Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member
aegisphan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 815
Which zoom would you recommend?

So in another 4 months, I would be the main photographer for my cousin's wedding. The setting is going to be in the small local church and their beach house. I participated in several of these events in the past as a secondary shooter. I used primes back then. I shot mainly from 35mm to 85mm. There were some tight shots around 100ish, and some wide shots at 21mm. And there were lots of switchings.
Now the situation is more demanding, so I think a zoom should be better for me. Considering the current options, I'm interested in these:

Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

I know the Pentax would be the most expensive option, but I am after the optical performance. So if the Pentax is clearly the best option, I wouldn't mind to go through with it.

I also consider the DA*, but the 16-50 clearly has QC issue, and the 50-135 would be too long.

So if you have any experience with any of these lenses, please post your opinion (especially for wedding shooting). Other suggestion is welcome as well.

Thanks

03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
I have the tamron . Never done a wedding with it, bought it for a fast intermediate lens between my sigma 10-20 and sigma 70-200 F2.8

I was very pleased on a recient trip with this lens as a slightly wide to long normal lens.
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
Mikhail's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York Region, ON
Posts: 277
Why not look at the Sigma 17-70mm? Or are you not needing the wide angle very much?

Thanks
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
Outlaw's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 108
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
So in another 4 months, I would be the main photographer for my cousin's wedding. The setting is going to be in the small local church and their beach house. I participated in several of these events in the past as a secondary shooter. I used primes back then. I shot mainly from 35mm to 85mm. There were some tight shots around 100ish, and some wide shots at 21mm. And there were lots of switchings.
Now the situation is more demanding, so I think a zoom should be better for me. Considering the current options, I'm interested in these:

Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

I know the Pentax would be the most expensive option, but I am after the optical performance. So if the Pentax is clearly the best option, I wouldn't mind to go through with it.

I also consider the DA*, but the 16-50 clearly has QC issue, and the 50-135 would be too long.

So if you have any experience with any of these lenses, please post your opinion (especially for wedding shooting). Other suggestion is welcome as well.

Thanks
I have a similar need and have been looking at the Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical - has anyone had any experience with this lens? Thought it would be useful for weddings and some sports action without going too long. Will this suffer too much in lower light situations? Thanks in advance.

03-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
That is a tough call, but from experience I would have to say the Tamron 28-75mm. It is a proven performer and the image quality is very high, plus its only $350.
03-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,490
The Tamron has had a lot of good things said about it here and elsewhere.
I would think you would want at least f2.8 and I would be taking one of the limiteds as well, you might find the f1.8 very useful indoors.
03-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
...
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Pentax 28-70/2.8
Tokina 28-80/2.8

I know the Pentax would be the most expensive option, but I am after the optical performance. So if the Pentax is clearly the best option, I wouldn't mind to go through with it.

I also consider the DA*, but the 16-50 clearly has QC issue, and the 50-135 would be too long.

So if you have any experience with any of these lenses, please post your opinion (especially for wedding shooting). Other suggestion is welcome as well.

Thanks
I've had all but the Sigma 2470 (did have a Sigma 2870/2.8 which was a lemon), optically the Pentax FA*2870 is clearly the winner among all. It performs better on digital SLR than it does on film cameras, and this has been verified by many users. If you don't mind the price, go and get the Pentax FA*2870, the best normal range zoom lens on Pentax digital SLR.

Last Dec I shot an entire wedding dinner session w/ this FA*2870 (and a K10D plus 540 flash) alone. I did use an FA31 and FA85 for the morning make-up session. Posted some photos here at the other forum:

Re: Happy Bride ...Photos (17x imgs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All except the first two were taken by the FA2870 lens

Good luck.
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member
aegisphan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 815
Original Poster
Thank you all for the help. I would love to see more comment regarding these lenses. As expected, the Tamron is highly praised.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
Why not look at the Sigma 17-70mm? Or are you not needing the wide angle very much?

