Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

My First Problem

In over 20 years. I have the 18-55 WR lens and went to use it today and it will not autofocus, manual focus is OK. It seems like the lens is not communicating with the camera.
When I first turn on the power, the camera asks for the focal length of the lens, regardless of the mode it is in.
It acts the same on 3 different bodies, K10D's. All other lenses are working like they should, so I have narrowed it down to this lens is faulty. It has not really seen a lot of use, but if I can salvage it, it would make me feel better.
I have cleaned the contacts with electrical cleaner, mounted and dismounted numerous times, and checked the tightness of the mounting screws on the lens, all is OK. Moving the screw drive on the lens does result in focus ring moving, so it is not disconnected or anything. Camera makes no attempt to move focusing mechanism with this lens, just shows MF at the bottom of viewfinder.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. What to clean, lubricate, bang on, tap or which way to throw it, I really would like for it to work again.

Thanks, Mike

09-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you already did most of the standard things. If the camera is asking for focal length then it is not communicating with the lens, simple as that.

Usual suggestions are clean the contacts and check to see that all the little contact points are there and the same height, IE one is not sunken down in or missing. Also make sure the lens is turned all the way and locked in, but I'm sure you know that.
09-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Throw it this way, I'll dispose of it properly for you.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you've already done most of what you can do... cleaning the contacts or trying a different body should have done it. You don't happen to still have warranty on it? If not, you could always sent it in to CRIS repair for an estimate and explanation of what is wrong.
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Throw it this way, I'll dispose of it properly for you.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you've already done most of what you can do... cleaning the contacts or trying a different body should have done it. You don't happen to still have warranty on it? If not, you could always sent it in to CRIS repair for an estimate and explanation of what is wrong.
No, no warranty, I have had it for over 2 years. It just has not been used much. I will keep playing with it, and try to get it to communicate with the camera. It has to be one of the contacts, but I don't know which one. They all look OK and none set to low, I checked with a small screw driver and they are all spring loaded.
I have noticed one thing, the contacts are about half the size of an older FA lens, they look rather small when compared.
It is probably a contact point located under the lens mount that has gone bad, just not sure if I am up to digging for it.
Thanks for the replies.

09-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Does K10D have a switch from AF.S/C/MF that you accidental change? Don't have a K10D but I have made the same mistake on my K-30.
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Does K10D have a switch from AF.S/C/MF that you accidental change? Don't have a K10D but I have made the same mistake on my K-30.
Yes, it has that switch, but it makes no difference where it is positioned. The lens still shows for manual focus and does so on 3 different camera bodies. It is the only lens that is doing this, all my others are working just fine.
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Repair may not worth.
there are many 18-55wr for relatively cheap.

sounds like electrical contacts in the lens gone bad.

09-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Repair may not worth.
there are many 18-55wr for relatively cheap.

sounds like electrical contacts in the lens gone bad.
I agree, but I may just open it up a little bit to see if I can clean them or just keep trying to get it to function.
09-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to this page, only 2 contacts are used, the data and A pins. Appears the data contact on the lens is either recessed (not making contact with the camera) or the data circuit within the lens is bad.

If the image above does not show (apparently RobertsTech does not allow hotlinking), try this similar image:

Last edited by tomwil; 09-04-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added image