Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Then 99% of the time, you have to use the EV button to change your Exposure Value, there's no other way to do it.
I'm with normhead on this one. I use EV constantly. In fact I've got it programmed to the front wheel in AV mode. I find it especially useful when doing back lit shots where proper exposure is difficult to get w/o blowing highlights.
NaCl(it's my best friend under those conditions)H2O

09-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

Original Poster
Yeah but as far as I can see, there's no difference between using exposure compensation and just changing the shutter speed to get the correct exposure because adjusting the exposure compensation does exactly the same thing in AV mode.
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richardstringer Quote
Yeah but as far as I can see, there's no difference between using exposure compensation and just changing the shutter speed to get the correct exposure because adjusting the exposure compensation does exactly the same thing in AV mode.
You need to try this out. Set your exposure in AV, take an exposure, set the EV button to -1, take an exposure, see if the two exposures are the same. Do the same thing by changing changing yoru exposure with the Aperture dial. See what happens, look at the four pictures. Only one will be darker than the others.

You cannot adjust the shutter speed in AV mode. You can adjust the Aperture. The camera adjusts the shutter speed to maintain the EV value it thinks is the correct one. If the selected EV value is incorrect, (because it' backlit, because the sun or some other light is shining into the camera, because the angle of the lens to the camera is fooling the meter), because the camera assumes you want the median value when in fact you want the average value as the centre weight point, for any number of reasons, you may have to adjust the EV.

EV (exposure value)= aperture x shutter.
Changing the aperture dial in AV changes the shutter in sync. +1 stop aperture will = -1 stop shutter speed. That will produce exactly the same EV.

Anyway, enough of me going on about it. If you don't want to experiment with the EV button, then don't, it's no sweat off my back.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2013 at 10:47 AM.
09-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anyway, enough of me going on about it. If you don't want to experiment with the EV button, then don't, it's no sweat off my back.
Wo hold on mate, I never said i'm not gonnna experiement did I? I will, i'll take four photos and see the difference between using the EV and not using it.