Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

pentax 35-80mm and rear cap on old lenses

Hi,

First post here.

I have the 18-55 mm WR kit lens.
I want to buy an old Pentax F 35-80 mm that doesn't have the rear cap.
Will I be able to use my kit lens rear cap on this old lens? Does anybody have any idea?

Second question: I saw two 35-80 mm lenses for sale: one is an "F" lens and the other is a "A" lens (not FA, just A) as mentioned in the description, can't tell from the pictures.
now from what I see on this link

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series "A" lenses suppose to be manual lenses, but these two lenses look exactly the same.
Is this just a description error from the seller or indeed exists a only manual 35-80 lens that looks exactly as auto-focus version?
The seller is unable to give me any technical data about the lens.

Thank you,
Raul

09-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to check our lens database for the lenses you're interested in. Pentax did make a few A-series lenses that were variants of the autofocus counterparts, such as this 35-80mm A-series lens.

The rear cap from your kit lens will fit all other K-mount lenses.
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

Raultimis as you've read, the 'A' lenses are manual lenses and you can use all the shooting modes on your camera but you will not have any autofocus features.

Can you provide the link to the lenses you're interested in?
09-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you buy such a lens rear cap through eBay, be careful.

Most of these were designed for K and M series lenses and missing the flange which protects the electric contacts of newer lenses from dust/dirt.
They even fooled me with an offer for a lens rear cap/body mount cap set.
It turned out they had screwed the lens cap onto the body cap, so on the picture it looked exactly as if the lens rear cap was flanged.

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.
09-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just search 'pentax rear cap' on bh photo or adorama to see the genuine caps, they even Takumar rear caps! I replaced all my FA and Sigma rear caps with the Pentax type B rear cap, so I have the same cap on all lenses, which makes changing lenses a bit more convenient as they fit all equally well and don't pop off in the bag.
09-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raultimis Quote
Hi,

I want to buy an old Pentax F 35-80 mm that doesn't have the rear cap.
Raul - don't spend much on this lens. I had the F version - it was quite soft. Physically it was rattly and a bit fell off the front. Finally I threw it into the rubbish bin in a temper. On this forum's lens database the reviews are very mixed - some terrible, some not bad. I would side with the more pessimistic among those reviewers.

Tim
09-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

10 Rear Lens Cap Cover Pentax PK 55 300mm 18 55mm | eBay

These caps are exactly like my OEM cap for my 60-250.