Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Great thread and thanks yusuf for interesting comparisons. It shows how important Bokeh is to the image appreciation. I have a Sigma 30/1.4 on my new K-3. They are a really nice pair!

01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Wow. I picked the Sigma 30/1.4 as well for best picture
01-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
Great thread and thanks yusuf for interesting comparisons. It shows how important Bokeh is to the image appreciation. I have a Sigma 30/1.4 on my new K-3. They are a really nice pair!
Glad you liked it. Sigma 30/1.4 is truly an awesome lens. I just let it go sadly as I moved to sony nex as my primary system but I did enjoy the lens till I had.
01-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Glad you liked it. Sigma 30/1.4 is truly an awesome lens. I just let it go sadly as I moved to sony nex as my primary system but I did enjoy the lens till I had.
I never understood the greatness of the micro 4/3 - tiny camera bodys, but with lenses that still are so bulky that they will not fit in a pocket. That has kept me on Pentax DSLR + additional compact cam (Fuji x20) when I really need light packaging and mobility. Maybe just old fashioned. Would be interesting to hear your motive for going to Sony Nex.

01-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
I never understood the greatness of the micro 4/3 - tiny camera bodys, but with lenses that still are so bulky that they will not fit in a pocket. That has kept me on Pentax DSLR + additional compact cam (Fuji x20) when I really need light packaging and mobility. Maybe just old fashioned. Would be interesting to hear your motive for going to Sony Nex.
I agree that it's not a very pocketable system but still a very handy and light system compared to DSLR with the same lens. Although I owned and loved Pentax DSLRs from years (K100D, Kx, k-5, k-01), the manual focusing with nex is breeze and so much better. That's how I started using nex as my primary system and then slowly sold all my DSLR except K-01. And now this metabone adapters which gives me a full frame experience on aps-c, seriously amazing (pls check my gallery, many pics with nex+metabone+M50/1.4).

Earlier I thought, I won't be comfortable without the viewfinder. However, now I am extremely comfortable shooting using swivel LCD (especially street shots), even on NEX-6 which has evf. Still kept K-01 as I have many Pentax AF lenses, I just wish it had a swivel lcd.

Last edited by yusuf; 01-05-2014 at 03:34 AM.
01-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma30, and have had a bad case of LBA for the 31. After seeing this, now not so much! Even if one thinks the 31 is better, this shows they at least are batting in the same league! I love my Sigma!
01-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I have the Sigma30, and have had a bad case of LBA for the 31. After seeing this, now not so much! Even if one thinks the 31 is better, this shows they at least are batting in the same league! I love my Sigma!
Agree, I had both and mostly used Sigma 30. Two things in favor of FA31 though, size and the full frame, so I look forward to using FA31 on Sony A7.

01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice test, I also picked #2 and #3 for the best lenses..........nice to see Sigma 30/1.4 to get some appreciation ...... I would like to see same test with Sigma 35/1.4 vs Pentax 31/1.8.
01-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Very nice test, I also picked #2 and #3 for the best lenses..........nice to see Sigma 30/1.4 to get some appreciation ...... I would like to see same test with Sigma 35/1.4 vs Pentax 31/1.8.
I have the Sigma, I just need the Pentax to do a comparison. If I do have them, I will give them a try.
01-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
If I remember correctly, I think @Adam posted a comparison between Sigma 35 and FA31, I am not able to find the link though.
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I remember correctly, I think @Adam posted a comparison between Sigma 35 and FA31, I am not able to find the link though.
I think there are some sharpness comparisons in the in-depth review if I'm not mistaken.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I went with #3 where there was a difference, in most shots 2 and 3 were pretty close, you didn't save me $600. At both ƒ8 and ƒ4 I liked #3. At lower ƒ-stops #2 and #3 were pretty much a saw off to my mind except #3 has better edge sharpness. The 31 is razor sharp in in the middle @ ƒ5.6 and a little soft at the edges, with excellent sharpness centre and edges at ƒ8, where as the 30 1.4 is rated as a centre sharp edge soft lens... if you look for that in the pictures, you can see it. The way these pictures are shot centre sharp the lenses look pretty even, but I've always thought of the 31 as a landscape lens, you don't have a landscape image, with a lot of bokeh on the borders the 30 looks pretty good. But in the 2.8 images the branch at the bottom left, you can see how much more detail there is in the #3 in the bottom left corner. IN fact that little curly branch and flower are stunningly sharp on #3, and pretty much average on #2. For me and what I shoot, the 31 is worth the extra money.

Thanks for doing this, absolutely awesome comparison.

Based on these images, I'm still looking at the 31 as the lens to get, if I'm ever rich and famous. The 30 is nice, but I wouldn't buy it. There's a pretty good chance I can get better out of my 18-135 for a lot of my landscape images shot between ƒ 5.6 and ƒ11. None of the other lenses performed well, IMHO.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2014 at 08:47 PM.
02-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I agree that it's not a very pocketable system but still a very handy and light system compared to DSLR with the same lens. Although I owned and loved Pentax DSLRs from years (K100D, Kx, k-5, k-01), the manual focusing with nex is breeze and so much better. That's how I started using nex as my primary system and then slowly sold all my DSLR except K-01. And now this metabone adapters which gives me a full frame experience on aps-c, seriously amazing (pls check my gallery, many pics with nex+metabone+M50/1.4).

Earlier I thought, I won't be comfortable without the viewfinder. However, now I am extremely comfortable shooting using swivel LCD (especially street shots), even on NEX-6 which has evf. Still kept K-01 as I have many Pentax AF lenses, I just wish it had a swivel lcd.
Rather frustratingly people continue to insist that these are bad ideas for Pentax when in fact they are quite useful.
02-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

#3 is the best.
Totally different smoothness in the OOF areas compared to all the others.
I presume that all the lenses are different FL? (with #2 and #3 being longer??)

#3 also looks brighter (where they the same exposure settings? if they are, then maybe a T-stop difference)

#3 also has better drop-off between sharp and unsharp areas (to me at least)

The last 2 lenses seem 'typical' of wides (I would presume they are some sort of 24-28mm)

#2 is pretty good too, but #3 betters it in the smoothness of the bokeh and #2 can get a bit 'meh' (even busy at some spots)
02-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #30
Inactive Account

This was very informative and useful. Thank you, @Yusuf.