Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it. Many people here have reported good luck with getting Pentax to fix the lens, so rather than returning, I would send it in for adjustment. If at the end of it all you get it fixed, it will be worth it, a wide to normal zoom is a bread and butter lens. 28mm is just not wide enough for group photos.
I wish I had the DA*1650 when I was shooting my last wedding. But I'm sure I'd use it on the next one

03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wonder if someone can post some wide open shots of the DA* 16-50, preferably with human subject(s). I do tend to use at wide open more than stopping down (that's why we buy these fast lenses). If I get this lens, I guess I don't need to lug around my DA 12-24 as in the case of getting a 28-70.

I also would like to know the manual focus feel of the lens. I would consider my 31LTD to be quite reasonable. I despise my 12-24, especially that tiny focus ring. And I would assume the lens also has a quick shift mechanism to switch between AF and manual.

Thank you all for your help once again.
03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I doubt that lens would be optically equal to its brother 24-70. Being a constant aperture lens shows its advanced optical performance.
Sorry for the newbie question... Are constant aperture lenses optically better? Why?
Same question applies for the new Pentax 17-70 f4... why somebody should get that lens when the Sigma 17-70 cover the same focal range and being faster at the wide end?
Thank you!
03-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For zoom, constant and fast aperture shows that tremendous amount of money and time for R&D to come up with such complex optical design. These exist as pro-grade zooms. Consumer zoom has variable aperture, and slower (less R&D, less optimized). It also means the consumer version is cheaper.

However, sometimes the slower zoom can have similar IQ as the fast one. But some people need that 5% improvement.

03-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do tend to use at wide open more than stopping down (that's why we buy these fast lenses).
IMHO, 2.8 option is not for shooting wide open, it is to help with fast AF and to get bright viewfinder, dim viewfinder can cause strain if you are shooting long hours. If you shoot wedding with 2.8, the DOF will not be there, also most 2.8 zooms are not that sharp wide open.
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I plan to do some arranged portraits before the ceremony. I don't need bleeding sharp, and large aperture does give me more creativity options. But I guess I will use my primes for these.

By the way, how's the bokeh of the lens?
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I wonder if someone can post some wide open shots of the DA* 16-50, preferably with human subject(s). I do tend to use at wide open more than stopping down (that's why we buy these fast lenses). If I get this lens, I guess I don't need to lug around my DA 12-24 as in the case of getting a 28-70.

I also would like to know the manual focus feel of the lens. I would consider my 31LTD to be quite reasonable. I despise my 12-24, especially that tiny focus ring. And I would assume the lens also has a quick shift mechanism to switch between AF and manual.

Thank you all for your help once again.

The link below is all 16-50, most taken at 16mm. The first shot (and it's following crop) are wide open (2.8) Several of the shots in this link are wide open - I'll go back and look at them & label the apertures later.

---link--->Picasa Web Albums - Jay - DA_16_50

I think that f2.8 on both the 16-50 (good copy) and the 50-135 is extremely sharp - I have no problem leaving it at 2.8 a lot of the time, stopping down more for DOF needs than for sharpness.

03-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are excellent, sharp shots. I hope my copy would be as good. I just ordered the lens from Amazon. If i am lucky, i might pick up its bigger brother as well.

03-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are excellent, sharp shots. I hope my copy would be as good. I just ordered the lens from Amazon. If i am lucky, i might pick up its bigger brother as well.
Don't let the QC issues of DA16-50 influence your DA50-135 purchase. They are very different animals, apparently.

I can't comment on the bokeh of the DA16-50 yet, as my copy didn't do too well below 5.6. But the lucky people who got a good copy rave about it. Even my copy was fantastic 5.6 & above .

But it looks like your bokeh query is well answered in the JSherman shots.
03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #25

Good choice Aegisphan. I've been contemplating upgrading my Tamron to the 16-50, but I kind of like the overlap, I don't go changing lenses as much... Although I don't think my Tamron is as sharp as some of those shots in that gallery posted above.
03-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Don't let the QC issues of DA16-50 influence your DA50-135 purchase. They are very different animals, apparently.

I can't comment on the bokeh of the DA16-50 yet, as my copy didn't do too well below 5.6. But the lucky people who got a good copy rave about it. Even my copy was fantastic 5.6 & above .

But it looks like your bokeh query is well answered in the JSherman shots.
The reason i've not gone through with the purchase of the 50-135 is because I don't think I need the zoom at this range just yet. I'm mainly shooting primes, so I don't really want the 50-135 to sit there wasted. Nevertheless, I am probably going to give in soon. My damn LBA.