Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Question about DA35 2.4 lens

Since this lens extends slightly at certain focal lengths and the zoom (EDIT- focus) ring cannot be manually operated when in autofocus mode, is there a camera setting that will return the lens to its minimum length when powered off? I feel like the lens would be more secure in storage in the unextended position.

Last edited by Richjac; 09-08-2013 at 03:23 AM.
09-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richjac Quote
Since this lens extends slightly at certain focal lengths and the zoom ring cannot be manually operated when in autofocus mode, is there a camera setting that will return the lens to its minimum length when powered off? I feel like the lens would be more secure in storage in the unextended position.
I'm kind of anal about this (and other lenses), especially since it's a tight fit in my camera bag. I've found it easiest to just hold down the lens release button to disengage the AF screw and then turn the focus ring to infinity. You could also switch to MF if your camera has that option, but that's slower and it's easy to forget to switch it back. Hope that helps!

EDIT: realized I didn't answer the actual question! So: as far as I know there's no camera setting that allows this, but you can use the workaround above. After a while it's pretty routine.

--Steve

Last edited by ashurbanipal; 09-07-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: clarification
09-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pop the cap on and hit the AF. Mine always sucks in to infinity.
09-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Just focus on a distant object before you turn it off. That will pull it in.

09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Richjac Quote
Since this lens extends slightly at certain focal lengths and the zoom ring cannot be manually operated when in autofocus mode, is there a camera setting that will return the lens to its minimum length when powered off? I feel like the lens would be more secure in storage in the unextended position.
Are you talking about a different lens? The 35mm isn't a zoom lens. And no, there is no lens retraction; that feature was discontinued when Pentax stopped making power zoom lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you talking about a different lens? The 35mm isn't a zoom lens.
I think he meant the focus ring.
09-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you talking about a different lens? The 35mm isn't a zoom lens. And no, there is no lens retraction; that feature was discontinued when Pentax stopped making power zoom lenses.
Yes I meant the focus ring of course. Thanks everyone for the tips.
09-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, you can switch to MF and focus to infinity. That should be the lens at its smallest.
Some lenses have internal focusing and they don't change size. Similarly for zoom lenses.
But the DA 35mm is so small I don't think you save much space by focusing it to its smallest length. I also don't think the lens is vulnerable if its "extended"