Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
post your CRIS lens repair experience and cost

Hi Guys,
I guess quite a few of us have faced such a problem: when a lens gets problem and is not covered by warranty, information is usually very limited in terms of estimating price for such a repair service. My DA 16-50 needs repair for its jammed zoom ring. Eric estimated $200-300. Of course it was just an rough estimate and I guess he gave me a price on higher end so I won't be surprised when I see his bill. CRIS refuse to give an estimating price, but sending back and forth plus handling fee is about $40.
Why not everyone post your CRIS repair experience? including the model of lens, symptom you have seen, the problem CRIS reported, and final cost. It should be helpful when it is time to make a decision where to send the sick lens to, or whether it is worthwhile to send it out for repair.

09-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have only sent camera bodies to CRIS, and those repairs I had to pay for (non-warranty) were cheaper than I expected. I had the entire aperture mechanism replaced on a K10D for $150. Don't pay up front -- just send it to them and ask for cost. What's the alternative? You'll have to send it to someone unless you have a local guy. (And $40 for shipping seems a tad high.) I would think less than $200 for a jammed ring, but who knows...
09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
(And $40 for shipping seems a tad high.)
CRIS charges $12 for inspection. That is what I was told in the email sent this morning. ~$10 each way for priority mail.
good to know CRIS sometimes charges reasonably.
09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
CRIS charges $12 for inspection. That is what I was told in the email sent this morning. ~$10 each way for priority mail.
good to know CRIS sometimes charges reasonably.
I assume they only actually charge you for inspection if you decline the repair service, so that shouldn't be extra on your bill. They never asked me for anything like that, but it may just depend on the item and if they have to disassemble it just to see what needs fixing. But of course I understand you may in fact want to decline if the price is too high. For a Pentax-branded lens, they are probably the way to go -- don't think you are going to get a better deal elsewhere. KEH might be able to handle it, but I doubt it would be any cheaper from what I hear. But CRIS has the pipeline to the Pentax parts, etc

09-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I live in Phoenix, so CRIS is just a 30 min drive to drop off an item.
I tried another reputable shop in the area first when I had issues with my Bigma. Maybe it was just the lens, but the repair for a loose barrel, a new control board and cleaning was close to 300.
Fast forward to when I dropped my Sigma 24-70 on vacation, splitting the aperture ring. I decided to try CRIS and ended up paying around 100 for new control board, ring and cleaning.
That sold me. ever since then, any lens I purchase used from here or ebay goes straight to them for cleaning and inspection. They have been very honest with me, in fact even turning down business because they found parts would not be available etc. I actually scavenged a part for one item from a non-working sibling and they did the labor, they just wouldn't guarantee the work. But at least I didn't have to take the lens apart myself.

I also had a situation where I took a lens in for repair, but the part was delayed in arriving. I actually retrieved my lens, went on vacation and returned the lens to CRIS when I got back and they completed the repair once the part arrived. All at no extra charge... oh and they cleaned the lens for me before AND after vacation!

I find their prices to be very reasonable, their customer service to be very customer friendly, and it helps that they are "local" to me.
I give CRIS a thumbs up from my experiences, and it's 6 visits and counting
09-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very good idea.
May be it should link to the lens review section?

We all looking for review (and problems) before we buy a new item, and if problems, we need to find/estimate the risk too.

I have a similar thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/234942-how-muc...ou-repair.html
09-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the information. I guess I will send the lens to CRIS.
Any other contribution will be great. Any lens, and issue. Other members might face the same problem.
09-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I recently had my DA70 fall apart in my hands. I sent both pieces to CRIS, got the estimate ($123), had it repaired and it was back in my hands, working perfectly, in 12 days. VERY pleased with their service!

09-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does CRIS stand for?

thanks

randy
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

C (Camera)
K10D
R
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
repair
I
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
inspection
S
service
?
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services - Pentax Camera Repair

CRIS is a camera/lens service store. OEM partner for Ricoh/pentax. I personally don;t have a lot experience with them. Sent K-X for AF adjust and cleaning before warranty expired. K-x still need AF adjust, even with the lens I sent with it.
Is CRIS the only pentax authorized service center for warranty covered work? I don't know. But they can get pentax parts easier than other stores.
It located in AZ, usa.
09-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services - Pentax Camera Repair

CRIS is a camera/lens service store. OEM partner for Ricoh/pentax. I personally don;t have a lot experience with them. Sent K-X for AF adjust and cleaning before warranty expired. K-x still need AF adjust, even with the lens I sent with it.
Is CRIS the only pentax authorized service center for warranty covered work? I don't know. But they can get pentax parts easier than other stores.
It located in AZ, usa.
Yes, it is, for the USA. They stopped used all other shops late in the Hoya era.
09-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has Ricoh changed the policy? I noticed some local camera store stared to carry Pentax stuff again.
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Has Ricoh changed the policy? I noticed some local camera store stared to carry Pentax stuff again.
I meant repair. CRIS only official repair placed in USA. They used to have more...
09-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I meant repair. CRIS only official repair placed in USA. They used to have more...
I see. But the camera store used to have no new pentax stuff after Hoya took over, started to exhibit some pentax cameras and lenses. I guess that is a good news.
BTW, my lens is on its way to CRIS. Will post here back when I hear anything back. I hope it will not be a lot more than >$200.