Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Transplanting DA lens mount to DA L?

I have 2 18-55mm DA lenses, a version 1 and an L, and was wondering if anyone has ever transplanted the lens mount from one to another?

The DA L is in a lot better shape than the version 1 and in my short testing performs much better optically, but I change lenses a lot and wouldn't mind having the metal mount, if it's a simple switch.

09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think itīs possible but why not buy a cheap F or FA 35-80 zoom lens and use that mount? Just sell the 18-55...
09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eh, I figured the mount would be closer between a DA L and DA version of the same lens. Also, I'm not gonna toss the V1 lens, I plan to stick the plastic mount on it and sell it with my K10D.

Last edited by nixcamic; 09-11-2013 at 12:18 PM.
09-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, F, FA or DA are the same mount KAF2. I donīt know if the buyer will be happy knowing youīve changed the mount for a plastic one...

09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
As far as I can tell, F, FA or DA are the same mount KAF2. I donīt know if the buyer will be happy knowing youīve changed the mount for a plastic one...
As long as it's disclosed in the sale, I don't see a problem with it.

At this point, the K10D is quite old, and if they're buying a camera like that, they're seriously budget constrained. They may figure they're saving $5 because the lens has been modified.

OTOH, more money could probably be had by buying a cheap (even broken) F zoom, swapping those mounts, and selling the K10D body and 18-55 lens separately.
09-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd disclose it obviously, and as it would be a local sale the buyer would be able to see for themselves first.

Due to the complexities of the mount I'm not entirely sure that any old F zoom mount will fit straight onto the lens and have everything line up right.

Also, since it will be a local sale and there isn't really that much Pentax here (Basically me and a friend of mine and some random other guy who keeps buying up all the good old lenses on cragislist, darn you random stranger) selling the kit lens with the camera is pretty necessary.
09-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Due to the complexities of the mount I'm not entirely sure that any old F zoom mount will fit straight onto the lens and have everything line up right.
There are no complexities. Same thing.. I studied changing the plastic mount on my DA L 55-300.. Didnīt do it yet but there are no differences in the mounts. Itīs easier to compare the DA kit lens with metal mount with the F/FA metal mounts to see they are the same...

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
As long as it's disclosed in the sale, I don't see a problem with it.
I meant that the buyer wonīt like the fact that the lens has been tempered with. I would skip such lens, especially modern ones.

Last edited by carrrlangas; 09-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.
09-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I tried putting a metal mount from a busted F 35-105 I had laying around onto a DA 35 2.4.

It did NOT fit. The metal mount had some extra plastic around the inner circle that prevented it from attaching to the DA 35 2.4 all the way. I think maybe metal mounts from DA lenses are the only ones that can fit properly onto DA L lenses. But then again I don't know if there are differences in the metal mounts from the same series (maybe an F series prime metal mount might work?).

That being said, the process was fairly easy. It took about 20 minutes, and it did not affect the performance of the DA 35 2.4 in any way. Just be sure to put tape on the contacts from the plastic mount before removing the screws, otherwise the pins will just spring away and be lost forever.

Also, I ended up selling the DA 35 2.4 later on, and I did disclose the fact that I had tried to swap the mount. For that, I knocked about $5 off the price I would have wanted. The buyer was okay with that.

09-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Transplant was successful, quite easy from the DA to the DA L however I wouldn't recommend trying to stick the DA L mount on a DA lens, I had to make a custom tiny metal piece to get the contacts to line up since they both ground on different pins internally.

In addition to the mount, you also need to change the internal aperture ring, the DA L ring fits fine in the DA mount, however the DA ring won't fit in the DA L mount. (once again only a problem if you try and stick the DA L mount on a DA lens.)

I took the quick shift clutch with also, it doesn't quite seem to work right though, it seems to get stuck or have a higher resistance then it should. I might take it out so I'm not tempted to use it, not sure whats happening there because they both seem to have identical gearing with the exception of the QS clutch.

Anyhow, I have a DA L lens with a metal mount and somewhat functioning Quick Shift.
09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As far as I know, reported problems with the plastic mount are very, very rare, even after regular use.

Changing the mount seems more trouble than it is worth. But good on you, I guess, for doing the experiment.
09-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would say not worth the effort in retrospect, but I had to try. Now I know