Hi Everyone,

Which one is better, limited or * ?

Any comparison about this?

Thanks

09-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are completely different design philosophy. Limiteds are built to be compact (they are the pancake lenses) and are quite unique in the industry. There are no limited zooms, just primes. The DA* lenses are more like the conventional premium/pro offerings from Canikon - fast , constant aperture zooms (mostly) with weather sealing and silent focus systems. They are much larger and heavier than limiteds.
09-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Please elaborate on what you regard as better, because "better" may not be the correct choice of words. They are just different like Matt says.
09-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For flat out resolution the DA*s are probably the best. For an overall IQ I'd say it's a saw off. The limiteds produce great images, they just seem to employ a design philosophy no other camera company employs. I don't know why I like the 21 ltd images more than images taken with many other lenses, I just do. In terms of carrying weight.. the DA*s are out of this world heavy. I love my DA* 60-250, but it gest left home in favour of the DA 18-135 and A-400. I can take the 21 ltd anywhere, because it fits in my pocket, and it frequently goes on my K-01 as a second body.

The DA*s are right up there being compared with their Nikon and Canon counterparts... the ltds really have no peers, if you like them.

09-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wmf2012 Quote
Which one is better, limited or * ?
The DA* lenses have SDM,
while the Limited lenses have screwdrive.
So you trade silence for reliability.

Neither is "better" in an absolute sense.
It depends on your personal priorities.
09-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are no lenses of the same FL in limited and star. I have many limiteds but no stars, because that's what I wanted. If I wanted a 50-135, or 60-250, I'd have a star.

The closest range is the DA*16-50 vs Limited 15/21/40. About the same range, about the same price. Do you want a zoom or primes? It's that easy.
09-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I love both series.
There are times when bigger, heavier and prosaic are small prices to pay for versatile, sharp, silent and weather resistant.
Other times small, light and quirky wins by miles.

09-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Do you want a zoom or primes? It's that easy.
Well, there are also the DA*55, DA*200, and DA*300.

And maybe the limited zoom (FA 20-35 remake?) from the roadmap in "2013 or later".

Choices, choices . . .
09-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Personally, I love both series.
There are times when bigger, heavier and prosaic are small prices to pay for versatile, sharp, silent and weather resistant.
Other times small, light and quirky wins by miles.
There in lies the problem. If you own them all, sometimes you take both. If I'm going out with just the DA*60-250, taking the 21 ltd and XS40 with me to cover wide angle and standard, just makes sense, and it hardly adds any weight. Ad the Sigma 8-16 to that and you have a pretty awesome 4 lens line up. They compliment each other more than they compete against each other.
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA * lenses are bigger (with sealing), whereas the DA limiteds are smaller, with all metal construction and relatively slower apertures. Hard to compare them, since few come in the same focal length as each other.
09-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Please elaborate on what you regard as better, because "better" may not be the correct choice of words. They are just different like Matt says.
I own DA*55 and DA*16-50 before with K5 , i might be get a "bad copy" because i'm not happy with the result in term of image quality. somehow i feel my cheap kit lens 18-55 WR produce a better image quality. Now i'm a bit confuse... i sold the lens to others and they are very happy with the result... this is either my K5 not good to use those or something else... thinking to buy the limited now..
09-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wmf2012 Quote
I own DA*55 and DA*16-50 before with K5 , i might be get a "bad copy" because i'm not happy with the result in term of image quality. somehow i feel my cheap kit lens 18-55 WR produce a better image quality. Now i'm a bit confuse... i sold the lens to others and they are very happy with the result... this is either my K5 not good to use those or something else... thinking to buy the limited now..
Hmm, that`s confusing indeed...you mean both DA*`s performed worse than the WRkitlens?
My DA*16-50 beats my 18-55WR with 2 hands down, one eye closed and standing on one leg. I also have the 15 and the 35ltd and IQ is on par with the DA* (or visa versa), they just render different (more dreamy, hard to discribe)
09-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Limiteds are light, inconspicuous lenses. That's their strength. The tradeoff is that they are not very fast. And being only primes, you may have to swap them a lot.

DA*'s are heavier, bigger lenses that employ weathersealing. Although they are somewhat smaller/lighter than Canikon equivalents, there is nothing inconspicuous about them. Both DA* zooms and primes are relatively fast.

Both should produce excellent image quality, bearing in mind that most zooms don't offer the same corner-to-corner resolution that primes offer, esp. near the maximum aperture.
09-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The Limiteds and DA* lenses are the top of the line lenses Pentax offers in their respective categories. Since each lens is designed for a different purpose, it makes no sense at all to discuss which is better. They are all good lenses and hold their own very well in IQ when compared to other manufacturers offerings in similar sizes. The Limiteds are unique for their size and light weight although there have been other "pancake" lenses through the years.
09-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said, it's not black and white.

If I'm shooting an all day outdoor music festival the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 on two K-5's will do 95% of the work. I will still pack some or all of DA10-17, FA31, DA*55, FA77 and maybe DA*300 for special purposes/back-up.

If I'm travelling really light for my own pleasure, I pack the K-01 with up to four limiteds (I include the DFA100WR in this group) in a very compact case. Maybe a couple of 49mm filters and there's not much you can't shoot.

Most times I pack a combination.