Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA lens and Pentax K T6 2x rear converter

I received the a T6-2x rear converter from an aspiring son-in-law. A very effective way to curry favour from me and it will make up for some part of the lobola that he has to pay me.

It has no lens contacts.

I read the excellent article by Adam to use manual lenses on Pentax DSLR's ( I have a k5 and k20d), but the problem is that I cannot control the aperture from the camera and the DA*300mm F4 has no aperture ring. So now I use it on TAV and green button, with but the only control I seem to have is the ISO and exposure compensation. It looks as if it always use wide open aperture and just adjust the speed, but I cannot change the speed directly. I am not worried about that but would like to have some aperture control. The IQ is much better than my old CPC 2x converter, but there I could control aperture.

Is there any other way or am I stuck with wide open apertures with this lens/converter combination? Or must I find out whether he has another 300 FA lens with aperture ring? Then he can have my daughter.

09-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
aspiring son-in-law
I laughed out loud
Then he can have my daughter
Hold out for the FF. Your daughter is worth waiting a long time for.

In answer to your question, the camera cannot communicate with the lens through the converter and there is no mechanical connection to the aperture. I'll answer a qualified, "No" but someone here might give you a work around.
09-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received the a T6-2x rear converter from an aspiring son-in-law. A very effective way to curry favour from me and it will make up for some part of the lobola that he has to pay me.

It has no lens contacts.

I read the excellent article by Adam to use manual lenses on Pentax DSLR's ( I have a k5 and k20d), but the problem is that I cannot control the aperture from the camera and the DA*300mm F4 has no aperture ring. So now I use it on TAV and green button, with but the only control I seem to have is the ISO and exposure compensation. It looks as if it always use wide open aperture and just adjust the speed, but I cannot change the speed directly. I am not worried about that but would like to have some aperture control. The IQ is much better than my old CPC 2x converter, but there I could control aperture.

Is there any other way or am I stuck with wide open apertures with this lens/converter combination? Or must I find out whether he has another 300 FA lens with aperture ring? Then he can have my daughter.
You need a lens with an aperture ring, or an A-series TC, unfortunately. Tamron makes some nice & cheap ones.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You need a lens with an aperture ring, or an A-series TC, unfortunately. Tamron makes some nice & cheap ones.
Thanks Adam. Will use it full open for a while and see whether I like it. Might consider the Tamron then.

Monochrome, this is serious. There is a wedding date already, but except for him using Canon lately, he seems a very nice prospect for my daughter

Cheers