Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Asking for some lense recommendation

Hi all,

I used to shoot with 50mm f/1.4 on nikon film SLR which i always like the bokeh and the photos by the lense.

I have been using some 50mm f/1.4 manual focus, 35mm f/2.4 pentax lense.. but somehow feel something is missing.. or maybe just my skills.

anyway, what lense you guys will recommend for a closer performance of 50mm f/1.4 on film SLR? for the bokeh and some nice image quality?

I read that the closer will be 33.3mm..and it seems pentax got 31mm and 35mm..

I am not really familiar with pentax lense, it seems a lot of range of lense, some with more expensive

any guys can recommend lense? either pentax, or M-42 mount.. price range can be expensive or cheap.. then i can look for it from there..

09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zeiss 35/2?

Out of production in K-mount, but I believe there are still some copies lying around in stores.
The M42 version may be available more easily, and it's still in production in the "industrial" version.

Now probably cheaper than the Pentax FA 31.

There's also a Samyang 35/1.4, but I don't have any experience with that.
09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could always get a Pentax 50/1.4, or the 50/1.8. I also really like the Sigma 30mm/1.4.
09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The FA 31mm limited is a fantastic lens which although was never a cheap lens, has now unfortunately become very expensive at $1,300. Even though I love my FA31 it's hard to recommend at this price. But if you want the best lens there is around this focal length, the FA31 is it.

Short of that, I'd go for a Sigma 30/1.4. I haven't used it myself but the pictures I've seen from it are very impressive and f/1.4 provides much needed speed for subject isolation.

There is also a FA 35mm f/2 which is very good if you prefer to stick with Pentax.

09-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I really like my DA 35mm F2.8 limited macro, which on a crop body comes pretty close to the 50mm on the FF I use to shoot with.
09-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In this range, I have a Samyang (Rokinon) 35mm f/1.4 and a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG AF. They're both good.
09-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
hi will a macro lense perform not as well as a standard 35mm lense? i mean when u are using a macro lense as normal lense, what is the trade in?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I really like my DA 35mm F2.8 limited macro, which on a crop body comes pretty close to the 50mm on the FF I use to shoot with.
09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
will a macro lens perform not as well as a standard 35mm lens? i mean when u are using a macro lens as normal lens, what is the trade in?
Some macro lenses, optimized for macro work, may have lower IQ at infinity.
But the DA 35 Ltd Macro is not one of those.
It has excellent IQ from 1:1 to infinity
(with the possible exception that the bokeh can get nervous
if you're away from the close-up range).

Apart from IQ, the other issue is AF performance.
It's a long way from 1:1 to infinity,
so the AF can spend a lot of time searching.
Some macro lenses have focus limiters to stop that happening.
The DA 35 Ltd Macro doesn't have a limiter,
but it does have "Quick Shift",
so the technique is to pre-focus manually into the ball-park,
before you let the AF finish the job.
Also, make sure the focus point covers
a contrasty part of the image.

09-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
hi will a macro lense perform not as well as a standard 35mm lense? i mean when u are using a macro lense as normal lense, what is the trade in?
Many macro lenses work great for non-macro photography. They're often very sharp.

I'm sure others will chime in with other differences, but one thing I've experienced that can be an important difference is the distance scale on the focus ring. If you will be using manual focus, that is.

I have the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro (manual focus version), and it's tough to use as a non-macro lens because the focus ring is set up in such a way that you get very fine control over short distances (less than 1 meter), but the farther the subject is, the less control you have (because a very wide range is squeezed together into a small segment of the focus ring). The amount of turn to go from 2m to infinity focus is very small.

If you never (or very rarely) manual focus, then don't worry about it.