Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which zoom would you recommend?

So in another 4 months, I would be the main photographer for my cousin's wedding. The setting is going to be in the small local church and their beach house. I participated in several of these events in the past as a secondary shooter. I used primes back then. I shot mainly from 35mm to 85mm. There were some tight shots around 100ish, and some wide shots at 21mm. And there were lots of switchings.
Now the situation is more demanding, so I think a zoom should be better for me. Considering the current options, I'm interested in these:

Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

I know the Pentax would be the most expensive option, but I am after the optical performance. So if the Pentax is clearly the best option, I wouldn't mind to go through with it.

I also consider the DA*, but the 16-50 clearly has QC issue, and the 50-135 would be too long.

So if you have any experience with any of these lenses, please post your opinion (especially for wedding shooting). Other suggestion is welcome as well.

Thanks

03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the tamron . Never done a wedding with it, bought it for a fast intermediate lens between my sigma 10-20 and sigma 70-200 F2.8

I was very pleased on a recient trip with this lens as a slightly wide to long normal lens.
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Why not look at the Sigma 17-70mm? Or are you not needing the wide angle very much?

Thanks
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
So in another 4 months, I would be the main photographer for my cousin's wedding. The setting is going to be in the small local church and their beach house. I participated in several of these events in the past as a secondary shooter. I used primes back then. I shot mainly from 35mm to 85mm. There were some tight shots around 100ish, and some wide shots at 21mm. And there were lots of switchings.
Now the situation is more demanding, so I think a zoom should be better for me. Considering the current options, I'm interested in these:

Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

I know the Pentax would be the most expensive option, but I am after the optical performance. So if the Pentax is clearly the best option, I wouldn't mind to go through with it.

I also consider the DA*, but the 16-50 clearly has QC issue, and the 50-135 would be too long.

So if you have any experience with any of these lenses, please post your opinion (especially for wedding shooting). Other suggestion is welcome as well.

Thanks
I have a similar need and have been looking at the Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical - has anyone had any experience with this lens? Thought it would be useful for weddings and some sports action without going too long. Will this suffer too much in lower light situations? Thanks in advance.

03-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a tough call, but from experience I would have to say the Tamron 28-75mm. It is a proven performer and the image quality is very high, plus its only $350.
03-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Tamron has had a lot of good things said about it here and elsewhere.
I would think you would want at least f2.8 and I would be taking one of the limiteds as well, you might find the f1.8 very useful indoors.
03-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

Thanks
I've had all but the Sigma 2470 (did have a Sigma 2870/2.8 which was a lemon), optically the Pentax FA*2870 is clearly the winner among all. It performs better on digital SLR than it does on film cameras, and this has been verified by many users. If you don't mind the price, go and get the Pentax FA*2870, the best normal range zoom lens on Pentax digital SLR.

Last Dec I shot an entire wedding dinner session w/ this FA*2870 (and a K10D plus 540 flash) alone. I did use an FA31 and FA85 for the morning make-up session. Posted some photos here at the other forum:

Re: Happy Bride ...Photos (17x imgs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All except the first two were taken by the FA2870 lens

Good luck.

03-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the help. I would love to see more comment regarding these lenses. As expected, the Tamron is highly praised.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
Why not look at the Sigma 17-70mm? Or are you not needing the wide angle very much?

Thanks
I doubt that lens would be optically equal to its brother 24-70. Being a constant aperture lens shows its advanced optical performance.

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've had all but the Sigma 2470 (did have a Sigma 2870/2.8 which was a lemon), optically the Pentax FA*2870 is clearly the winner among all. It performs better on digital SLR than it does on film cameras, and this has been verified by many users. If you don't mind the price, go and get the Pentax FA*2870, the best normal range zoom lens on Pentax digital SLR.

Last Dec I shot an entire wedding dinner session w/ this FA*2870 (and a K10D plus 540 flash) alone. I did use an FA31 and FA85 for the morning make-up session. Posted some photos here at the other forum:

Re: Happy Bride ...Photos (17x imgs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All except the first two were taken by the FA2870 lens

Good luck.
Thanks
Those are nice wedding shots, Frank. As usual, you captured the mood of the event. I'm probably going to wait for Matsuya for another around of the Pentax.
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the help. I would love to see more comment regarding these lenses. As expected, the Tamron is highly praised.

I doubt that lens would be optically equal to its brother 24-70. Being a constant aperture lens shows its advanced optical performance.

Those are nice wedding shots, Frank. As usual, you captured the mood of the event. I'm probably going to wait for Matsuya for another around of the Pentax.
Thanks. And you won't be disappointed
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
03-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
f8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It is not without flaws but for the price it is a keeper. Propably the only lense that I have never second guessed about after buying it... (More expensive lenses do perform better but whether they perform that much better is a very good question indeed.)
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Agree with the majority here ... the Tamron 28-75 is meant to be one sharp little zoom.
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #13

Aegisphan,

Flickr: Photos from MCLauterbach

Here's some shots in a poorly lit gym with one on camera flash (into reflector, not at climbers) and a single slave in most shots. Similar conditions to a poorly lit wedding reception. All except the last portrait are with the Tamron. The last portrait is with the 50-135. You should get both. And a second body. Then you're good for sure. Good and broke. But definitely mark my vote for the Tamron. Could be a bit sharper at 2.8, but I'm comparing it to my DA* 50-135 now. Before I got that lens, I was 100% happy.

Enjoy.

Matt

Edit: 1 from the Tamron:

03-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you have 4 months before the wedding, I think you should consider the DA* 16-50 - in case your 1st copy isn't good, you have time to try a 2nd (or 3rd... :^)

Keep in mind that wide-angle can be used up close, also, to get incredible detail/resolution but a lot of image in the frame still. And you wouldn't have to be back as far to get the entire wedding party in the frame, the entire dance floor, etc as you would with a 28mm - meaning higher resolution on the subject, and quicker captures with less moving back for you.

It would be kinda harrowing to deal with testing/returning lenses, though. It took me 3 tries to get a good one - went from bad-bad-bad to sorta-ok-but-not-worth-$700 to WOW.
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
If you have 4 months before the wedding, I think you should consider the DA* 16-50 - in case your 1st copy isn't good, you have time to try a 2nd (or 3rd... :^)
My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it. Many people here have reported good luck with getting Pentax to fix the lens, so rather than returning, I would send it in for adjustment. If at the end of it all you get it fixed, it will be worth it, a wide to normal zoom is a bread and butter lens. 28mm is just not wide enough for group photos.