Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

Should I Attempt

To repair my 18-55 WR lens myself or just trash it?
It is not communicating any data to my camera, a K10D. I have tried it on 3 separate cameras and it acts the same on all of them. All other lenses work fine. With this lens installed, the cameras ask for the focal length for SR when first turned on and then it will not autofocus, shows MF in viewfinder.

Does anybody know what in the lens communicates with the camera, I am only guessing it is a chip of some kind?
I can replace it with a used one from KEH for around a $100.00, but mine has only been used a few times, even though it is over 2 years old.
I am hoping I can find an electrical contact just needs cleaning, but probably hoping for too much.
I have looked through the disassembly and reassembly of the 18-55 lens, but it does not show any of the electrical components other than the pins and springs.

Anyone know if there is other information on these or anything about the electrical components?

Thanks, Mike

09-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I wouldn't trash it. If the optics are still good at worst you use it as a manual lens. Have you tried cleaning the contacts?
As for what component communicates with the camera? I'm guessing it would be similar to the DAL kit.
In which case there are at least two chips inside seen here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/139575-da-l-18-55mm-x-ray.html
09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, I had not seen that before. Yes, I used contact cleaner on it, still won't talk to the camera, so it probably has a defective chip in there.
It is not an expensive lens, but it just frosts me that just about everything you buy anymore is junk within a short time. I'll get over it and yes, will probably just use it in manual focus.
Guess I will buy manual focus from now on, then I won't be disappointed when they don't auto focus.
09-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Does the auto aperture part still work?

09-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

eBay it with full disclosure and put the money towards a second hand copy. This will cost you under $100
09-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
eBay it with full disclosure and put the money towards a second hand copy. This will cost you under $100
That's what I'd do too.
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Does the auto aperture part still work?
Yes, everything still works except the auto focus. You can still manual focus and take the shot when focus conformation is in the viewfinder. Aperture still changes and will also change shutter speed. It just does not communicate focal length when power is first applied, everything else is working fine.
Does the same on 3 different bodies. Something is probably bad on one of the chips inside the lens. It is a shame really, not a mark on the lens or lens body, you couldn't tell it apart from a new one, till you put it on a camera.
I am extremely unhappy about it.
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Electrical issues like this are annoying to fix yourself, because you can't tell if it's fixed without putting the whole thing back together. I would take a shot at it because it won't get a lot worse and I have the tools. There will be some small parts to keep track of. The ebay route is a good alternative.