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
Got my 85/2.0 ver II and 135/2.8 from the ebay seller last night. It took about 2 weeks, which is still well under the the specified shipping time frame, so no complaints there. Also my brand new K500 arrived today and I was able to take some shots with the combo. Here're my very early impression from my first 40 or 50 frames. I'll post K500 impression another day. I know quite a few of you are waiting to see this. BTW - I use a split screen on K500. I took out the stock screen before I even take a first shot. And I've found it's very easy to focus with those two lenses and focus is very accurate.

First off, the packaging is the worst I've ever seen. If you've ever opened a Rokinon/Bower/Samyang 85/1.4 or 35/1.4, this is 100 times worse. The thin paper box and foam inside offers little protection. The foam packaging was wrapped around with household clear plastic tape to prevent the lens from falling outside the box.

Both lens are quite solid. The 135 being especially so (@700 grams). I got the 85mm in silver, and 135mm in black. 85 seems to be made of aluminium while 135 seems to be made of brass. 85 does resemble the Limited's. 135 resembles the Leica telephoto's. I really like the look of both of them.

Build quality -
I'm surprised that there are signs of dust in within both lenses. 135mm is worse than 85mm. They don't seem to affect IQ however. I've got a used 50/1.4A that's probably been around for 15 years. That thing has less dust inside than the 135. Obviously there's little QC or very low standards in the factory.

The Manual focus ring on the 85 turns easier than the 135 (less resistance, almost feels like by wire). 85 has a very long focus throw IMO, however sometimes it's not any easier to focus, because it is not very precise and not very smooth. Maybe I'm overly critical, but of all the manual focus lenses I've used, the 85 probably offers the worst feel. 135 is better in this regard, with a higher level of resistance, similar to the Zeiss, but smoothness falls way short.

Both offers built in hood, and offers the right amount of resistance when pulling out and retract. 135 feels especially nice, much better than nikkor 105/2.5 AIS, for comparison.

The lenses do NOT offer aperture lever. The lens stops down when you turn aperture ring. It is only a Pentax mount. The K500 meters just fine using TTL metering. However it seems like I'm stuck in AV mode even when I turn to M, TV, TAV modes. The viewfinder becomes very dim (I was doing most shots indoors) when you turn aperture smaller than 5.6. I do not recommend using these lenses for landscapes or anything smaller than f5.6.

On aperture ring - the 85 was stated to have a "mute" aperture ring. well, it is definitely not clickless, but it is not very clicky. The 135 is very clicky, almost like Voigtlander's 17mm and 25mm for micro 4/3. The click is very positive. 85mm is "muted". If you turn the aperture ring slowly, you'll not hear a click, but you'll feel a distinct stop. I much prefer 135's positive click. Both lenses only offer 1 stop clicks, I wish there's half stop.

and finally, image quality. Since I've only shot 40 frames or so this is very preliminary. It's worth noting that both are full frame lens. 85 seems to offer more vignetting wide open. At f2, 2,8 and 4.0, 85 seems to give nice bokeh (I did not shoot f5.6). This lens has 10 blades and even stopped down it's very circular, though the blades themselves are not circular design. f2 seems good, but f2.8 definitely offers sharpness improvement over f2. Exactly how much I'll have to do more testing later. I was pleasantly surprised by the 135's sharpness. Wide open it seems very good already. Since I didn't shoot with tripod, it was a challenge to get decent handhold shutter speed indoors, I have not shot much with 135 at other apertures. I'll be traveling this weekend and hopefully will have a collection of samples.

here's where i got the lens -
135mm F2 8 Zhongyi Mitakon Silent Frame Prime Lens for Pentax PK Mount Camera | eBay
Mitakon 85mm F2 0 Zhongyi Manual Silent Frame Prime Lens for Pentax PK Camera | eBay

here are some shots of the combo and size comparison.
09-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

well they actually have a very good 31/1.9 alt----------a 35/1.9 LOL and don't forget the 35/0.95. (yes, 0.95).
Anyway if I still live in China I might get a set. But here I have to say thank you for at least trying those "made in China Lenses".
Waiting for your test shooting (if you still have them )
Best,
Bing
09-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

PS here is a link if you would like to see some pictures:
http://forum.xitek.com/thread-738700-1-1-1.html
all in Chinese, but just FYI.
Best,

10-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I would love to see some shots from both lenses. Also, did anybody pull the trigger on the new 35/1.9?