Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Delayed Repair

I sent my DA* 16-50 to United Camera for a needed repair because of a drop. They e-mailed me a couple weeks ago to let me know that there was a proprietary adjustment that only Pentax could do. Pentax repair said it would be returned to United by 9/13. Yesterday I e-mailed United as a stab-in-the-dark to see if there was any chance it might come earlier because I have three assignments (small newspaper 13, 14, 15) that this workhorse lens would be good to have on my K-5. Can't blame a guy for trying.

Making my long story short for you possibly: Pentax notified United that they are in the process of moving and the lens won't be returned to United until the 27th.

I posted this as a FYI to anyone else that might need repairs.

09-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appears CRIS is moving, and delaying all repairs.
09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
No no, CRIS is staying right where they are. I live just down the street, and I assure you, they're still on 54th and Chandler.

The problem in that thread is one and the same as here. Pentax is moving stuff around, delaying services and parts deliveries.
09-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric also told me that Pentax was moving the he could not get Pentax part in the next few months. He said that last week:
"Right now I am not getting parts from Pentax. They are moving. Try again in a couple of months.
Sorry,
Eric"

09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think it would have helped but it would have been nice to have some "heads-up" on this; particularly odd that they said the 13th it would be shipped. I better be able to get that workhorse lens back sooner than a couple of months. They took my money soon enough!
10-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still waiting to hear back from United Camera and Binocular with some new news.
10-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So United Camera and Binocular just called to tell me my DA* 16-50 will not be returned to them until October 30th (they received it from me on August 13th). I suggest not sending any repairs to Pentax or anywhere that needs them to check something. I guess I need to buy a 18-55mm to get me through the jobs between now and then. Two and a half months, really??? jseeesh!
10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sent my k-5 into CRIS on July 28th. It has been on "Parts Hold" ever since. An email to CRIS got a very polite response that they were waiting on parts from Pentax and had no control over when the parts would arrive. Sounds like Ricoh is cleaning up the parts warehouse and re-organizing. Must have been a bigger project than they thought........

10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is kind of crazy - what if your lens was still under warranty and it was being held hostage like this?

And as far as their excuse of moving their warehouse - I was in the warehousing business many years back - we moved over 1 million dollars of inventory - included parts the size from ones so small you could barely see to items that were only moved by forklift - the move was made in 48 hours.
10-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I can't understand is why they told United that it would be back to them on 9/27 and then changed to 10/30. How couldn't they know that from the start? I'm not sure this is a part problem, but a "proprietary adjustment that United is not permitted to perform" for some reason. They said that there would be no additional charge; we'll see. I bought a used 18-55 WR to cover until my lens is returned. That should work OK for newspaper work I would think.
10-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE: My 16-50 was supposed to be back to United Camera and Binocular yesterday, October 30th. They called me today and said that the ETA is now November 8; they are very sorry but their hands are tied. I understand their position but I had to say that anytime a repair is needed in the future I would be very hesitant to send it to United because of this. She couldn't answer why, if they are an authorized repair center, they had to send the lens to the "manufacturer" for a proprietary repair. She wasn't sure if they are authorized. According to their background adverts while you wait on the phone they are authorized. And they are listed on the Ricoh website. arghhhhhh!

Does anyone have any experience with Camera Repair Japan in Duluth GA? They are as close and are "authorized" to repair Pentax.
10-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not knowing your location (I don't know what 44266 means....) why wouldn't you send lenses to CRIS for repair? They are the authorized repair center for Pentax in the US.

Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma
10-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that is where United had to send the lens for the "proprietary" work. It's my understanding this problem is "system wide" because of the inability for Ricoh to get parts to any of the repair centers.

(I don't know what 44266 means....)=NE Ohio
10-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I think that is where United had to send the lens for the "proprietary" work. It's my understanding this problem is "system wide" because of the inability for Ricoh to get parts to any of the repair centers.
AFAIK CRIS is the only repair center in the US for Pentax. I think the local dealers can handle simple things but everything else goes to CRIS anyway.

I've used CRIS only once, sent my k-5 in for a stuck mirror on July 28th, got it back on October 14th. I think it spent 2 days with an "in repair" status and the rest on "parts hold". CRIS updates the status on their webpage, and they did a nice job of keeping me informed that way. I'm completely happy with CRIS, but I am a little confused about Ricoh parts department. We are hearing way to many reports of parts being delayed or not available. Hopefully, once they get things organized that will get better.
10-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote

(I don't know what 44266 means....)=NE Ohio
OK - I get what the 44266 means now - should have put that together myself.....

I was just wondering why you chose United Camera vs. CRIS for your repair.

I think the parts flood gate has openned now - a friend of mine just got his 16-50 back after a 4 month wait.