Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need some help .. Bigma probs.

I ordered the 50-500 DG HSM - I own the K10D with FW Version 1.00..

If I update the FW to 1.3, will the HSM work?

Lastly, I visited the Sigma website Sigma - Lenses And see they now have a 150-500 w/ HSM and OS - Now of course I don't need the OS but how is this lens comparing to the 50-500? I need the Bigma for 300mm to 500 so, seeing that the 150-500 seems a bit cheaper, should I cancel and go with that? Thanks for the advice in advance. I really want to get this right as I'm not likely to have another chance to photograph where I'm going any time soon.

03-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are NO current Sigma lenses with HSM for Pentax, so if you pick up a Bigma now, it will only use the screwdrive shaft focusing.

No one knows how the 150-500mm will perform, or when it will be available, so if you need something now, go with the Bigma.
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
There are NO current Sigma lenses with HSM for Pentax, so if you pick up a Bigma now, it will only use the screwdrive shaft focusing.

No one knows how the 150-500mm will perform, or when it will be available, so if you need something now, go with the Bigma.
Leave it to me to breeze over the fine print and now realize with your help there is no HSM...

I was confused because I read the description for the 150-500 which says essentially that, as long as the body supports HSM, it will work.. So I understand fully, it is speculated at this time that the 150-500 HSM will work with Pentax cameras that have the capability?

Also, which readily available teleconverter should I buy that will work with HSM? I understand that I won't have HSM with the Bigma but I'd liek to only buy one teleconverter.

Thanks again.
03-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The newest soon-to-be-released Sigma lenses SHOULD have HSM for Pentax, but again, who knows when they will be available. I'm pretty sure the 150-500mm for Canon is coming out early April, followed by Nikon. So it might not be until the summer for Pentax.

At least Sigma announced they were supporting HSM for Pentax....

03-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh crikey - decisions, decisions.. I leave in May..
03-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Not Registered

I recently had a bigma and I was surprised on how fast it focus even without HSM (noise still there thought). I think that the IQ is quite outstanding considering the huge range. At 500mm you need a good tripod and head and no wind at all. I am struggling with the weight (I hike a lot) and with the fact that the lens protudes bigma time. If Sigma 100-300 f4 end up reapearing I will switch most likely.
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I recently had a bigma and I was surprised on how fast it focus even without HSM (noise still there thought). I think that the IQ is quite outstanding considering the huge range. At 500mm you need a good tripod and head and no wind at all. I am struggling with the weight (I hike a lot) and with the fact that the lens protudes bigma time. If Sigma 100-300 f4 end up reapearing I will switch most likely.
I'll be up in the mountains of northern Spain photographing some squirrely wildlife like ibex and eagles and other things that aren't interested in people so I think I'm going to need the length.. If someone knows of a better way to do it, I'm all ears. I budgeted around $1200 which was for the Bigma and a tele.. Which I need to know which tele to get so it does work with any future HSM/SDM lenses I buy.
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I'll be up in the mountains of northern Spain photographing some squirrely wildlife like ibex and eagles and other things that aren't interested in people so I think I'm going to need the length.. If someone knows of a better way to do it, I'm all ears. I budgeted around $1200 which was for the Bigma and a tele.. Which I need to know which tele to get so it does work with any future HSM/SDM lenses I buy.
Are you going to Pirineos? If you go there dont miss the small romanesque churchs. If you follow the Santiago pilgrims Road you will see some. I think that eagles are pretty frequent over there I am not that sure about other animals. Oh man, I envy so much... Coming back to the topic, I think that if you want to shoot wildlife the bigma might be the way to go.

03-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes! It will be somewhat of a diverse trip for me. I start in England and will end up back in England but will spend some time at my families villa in Orba. Then I'm heading south to Murcia for a few nights in a secluded mountain area hotel (Hotel Cenajo) and then I'll be traveling north to the Pyranees. As far as I know there should be some great photo ops in Murcia as well.

Next time out I think I will drive from England to Spain instead of flying. I'll waive hello to Ben as I drive through France