Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
As a past CRIS employee, I can tell you that Pentax has always had issues supplying parts in a timely manner. Their point-and-shoot camera parts were especially terrible. I have not worked there for a couple of years, so I can not speak of current issues, but I doubt anything had changed before the takeover by Ricoh.

11-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kylv Quote
As a past CRIS employee, I can tell you that Pentax has always had issues supplying parts in a timely manner. Their point-and-shoot camera parts were especially terrible. I have not worked there for a couple of years, so I can not speak of current issues, but I doubt anything had changed before the takeover by Ricoh.
Thanks for your input, and welcome to the forum!

I must say that the few times I've sent anything to CRIS for repair, if they had the parts in stock or just an adjustment was needed, the turn around time was super fast - usually less than 4 days in house. Always very pleasant to deal with also. They must have had a very hard time dealing with disgruntled customers through the recent parts back log.
11-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
and welcome to the forum!
Thanks. I have actually been around for a while, just haven't had much reason to post yet. This forum is full of so much information that can be found by searching, that I haven't had a need to ask questions, and any questions that others have asked that I might have been able to answer have always been answered by someone with much more insight than myself before I even got there.
11-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I was just wondering why you chose United Camera vs. CRIS for your repair.

I think the parts flood gate has opened now - a friend of mine just got his 16-50 back after a 4 month wait.
United is listed as an authorized Pentax repair center; I used them in the past and have been satisfied. I will see how CRIS works out for folks in the future

I think you are right. I got a call from United saying they received my unit and it has been overnight shipped to me for tomorrow. I'm now wondering what the necessity of sending it to the manufacturer was. New SDM perhaps?

11-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
United is listed as an authorized Pentax repair center; I used them in the past and have been satisfied. I will see how CRIS works out for folks in the future

I think you are right. I got a call from United saying they received my unit and it has been overnight shipped to me for tomorrow. I'm now wondering what the necessity of sending it to the manufacturer was. New SDM perhaps?
I do know that when they are replacing the SDM with the new model, the circuit board (?) is also replaced - maybe a proprietary repair?
11-06-2013, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
16-50 is back home with SDM and connecting ring assembly replaced. I'm not sure what the latter is or if it is comprised of a circuit board. What a trek this was. United did give me a discount for the inconvenience!
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
16-50 is back home with SDM and connecting ring assembly replaced. I'm not sure what the latter is or if it is comprised of a circuit board. What a trek this was. United did give me a discount for the inconvenience!
Good to hear the ordeal is done and you have a (hopefully) fully functional lens once again.

I never meant to say anything against United - I've read nothing but good reviews here about them. I think it was mighty nice of them to discount your bill even though the delay was out of their control.
11-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, they are great to work with. This was certainly a frustrating situation, however. Now if I can just sell my Limited 21, 40, 70mm lenses and get that used DA* 50-135mm I'll be a water-resistant and happy camper.