Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Used lens grading system?

I just 'won' an auction for a lens on Ebay. The seller is a Photography store in Japan that sells their merchandise. They claimed the lens was in Excellent + condition with the glass itself being in perfect condition but there being only minor scratches on the body.

I should have had the lens by today but unfortunately I didn't realize my shipping address with PayPal was different than my address I have on Ebay and it got sent to the wrong address. Tracking says it is being returned to the sender and the seller has told me he will send it to my correct address as soon as he gets it back. *whew*

To get an idea of what Excellent + meant I searched the *net and found that Henry's in Canada uses a similar grading system and they state that an Excellent + lens could be in 90-99% of like new condition.

What I would like to know is if someone could post a photo of what a lens in that condition could look like?

Thank you,

03-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Grading system varies from store to store. You can't use Henry's grading system as the equivalent of any Japanese store. Usually, Japanese store would over-rate the body condition, while the optical/mechanical condition is right on. If the Japanese seller you mentioned is Matsuyastore, then rest assure that you will get a good copy.
03-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is exactly who I bought the lens from. I'm just hoping that the lens has not lived a hard life.
Thanks,