Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

PENTAX SMCP-DA 70 f/2.4 (PANCAKE) LENS

Hi, I'd like to hear comments on this lens for portraits.
PENTAX SMCP-DA 70 f/2.4 (PANCAKE) LENS

I really would love to have a lighter lens for long shoots!

Darla

09-12-2013, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Darla, have you done your homework?

SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited - Comparison: Introduction - PentaxForums.com

DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited Samples

or searched on it in the search window?

09-12-2013, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Amazon US and B&H also have many reviews, I think all of them positive. I don't think you'll find many negative reviews, though you will find a lot of people trying to convince you to buy an FA 77mm instead.
09-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all we say it is - and those links go to where we said it!

09-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw this thread and saw Darla only has two posts.

It's like before a final exam, a new student walks into class and asks a question about a subject that everyone in the classroom has talked about, debated and researched to the point of universal acceptance/knowledge and are about to take their final exam about.

Funny.
09-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, there are tons of info on the the lens here and (probably) 97-99% praise it.
09-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw this thread and saw Darla only has two posts.

It's like before a final exam, a new student walks into class and asks a question about a subject that everyone in the classroom has talked about, debated and researched to the point of universal acceptance/knowledge and are about to take their final exam about.

Funny.
"Thanks" - I will look into the links...
I thought I had searched it, and saw only a sold lens post.
Of course I have read lots of reviews...but thought it is good
to hear it from people who do love Pentax equipment.
I will be using the new lens on Sunday.
D
09-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Darla, Congratulations, you'll love the lens. I think it is one of the 'easiest' to use for portraits, it's very difficult to get a truly poor shot with one. A very even tempered lens.

09-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've had a DA 70 Limited (silver edition) for a year or so.

I love it.

Very sharp.

Great bokeh.

Fast AF.

Beautiful construction and workmanship.
09-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The DA 70 is the lens I reach for when shooting portraits.

09-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I enjoyed this lens thoroughly... Only thing i could fault was bokeh especially with trees in the background ... Was kinda busy...

Got an fa 77 which i cannot fault much besides slight pf wide open

09-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #12

It's the lens I bought for my portrait work as it's the equivalent of the 'classic' 105 from film days. Once I had it I wasn't as happy with it as I had thought I would be. Yes, it's small, the quickshift focus is a 'must have' for me, it sharp and fast and all the other things everyone has said it is... but for me it lacked 2 things: a certain 'character' that is hard to define, the way it renders things such as colour and focus to blur transitions, and then the 'right' focal length for me and how I like to work with people. It was just a little too long, it kept me just a little too far from my subjects, which was a surprise for me. The other aspect of this is that I shoot mostly vertical portraits and keep both eyes open so as to connect with my subjects, and while I could manage it, the difference in image size of the subject between the views through the lens and directly with the other eye was a distraction. I've kept the lens (for now) and still love it, but have moved over to the DA*55mm for most of my portraits. It's bigger and more difficult to work with, but for me, ultimately more satisfying.
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
It's the lens I bought for my portrait work as it's the equivalent of the 'classic' 105 from film days. Once I had it I wasn't as happy with it as I had thought I would be. Yes, it's small, the quickshift focus is a 'must have' for me, it sharp and fast and all the other things everyone has said it is... but for me it lacked 2 things: a certain 'character' that is hard to define, the way it renders things such as colour and focus to blur transitions, and then the 'right' focal length for me and how I like to work with people. It was just a little too long, it kept me just a little too far from my subjects, which was a surprise for me. The other aspect of this is that I shoot mostly vertical portraits and keep both eyes open so as to connect with my subjects, and while I could manage it, the difference in image size of the subject between the views through the lens and directly with the other eye was a distraction. I've kept the lens (for now) and still love it, but have moved over to the DA*55mm for most of my portraits. It's bigger and more difficult to work with, but for me, ultimately more satisfying.

I on the other hand think the 70 Limited has plenty of character. It's build quality, sharpness, small size......yes ever appearance remind me very much of my '30's Leitz Elmar F 3.5 50mm lens on my 'Leica Rangefinder.
The Pentax Limited lens are reminiscent...to me...of old Leica lenses.