Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Well,

for me it will be like an ideal walk around lens. Think of it as a 50 f/2,8 macro, because giving the conversion factor it will be. Since when I started with photography, I always had a 50mm as my standard walkaround lens, and this lens is what I was waiting for. Ok, at f/2,8 it's not as bright as I wished it to be, but then again, back in the film days, you couldn't cranck up the ISO like you can now.

As a premium, given the fact that almost all macro's are very good optical performers and being a Limited, I expect this one to be as good or better as the 31 Ltd.

I don't know if I will sell my 31Ltd though...
Never thought of a macro lens as a walk around lens. I use the 18-250mm for that, but you make a good point. Especially when you talk about optical performance. The 18-250 does have some barrel distortion at the telephoto end but not bad at the wide end.

Last edited by KFrog; 03-28-2008 at 06:13 PM.
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Putting the FA limiteds aside (they were great with FF, but less so in APS, and as the 77 lmited is to be discontinued, I believe the others will be too)
Um, you're going to put aside the best line of primes ever? They are less good with a cropped sensor?

I must say I do not follow this line of thought. Let's remove them from the list when they are out of production, and not presume to forcibly retire the main reason many shoot with Pentax.
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #33

I don't think there's a shop within a few thousand miles of me that carries this lens...
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

no whining. You live in freaking Hawaii...

03-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Um, you're going to put aside the best line of primes ever? They are less good with a cropped sensor?

I must say I do not follow this line of thought. Let's remove them from the list when they are out of production, and not presume to forcibly retire the main reason many shoot with Pentax.
I'm sorry, I think I didn't express myself very good.
They're great performers without any doubt, but what i meant was that their focal lenghts were clearly more logical as full frame, less so as APS-C. Besides, you pay a premium because they're ff lenses (ie. paying for glass that you don't use) and neither do they have manual override on AF. There are rumours that the 77 limited is discontinued. Not sure if that is true, but if so, then I guess, we can see the 31 and 43 limited to share the same destiny...
03-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
no whining. You live in freaking Hawaii...
I'll trade ya!
03-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, I think I didn't express myself very good.
They're great performers without any doubt, but what i meant was that their focal lenghts were clearly more logical as full frame, less so as APS-C. Besides, you pay a premium because they're ff lenses (ie. paying for glass that you don't use) and neither do they have manual override on AF. There are rumours that the 77 limited is discontinued. Not sure if that is true, but if so, then I guess, we can see the 31 and 43 limited to share the same destiny...
Marc your argument "that their focal lengths were clearly more logical as full frame, less so as APS-C", is debatable because if that were the case, then why is the popular FA 50 f/1.4 still around (now a short tele with the 1.5x crop factor)? It's often to narrow for indoor group shots or not long enough for solo portraits.

Secondly, your assertion that one pays a premium because they're ff lenses (ie. paying for glass that you don't use) is absurd. The difference is that ff lenses resolve a larger image circle, that's all. I can't see the correlation of FF to price. Perhaps the FA Limiteds command a higher price because the build quality is so much better than other lenses.
03-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

They're great performers without any doubt, but what i meant was that their focal lenghts were clearly more logical as full frame, less so as APS-C. Besides, you pay a premium because they're ff lenses (ie. paying for glass that you don't use) and neither do they have manual override on AF.
I see what you mean but only partially agree. The 43mm definitely makes sense on film as the "perfect normal", but I have not seen justification anywhere else for the strange focal lengths chosen for the other two lenses. 31mm makes more sense on a cropped sensor as close to a perfect normal, though it should be 28mm really. On film it is not particularly wide.

The 77mm is not long enough to be a portrait lens on film, a range which is generally recognised to start at 85mm. So on crop it works much better for the purpose, and should I ever save up the money I'll get one.

I don't see it as paying for unused glass but paying for the best glass in the business. If the DA series were as fast I would be forced to agree with you, but they are not. I do shoot wide open with the 43mm sometimes, and often shoot in the extra stop range the 40mm does not provide. In fact I need to buy some ND filters so I can do this even in brighter weather.

I do like the quick shift focus feature but if I have to choose between it and twice the light... I choose the light!

03-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #39
Inactive Account

In light of the new direction of this thread it should be noted that it may be the case that the DA limiteds are also FF compatible. We are still hoping for authoritative resolution tests, but from one opinion, the DA70 covers the film frame completely and with no vignetting or apparent loss of resolution. Check the thread pertaining to the new DA* and ltds being FF capable just down the list here.
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Well of course it is debatable, I won't deny that, but it's my view on the FA ltd's. You don't have to agree. If you don't leave them out, then with the Limiteds (existing and comming) you have a very verstile line-up, and that was all I was trying to explain...

As to DA being FF: IMHO if they are, that is only pure coincidence. Rest assured though, while great performers on APS-C, they will be average at best on a FF DSLR... One of these days I'm going to try my two DA limiteds on an MZ-S... I can't perform resolution tests, but I guess Real worlds shots will do the tric too...
08-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
... and FA Limiteds Still Available.

Funny, I always thought the DA Limiteds were intended for use on APS-C sensors cameras and the FA Limiteds were for use on Full Frame cameras. I mean you could switch them of course if you wished, but their design intent was for the sensors as I stated.

By the way it's August 2009 and the FA Limiteds are still available