Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do I quantify or see effect of dust in my lens?

Ever since I got my K-30 in June I have been building up a small army of M42 primes in various focal lengths. Honestly, I love every single one of them and because of them I have only minimal LBA pangs. Every single one of them has internal dust. The dust is very easy to see with the aide of a bright light. I have read in many places on the web that dust has a minimal impact, if any, on image quality. The worst it could do is affect the contrast in an otherwise beautiful and colorful photo. The dust has to be seriously huge for it to easily show up on a photo.

Is there some sort of extreme test condition that I could create where the dust on the inner elements of my lenses would actually show up in a picture and obviously stand out over any sensor noise? I'm just curious more than anything now.

Thanks!

09-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

Not sure about any tests you can do but this article should remove any fear about internal dust in the lens. LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

Regards
09-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For anything besides the rear element, I don't think it's entirely possible to see them. Besides maybe stopping down to F45 or something like that.
09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Most probably, never! LensRentals.com - The Apocalypse of Lens Dust

09-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, I'd have to think that at some point, dust can be a problem.

Like when a lens gets dusted from a color run. The Lens Rental guys say they won't cover that, so obviously that is "too much" dust.

I have some old hazy lenses, where you can see poor image contrast. I know a lens hood will help, but still, the fundamental problem is there .... so I think the question (how to objectively characterize the amount of dust) is a fair one. Don't know the answer though.
09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Well, I'd have to think that at some point, dust can be a problem.

Like when a lens gets dusted from a color run. The Lens Rental guys say they won't cover that, so obviously that is "too much" dust.

I have some old hazy lenses, where you can see poor image contrast. I know a lens hood will help, but still, the fundamental problem is there .... so I think the question (how to objectively characterize the amount of dust) is a fair one. Don't know the answer though.
I think the fear of the colour run dust is that the dust gets everywhere in excess - and can jam the focusing mechanism, for example. But normal dust on lens elements should be pretty invisible.
09-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try high-key photos, or directly light sources...
Dust that can lit up by a light source, in theory, can reduce the contrast.

f16 or f22 also visible, but depends.

nothing in my concern...