Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Senior Member
KFrog's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 294
DA 35mm Available... in Japan.

LBA: DA 35mm F/2.8 macro: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I just read about it in the dpr Pentax forum. Photo's have been posted as well.

03-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
Thanks for the link. Also noticed them for sale at Matsuiyastore as well, though they seem substantially higher there than they are marked for pre-sale here in Canada.
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posts: 162
A friend of mine on vacation in Tokyo right now was quite surprised by camera pricing there being generally higher than here. I didn't get specifics from him.
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
KFrog's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 294
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Thanks for the link. Also noticed them for sale at Matsuiyastore as well, though they seem substantially higher there than they are marked for pre-sale here in Canada.
I'll have to wait and see what they go for here in the US. If too high may just go with the Tamron 90mm.

03-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
WOW!! I am completely impressed by this lens with the photos that were posted on there, esp in comparison to the 35/2. Very suprising. I want to see that lens compared to the FA 31LTD very badly.
03-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
as soon as my local shop has one I'll have it. No brainer lens for me, especially since my 31ltd didn't really work out. Now just a question of whether to spend $1K+ on a Voitlander...uggh
03-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Pentaxke's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 409
The first examples are very promissing indeed... I can't wait untill I have mine. Should be here next week. As soon as I have it, I will post some examples and compare it with my 31 LTD...

Can't wait, can't wait...
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
I really hate it that everyone has a 'local shop' that carries Pentax gear. I want a dang local shop.

03-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Pentaxke's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 409
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I really hate it that everyone has a 'local shop' that carries Pentax gear. I want a dang local shop.
Do like I do: go work in a shop that carries Pentax gear... Best part of it: I get to play with the new toys first ahead of all others.
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
as soon as my local shop has one I'll have it. No brainer lens for me, especially since my 31ltd didn't really work out. Now just a question of whether to spend $1K+ on a Voitlander...uggh
You mean 1k on the Carl Zeiss, right ?....I was debating between the CZ distagon 28/2 vs CZ 35/2 vs 31/1.8 limited. Was waiting for my Voigtlander 180mm F4 to be delivered to see how I like manual focussing, in the mean time I spend the $1k on the sigma 100-300.

But, I am curious to know why the 31mm ltd. didn't workout for you???

Thanks.

P.S: I was stunned by that first image from the Pentax 35mm macro as well, would love to see more once you guy's get a hold of one.
03-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Do like I do: go work in a shop that carries Pentax gear... Best part of it: I get to play with the new toys first ahead of all others.
The problem with that is no shops around here carry any Pentax gear.
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
You mean 1k on the Carl Zeiss, right ?....I was debating between the CZ distagon 28/2 vs CZ 35/2 vs 31/1.8 limited. Was waiting for my Voigtlander 180mm F4 to be delivered to see how I like manual focussing, in the mean time I spend the $1k on the sigma 100-300.

But, I am curious to know why the 31mm ltd. didn't workout for you???

Thanks.

P.S: I was stunned by that first image from the Pentax 35mm macro as well, would love to see more once you guy's get a hold of one.
no, figure $1K for Voigtlanders. Supply and demand. A Zeiss 100mm is $1500, the 50mm is $1K. I used to be really into macro but have to admit that my style has changed a bit so I'm not sure about sinking 4 figures into a macro lens. The 35ltd is a no-brainer for me...it covers the "normal" prime territory and gives me macro. Since I don't mind getting up close the lack of telephoto isn't an issue. Having a long macro is nice for some things though.

The 31ltd had focus issues. Could have been the combo of my body and the lens, but AF was off, and it wasn't consistent. Since you have to switch to MF on the body with the FA it was a pita to use. At that focal length, I'm usually looking at either street scenes or interior "areas". It is a lot easier for me to use AF under those conditions. One nice thing about quick shift is that I can use the AF but if I see that it needs tweaking I can do it very quickly. With the 77 I'm more likely to be shooting portrait or something "specific" (if that makes sense). In that case, taking the time to switch to MF and work the shot isn't an issue. That being said, the AF on the 77 is spot-on pretty much all the time.
03-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
no, figure $1K for Voigtlanders. Supply and demand. A Zeiss 100mm is $1500, the 50mm is $1K. I used to be really into macro but have to admit that my style has changed a bit so I'm not sure about sinking 4 figures into a macro lens. The 35ltd is a no-brainer for me...it covers the "normal" prime territory and gives me macro. Since I don't mind getting up close the lack of telephoto isn't an issue. Having a long macro is nice for some things though.

The 31ltd had focus issues. Could have been the combo of my body and the lens, but AF was off, and it wasn't consistent. Since you have to switch to MF on the body with the FA it was a pita to use. At that focal length, I'm usually looking at either street scenes or interior "areas". It is a lot easier for me to use AF under those conditions. One nice thing about quick shift is that I can use the AF but if I see that it needs tweaking I can do it very quickly. With the 77 I'm more likely to be shooting portrait or something "specific" (if that makes sense). In that case, taking the time to switch to MF and work the shot isn't an issue. That being said, the AF on the 77 is spot-on pretty much all the time.

Thanks for the reply
03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posts: 162
Could this mean the FA 31 LTD's production days could be numbered?
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
WOW!! I am completely impressed by this lens with the photos that were posted on there, esp in comparison to the 35/2. Very suprising. I want to see that lens compared to the FA 31LTD very badly.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
The first examples are very promissing indeed... I can't wait untill I have mine. Should be here next week. As soon as I have it, I will post some examples and compare it with my 31 LTD...

Can't wait, can't wait...

I look forward to your input on it Pentaxke, and Buddha, not to worry, you'll have two sets of datas to compare, I have my copy of the 35 mm on order at The Camera Store here in Calgary, 425CDN. Once I've established which is the dominant lens, I'll either return the 35 or sell my 31.

The only thing that sits in the back of my mind (as always) is whether the the 35 is FF or APS-C? It seems like the 08 roadmap will give us a lot of info on Pentax future plans regarding a FF sensor based on how these lenses are set-up. The first to come out (DA*200) is FF, but I don't know if thats just lazy old formula reuse, or if they intended it. We'll see.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, da, da 35mm, forum, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 (Japan) summonbaka Pentax Price Watch 0 05-23-2010 09:51 AM
For Sale - Sold: Samsung D-Xenogon 35mm f/2 (Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0) (US) waterhouse8800 Sold Items 1 04-25-2010 09:21 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC K 35mm/2 35mm F2 Rare Collector's Item, w/ Metal Hood (Worldwide) frank Sold Items 16 04-07-2010 05:03 AM
For Sale - Sold: Takumar 49mm lens hood for a 35mm/F2 or 35mm/F3.5 with case SteveM Sold Items 3 11-24-2009 05:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top