Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Yes. I turned the switch on the camera to MF and it does not turn smooth at all. I just took it off the camera and it does the same thing. It sort of drags and catches and jerks when I turn it...

Crapper...my first foray into the world of Pentax.
My manual focus ring on the DA 18-250 does that too. The IQ is good on the 18-250. I'm just picky/crazy so I'm actually trading my 6 week old 18-250 in for a M or A135 (M most likely) and a A28. I'll be 100% primes then

03-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
My manual focus ring on the DA 18-250 does that too. The IQ is good on the 18-250. I'm just picky/crazy so I'm actually trading my 6 week old 18-250 in for a M or A135 (M most likely) and a A28. I'll be 100% primes then
Did you ever try to take your lens back? It just seems odd for it to be that way - with what little knowledge that I have of lenses, it still seems like the manual focus ring should be butter smooth.
03-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Did you ever try to take your lens back? It just seems odd for it to be that way - with what little knowledge that I have of lenses, it still seems like the manual focus ring should be butter smooth.
I would start a new thread explaining your problem and asking other owners what their experience is. Where did you buy it from? Can you get a replacement?
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The 18-250mm does not feature quick-shift focus. If you want to focus manually you'll have to turn the switch on the camera to MF.

If you've already done this and the focus ring is still not smooth, then I would say you have a defective unit. Does it also turn with difficulty when it's off the camera?
This lens will focus manually?

I've had this lens for a year now, and can safely say that I've never focused it manually. For all I know, mine behaves the same way as this one does.

Other than that, I love my lens. I put it on my K20D for the first time the other day. I had read that there was a possibility that the higher resolution of the K20D may start to show resolution limits with this lens. However, I didn't notice that at all, so I'm confident I can use the lens as I have for the past year (primarily as my family travel lens so they don't have to wait on me to fumble with lenses).

Here's a recent shot with it.

03-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I would start a new thread explaining your problem and asking other owners what their experience is. Where did you buy it from? Can you get a replacement?
I thought about that and about how I probably hijacked this thread (for which I am sorry!)...but I took the lens back today to Ritz and got another one. The guy behind the counter, aka "the salesman" (Him: "See why you should buy Ritz's extended warrenty??" Me: "Umm...No. Thanks for asking though.") said it was screwed up and the one I switched out for rotates just fine.

This is why I don't mind spending the extra money to buy local...if something goes wrong with something I bought off the net, I have to wait for who knows how long to get it back. I am very much about the conveniences of the "local" camera shop.

And thank you guys for the help...