Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by arrimantim Quote
Thanks Steve, KPbICA & thornburg! As a (fairly) experienced cinematographer, it's really important to me to have a *set* of matching primes. Thornburg: other than the brand name, I don't know anything about Yashica lenses & how they work with Canon DSLRs. Were they manufactured by Contax (C-Z?) at one time?
The Yashica lenses I speak of are m42 (screw mount), the same as the Takumars. They use the same adapter on a Canon DSLR.

They were not manufactured by CZ, but there was a partnership between Yashica and Contax a little later, where their cameras and lenses used the same bayonet mount.

If you've been hanging around enough lens forums, you will recognize the name of the company that did make the Yashinon lenses--Tomioko Optical Works. Tomioka was eventually bought by Yashica.

Regarding the mirror clearance issue, I never had any trouble with the various Takumars & SMCs I've owned, but I did hear that that issue is model specific. My Canon was a Rebel T3.

09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Super-Multi-Coated lenses sell for more, so that gives you an idea of what the market thinks. Manufacturers are still improving lens coatings, so they must be important. I went along with this opinion at first, and those lenses are all worth owning.

After a while, I would see the occasional wacko talking about the unique particular look of the Super-Takumars. I bought some 55mm f1.8s and f2s because they were really cheap, and an 85mm because it was the only 85 less than $100, with a spot of fungus and blades stuck. I now believe the wackos know what they are talking about - there is a unique particular look. It's not way-out crazy like some Russian lenses. Unfortunately the 85mm prices are sky-high even on lenses in the same condition as my purchase. I learned a lot from the 55mm lenses, though. I think it's better to do this yourself than read other's opinions.

In that set of lenses, you shouldn't have any trouble finding either coating type at reasonable prices. Also those focal lengths didn't have formula changes, just coating changes, so you can see the differences yourself if you buy both versions.
09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your assistance! Always great to be able to chat with people who have 1st hand knowledge.

Just1MoreDave: Yeah - I'm thinking about trying a couple of variations - just for fun. Will post what I find (maybe do a side-by-side?).

Thornburg: Are there specific Yashica models (with any adaptable mount) that you'd recommend?
09-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I take a different slant on things. Tak's are fine, and consistent performers but you should consider the whole M42 gambit. There are tons of m42 lenses especially presets which great features. Are they perfect, no, but do they give great results, yes, when you know how to use them and learning is part of the fun.

My M42 kit is well represented, with a 16mm zenitar fisheye along with several super tak's, SMC tak's, and even a preset tak plus tele lentar, kino(kiron) Vernon edonar tele presets, a Helios 58/2 thrown in for good measure. About 16 lenses now for about 1400$, but that includes getting the zenitar brand new, and adding in a 85/1.9 super tak, and an 8 element 50/1.4. The 85 and the 16 were the only lenses (about$200 each) over $100. Many of the rest were $5-$30

There was a 10 lens takumar kit on ebay yesterday for $450 with 2 hours left in bidding, don't know whe it ended up

As for performance, coatings steadily imrprove, but SMC tak's were the gold standard for many years. Newer lenses, like my zenitar have great coatings, perhaps as good as SMC , older lenses are not as good, and the gap was more then than now between off brand and pentax

09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by arrimantim Quote
Thornburg: Are there specific Yashica models (with any adaptable mount) that you'd recommend?
The ones I have personal experience with are mostly the "DS" series in m42, which I find quite nice, but are widely regarded as lower quality than the later ML series (which were C/Y bayonet).

My favorite Yashinon lens, of those I've used, is an Auto-Yashinon DX 135mm f/2.8.

I've also got a 28mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2.8. I'm not a big fan of the 35mm FOV on APS-C (especially Canon APS-C), so I haven't used it much. I also haven't used the 28mm all that much because I have LOTS of 28mm f/2.8 lenses, I've never really done a comparison.

I've had a few different Yashinon 50/1.4's, and they were all nice. I can't remember which model my current one is, but I keep it because it looks someone left it at the beach for 3 weeks... but it still takes nice pics! I sold the others because they were worth more money (due to being in better condition). The 50/1.7's are also quite nice, and much cheaper. There's also 50/1.9 and 50/2.

Depending on your budget, you might see if you can get by with a 135mm f/2.8 (or f/2.5) instead of the 105mm. They're MUCH cheaper. Regardless of brand.
09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #21

Original Poster
Okay - so one last (hopefully) question: Is there any advantage to owning a "early" version 1 of either the 28mm or 35mm Super Tak? (e.g. - a lot of people like the early ver 1 *8-element* 50 1.4).
09-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KPbICA Quote
50/1.4 can be pricy and is extremely soft wide open
Not in my experience. Low contrast, yes. Soft, no. To the OP - IMHO, the best bang for the buck among the Taks are the 55/1.8 and the 135/3.5. They're all great, though.

Last edited by Ikarus; 09-11-2013 at 09:46 AM.
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I just responded to a thread here on where to buy Russian lenses. If you can manage to grab yourself a Jupiter or Helios lens then I think you will enjoy it even more than a Tak! Taks are sharp but the bokeh from a Helios is something else all together out of this world!

09-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I just responded to a thread here on where to buy Russian lenses. If you can manage to grab yourself a Jupiter or Helios lens then I think you will enjoy it even more than a Tak! Taks are sharp but the bokeh from a Helios is something else all together out of this world!
I do like my Jupiter-37A, but did not enjoy my Jupiter-9 much at all. It seems with that one chances are high for getting a bad copy. The Helios 44 is a gem, of course, especially for the money, but I still like my Tak 50/1.4 a tad better. The prices for the Helios 40 are crazy. I'd say get a Samyang/Vivitar/Rokinon 85/1.4 instead. For all other focal lengths, the Taks are hard to beat for price vs. performance.
09-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
My Canon was a Rebel T3.
Usually not a problem with Canon APS digital. The issues arise with FF film and digital cameras.

Steve
09-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
IMHO, the best bang for the buck among the Taks are the 55/1.8 and the 135/3.5.
Agreed, though I think the 28/3.5 (second version) and 35/3.5 are well worth looking at too.

Steve