Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was using a Canon body I had the barrel crack on my Sigma 24-70 F2.8. The lens was several years out of warranty so I sent it to CRIS for repair. I forget the price, but it was very reasonable and the lens looked like new when returned. In fact I wish I had sent the lens to them years earlier because it always had a very slight front focus issue, but CRSI fixed that problem too.
I recommend them.

09-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It is good to know they can also fix third party lens' FF problem without extra charge.
Thanks for posting.
09-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Had my Kr e-dial replaced under warranty. Took 3 weeks and cost nothing, not even shipping. They cleaned the sensor, viewfinder, mirror, body, etc.
09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

My K30 took a spill, cracked the glass in the viewfinder. I sent the camera and the attached lens for exam and repair, and $120 and 2 weeks later, it came back good as new.

09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My K-5 fell over on the tripod and suffered an injury to the outer casing, which in turn impeded the function of several buttons. Sent it to CRIS for repair. Parts were missing, so it took them a couple of months, but they got it fixed for $169. They added a free cleaning of the sensor.

Also had to send the K-5 in when the lens release button decided to plop off. That was under warranty and they fixed it in a matter of days, adding a free cleaning for good measure. Including postal delivery time, I was without the camera for about ten days.
09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #21

cris

My DA* 16-50 has been at cris since 6/28/13. It is now 9/15/13. Parts still on order. Had a bad AF motor.
09-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used CRIS numerous times for both lenses and camera body repairs and I have never had a bad experience.

They give you a very rough estimate online, but usually within about two days of them receiving the equipment they will send you an email with a detailed estimate, which in my experience has usually been a little lower than the online quote but YMMV. Once you approve the repair estimate they usually begin repairs within 1 to 2 business days. The actual repair time will vary depending on the complexity of repairs and whether they have the parts in stock or not (you can follow the repair progress through their online system using an order number that they assign you after you approve the repair.) I have had them finish repairs in as little as 2 days in the case of a misaligned K10 sensor and I have had them take as long as 4 weeks in the case of my dropped 18-250.

I just had my K20 repaired after the shake reduction lever fell apart while on a trip and the repair ended up costing me the same as a cleaning would have. One word of caution, in my experience when they fix something they also clean and reset the camera / lens to factory settings as well as update any firmware if needed. If you have custom settings in your camera such as focus adjustments and such you might want to make note of those before you send it in as it will come back with the settings as if you just got a brand new camera right out of the box.

Last edited by Odinz; 09-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.
09-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:
Got the email back from CRIS today (11 days after they received the package).
They gave me the estimate for repairing/service including following for ~$240. Very good for replacing three parts (SDM unit, Main PCB assembly and zoom roller) plus adjustment and cleaning. The repair cost is much lower than I thought. Eric estimated $200-300 for repairing the zoom ring problem only (I know it was just his estimate and he will very likely charge much less).

But they have to order the parts and I will have to wait for 3-4 weeks. A little longer than I would like to, but not too bad if I CAN get the lens back after 4 weeks.

ESTIMATE TO REPLACE SDM UNIT
REPLACE MAIN PCB ASSEMBLY
REPLACE ZOOM ROLLER
ADJUST TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
REPAIR COMES WITH A 6 MONTH SERVICE WARRANTY
10-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two weeks past. I logged in my CRIS account to check the status. It shows "parts holding". I called to check how long they expect the holding time could be, and was very politely told "don't know".
Well, I guess they (CRIS) have no control on parts if they have to order from Pentax. I am surprised they apparently don't have parts in stock? I looked at the parts that is repaired for my lens, nothing special at all and this lens is known to have this problem.
Anyway, I wish CRIS could update with me the status, instead of I had to log in and call to find out; and I really hope pentax/Ricoh could make things easier. Can not imagine in US, such a big market, finding a common part is so hard.
Service is also an important part of a product.
Luckily, i have 16-45 so I can wait. But I can imagine the feeling if someone is really rely on this lens.
10-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Two weeks? There are reports here of folks waiting 3-4 months so far without any expected repair date.
10-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Originally I was told 3-4 weeks, so I logged in to check. Now the reality is "parts hold" for who knows how long.
3-4 months? I guess I would have to buy a replacement if i really rely on that lens.
I guess i should not blame CRIS, although I wish they can have some parts in their own stock. After all, they are the only Pentax authorized repair store.
I will be patient. Hope I can get it back as a Christmas "gift".
10-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As you said it isn't CRIS's fault. Image how many inquires they field everyday because of this. I give them credit for being patient with the customers - everyone has said they are always very nice on the phone.

With a backlog of repairs for 3-4 months - image the big push when these mystery parts finally arrive........
10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Had my Kr e-dial replaced under warranty. Took 3 weeks and cost nothing, not even shipping. They cleaned the sensor, viewfinder, mirror, body, etc.
Same experience for me with my K-5. Unfortunately for me, the e-dial problem re-appeared 9 months later (3 months after the repair warranty) so now I need to re-send it in on my dime (actually it will be a lot more than that). I'm not happy about this.

At least the K-3 will FINALLY come out and I can make my K-5 my backup camera.
11-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally, got the lens back from CRIS today. Two months totally. Not too bad i guess, comparing with others members much longer waiting.
A few things:
1. I really hope CRIS can send me a notice of the progress. I received NO email from CRIS after price quote. No notice of parts holding, no notice of parts came in, no notice of UPS tracking number. You will have to log in their website to check all by yourself. How if I am out of town during the time of delivery? I guess UPS will send it back to CRIS? If the lens requires one more month of waiting, I will be on vacation.
2. The lens makes laud high pitched sound when AF, like beeping of camera for AF confirming. My 50-135 is absolution silent, and 55/1.4 also has a little noise, but not that bad. I herd good things about how silent the 16-50 AF, but mine came back pretty bad. Not sure if it is a sign of SDM problem again. I hope they have replaced a good one (new one) in the lens.
3. The lens back focus badly. It worked fine, very accurately on screw drive af before SDM repair.
All in all, not a very happy experience.
11-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Over the course of the past several years;

AF360FGZ sent in four (five?) times for same problem (not syncing with wireless) still not resolved.
One other time sent for different repair, problem simply not fixed and had to be sent back.
Problem still exists. Gave up on trying.

DA* 50-135 sent for repair. Came back severely out of focus. Sent back. Came back perfect.
A few weeks later, weather seals popped out of body. Sent back again.

DA* 16-50 (#1) sent back four times for same repair regarding stuck zoom.
DA* 16-50 (#2) sent back three times for same repair, regarding stuck zoom.
Problem still exists. Gave up on trying.

K5 body sent in for basic cleaning... came back "ok", but while photographing in mild rain, it stopped working.
Basically the body filled with water. Weather seals obviously NOT working as well as they had for prior two years (lets say like not at all!).
They would not repair under warranty due to wear damage!

Each repair takes generally 8 to 12 weeks, as parts are always on back order.
1-2 weeks of that is of course shipping. But 6-10 weeks is a bit excessive, but I guess they don't stock much Pentax gear.

My AF540FGZ needs minor repair, but I fear for its life as CRIS is the ONLY real Pentax repair facility in the US. I do not trust them.

I want the K3, but CRIS is *the* reason I will probably not be continuning with Pentax/Ricoh branded equipment once this one breaks down.