Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grad ND filter advice

I don't own nor do I have a desire to carry around the whole Cokin filter setup, but I would love to get a Grad ND to play with. Does anyone know if there is a screw in grad ND filter available?

01-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes round screw-in grad filters are available. I carry one with me when I'm travelling light. I have a 2 stop B&W round grad, but other brands are available. The transition from dark to clear on mine is fairly gradual so I can still compose a landscape using the rule of thirds. They also come in different colors.

I also have Lee and Hitech square grads. The Cokin/Lee/Hitech systems give you more versatility but the tradeoff is that they are bulkier to carry and require more steps to set up properly. Plus the resin filters damage easily so you have to be careful about handling them. The glass ND grads don't scratch easily but are a lot more costly.