Thanks
I doubt that lens would be optically equal to its brother 24-70. Being a constant aperture lens shows its advanced optical performance.

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've had all but the Sigma 2470 (did have a Sigma 2870/2.8 which was a lemon), optically the Pentax FA*2870 is clearly the winner among all. It performs better on digital SLR than it does on film cameras, and this has been verified by many users. If you don't mind the price, go and get the Pentax FA*2870, the best normal range zoom lens on Pentax digital SLR.

Last Dec I shot an entire wedding dinner session w/ this FA*2870 (and a K10D plus 540 flash) alone. I did use an FA31 and FA85 for the morning make-up session. Posted some photos here at the other forum:

Re: Happy Bride ...Photos (17x imgs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All except the first two were taken by the FA2870 lens

Good luck.
Thanks
Those are nice wedding shots, Frank. As usual, you captured the mood of the event. I'm probably going to wait for Matsuya for another around of the Pentax.

03-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Thank you all for the help. I would love to see more comment regarding these lenses. As expected, the Tamron is highly praised.



I doubt that lens would be optically equal to its brother 24-70. Being a constant aperture lens shows its advanced optical performance.



Those are nice wedding shots, Frank. As usual, you captured the mood of the event. I'm probably going to wait for Matsuya for another around of the Pentax.
Thanks. And you won't be disappointed
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
03-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
f8
Site Supporter
f8's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40
I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It is not without flaws but for the price it is a keeper. Propably the only lense that I have never second guessed about after buying it... (More expensive lenses do perform better but whether they perform that much better is a very good question indeed.)
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Mechan1k's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,891
Agree with the majority here ... the Tamron 28-75 is meant to be one sharp little zoom.
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 114
Aegisphan,

Flickr: Photos from MCLauterbach

Here's some shots in a poorly lit gym with one on camera flash (into reflector, not at climbers) and a single slave in most shots. Similar conditions to a poorly lit wedding reception. All except the last portrait are with the Tamron. The last portrait is with the 50-135. You should get both. And a second body. Then you're good for sure. Good and broke. But definitely mark my vote for the Tamron. Could be a bit sharper at 2.8, but I'm comparing it to my DA* 50-135 now. Before I got that lens, I was 100% happy.

Enjoy.

Matt

Edit: 1 from the Tamron:

03-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
.


If you have 4 months before the wedding, I think you should consider the DA* 16-50 - in case your 1st copy isn't good, you have time to try a 2nd (or 3rd... :^)

Keep in mind that wide-angle can be used up close, also, to get incredible detail/resolution but a lot of image in the frame still. And you wouldn't have to be back as far to get the entire wedding party in the frame, the entire dance floor, etc as you would with a 28mm - meaning higher resolution on the subject, and quicker captures with less moving back for you.

It would be kinda harrowing to deal with testing/returning lenses, though. It took me 3 tries to get a good one - went from bad-bad-bad to sorta-ok-but-not-worth-$700 to WOW.
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.
If you have 4 months before the wedding, I think you should consider the DA* 16-50 - in case your 1st copy isn't good, you have time to try a 2nd (or 3rd... :^)
My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it. Many people here have reported good luck with getting Pentax to fix the lens, so rather than returning, I would send it in for adjustment. If at the end of it all you get it fixed, it will be worth it, a wide to normal zoom is a bread and butter lens. 28mm is just not wide enough for group photos.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, option, pentax, pentax lens, shots, slr lens, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you recommend fekish Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 09-10-2010 09:25 AM
Please recommend zoom for K7 sammie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 06-27-2010 12:24 PM
Recommend a good walk-about/travel zoom lens aaronius Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 06-18-2010 09:48 AM
An inexpensive Kiron zoom to recommend hinman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 04-10-2009 07:50 PM
I don't recommend doing this! xs400 Post Your Photos! 17 07-20-2008 03:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top