Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So you believe it is speculation that after:
A. Officially confirmed account that the FF camera is in works,
B. That one piece of equipment was delayed up until the moment it may be also tested on a camera that may be released in future timeframe, to insure its optimum performance?

So you do not believe Ricoh Imaging would make sure TC works fine in all cases and on all cameras?
I don't see why Pentax would need to design a FF camera to know whether the TC would work on one. That's the huge flaw in your theory.

01-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoe Quote
I would be interested in that too. Unfortunately I have no further information. I have a picture though.

Attachment 203442
I'm guessing the AW is for all weather . I think I can see the orange seal reflecting off the metal just under the white vertical line.
01-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
I think I can see the orange seal reflecting off the metal just under the white vertical line.
Wouldn't that be the alignment mark (orange dot), also indicated by the white line. A ring seal would leave a different type of reflection (not a dot, but a line instead), not to mention the seal, being closer to outer edge of the mount, would not be in the family of angles to reflect there. If there was the WR type red seal, you would see it either (a) not at all, as it's obscured from this angle, or (b) as a thin red rim on the bottom of the body - in any case, not reflected on the side of the metal mount.
01-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't see why Pentax would need to design a FF camera to know whether the TC would work on one. That's the huge flaw in your theory.
I think Ricoh is a company that doesn't put half-baked products in the market. Their quality standard is much higher and have a long term vision. Not the quick money and run. So they need to now if their products will work as advertised on any camera model and with any lens.

01-26-2014, 02:33 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Can some one please recommend where to purchase the converter?
01-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter

It hasn't been officially announced yet. I hope it will be soon.
01-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
I think Ricoh is a company that doesn't put half-baked products in the market. Their quality standard is much higher and have a long term vision. Not the quick money and run. So they need to now if their products will work as advertised on any camera model and with any lens.
My point is, they don't need to design a FF DSLR first before they can design FF compatible lenses. The D FA lenses are the prime example, designed to work on FF and APS-C bodies. There are several DA and DA* lenses known to be FF compatible, some based on Pentax film lenses.

Pentax has older 1.4X TC's. All they needed to do was update one with modern coatings, weather seals and SDM focus. The imminent arrival of the TC does not mean that FF is ready, which is what Uluru is trying to infer.
01-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #38
Pentaxian

My point is, they don't need to design a FF DSLR first before they can design FF compatible lenses. The D FA lenses are the prime example, designed to work on FF and APS-C bodies. There are several DA and DA* lenses known to be FF compatible, some based on Pentax film lenses.

Pentax has older 1.4X TC's. All they needed to do was update one with modern coatings, weather seals and SDM focus. The imminent arrival of the TC does not mean that FF is ready, which is what Uluru is trying to infer.
Agreed given the only requiremnt to test optical bahaviour is registraion distance and high resoltuion sensor I find the whole idea Ricoh had to wait for a FF camera to test ludicrous.
The idea they 'need' to test all lens on all models is so obvioulsy oxymoronic I feel like I;m talking down to point out all lens and all models have not been made yet so unlikley to delay a likley high demand product 6 years on the of chance you may have a FF offering.
or is the idea the Pentax and hence Hoya delay was becasue the're incompetent but the 'Ricoh' delay is the opposite lmfao.

I consider it almost obvious the delay was/is caused by issues mapping stepping changes with focal length for SDM lens.

If it was easy I'm confident there would plenty of working 3rd party offerings available today. a 1.4 converter is not rocket science but maybe getting SDM to function correctly is akin to it.

01-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Agreed given the only requiremnt to test optical bahaviour is registraion distance and high resoltuion sensor I find the whole idea Ricoh had to wait for a FF camera to test ludicrous...

I consider it almost obvious the delay was/is caused by issues mapping stepping changes with focal length for SDM lens.

If it was easy I'm confident there would plenty of working 3rd party offerings available today. a 1.4 converter is not rocket science but maybe getting SDM to function correctly is akin to it.
If the SDM was an issue, then the TC could have been launched more than 3 years ago, since nothing in SDM design has changed nor any new SDM lens issued.
Thus your logic isn't as tight as mermaid's brassier and you are denying any FF connection because the FF is not announced .. yet.
Anyway, I won't argue with any of you. Believe what you need. But you will see when a 150-450 FF lens comes out, for example, why the delay in TC was obviously needed.
01-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
Wouldn't that be the alignment mark (orange dot), also indicated by the white line. A ring seal would leave a different type of reflection (not a dot, but a line instead), not to mention the seal, being closer to outer edge of the mount, would not be in the family of angles to reflect there. If there was the WR type red seal, you would see it either (a) not at all, as it's obscured from this angle, or (b) as a thin red rim on the bottom of the body - in any case, not reflected on the side of the metal mount.
Jiimaa I think your right I tried to angle my pentax wr 100 macro lens and the rubber seal is at the edge and I could not angle it enough to not see the seal and the bottom of the metal . To not see the seal I had to angle it so far that no part of the metal mount was showing. So I guess that means no seal on the converter.
01-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
So I guess that means no seal on the converter.
No seal on the lens side, but the camera side will have a seal, because the TC is AW.
01-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #42

No seal on the lens side, but the camera side will have a seal, because the TC is AW.
audiobomber get out your wr lens and try to angle it so you can't see the seal .and then look at the picture post in this string . You will notice that the lens will need to be angled to the point that no part of the mount is in view . So maybe this is a picture of one they forgot to put the seal in place .
01-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If the SDM was an issue, then the TC could have been launched more than 3 years ago, since nothing in SDM design has changed nor any new SDM lens issued.
Thus your logic isn't as tight as mermaid's brassier and you are denying any FF connection because the FF is not announced .. yet.
Anyway, I won't argue with any of you. Believe what you need. But you will see when a 150-450 FF lens comes out, for example, why the delay in TC was obviously needed.
I'm not denying a converter is a neat solution to fitting aps-c lens to FF and getting good results.
But why do you need to delay a TC

When you test a lens you test the full image circle not some rectangular sub part, so irrelevant af the final sensor target you test substantially more so there is no dependency on any body for optical collimation tests.

And unless there going to change the electronics for PK mount there is no protocol differences APS-c to FF.

Now from what I hear there will be a FW change to allow this convertor to function which implies the converter notifies the body its attached and the body activates the FW to switch stepping algorithms .

We also know that Pz converter over shoot when fitted to SDM lens , the overshoot varying with focal length.

Given this converter first saw pre-production samples in 2008 when Pentax was adamant there would be no FF then why wasn't it released then if there were no issues other than waiting for FF ?
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/20125/pentax-15mm
01-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I currently have three K-mount TC:

1 - Kenko P-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS MC4 DG
2 - Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ
3 - Pentax REAR CONVERTER-A 2X-S

None work as well as I'd like with lenses like the DA*300.
I look forward to this new TC with great hope.
01-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Why all the arguing? The TC was on the lens road map, then it wasn't. Then there wasn't any road map and now it's back again. It should come this year and whether this photo is an actual shot of it, it looks pretty realistic to me. The big questions will be price and performance and those will have to wait until the official release date (but I don't expect it to be cheap).