Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me get this straight:
  • You have a A 28/2.8 which you like just fine except for lack of AF
  • You are considering replacing it with either FA 28 or F 28, whichever is better in order to get AF
  • Both the FA 28 and F 28 are in the same price range used as a used DA 21
  • Since the price is about the same, the DA 21 is also a purchase option
It is the last point that has me scratching my head. If you are merely wanting to spend about $300, this makes perfect sense. Otherwise not so much. Unless you want to add a moderate wide angle prime for your kit with purchase of the DA 21 (the 28s are mildly wide-normal focal length for APS-C), I would limit the search to the F 28 or FA 28 and buy on the basis of price.

Steve

BTW...are you really sure that AF is worth the $$

09-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have a A 28/2.8 which you like just fine except for lack of AF
It's not as sharp or contrasty as I'd like. For $77 though I can't fault it for that. You get what you pay for.

It is the last point that has me scratching my head. If you are merely wanting to spend about $300, this makes perfect sense. Otherwise not so much.
I don't understand what you're trying to say? Could you be more specific?
09-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
So mid to upper $300s might be more accurate than $400, but this may be splitting hairs
I may need adjust my average selling figure for the DA 21 lens from mid $300's to UNDER $300. The last DA 21mm lens to sell on Ebay has now gone for $285. It's now a sub $300 lens. The people have spoken

We'll wait and see though. There are 2 more DA 21's that are under $250 right now but could increase to over the $300 mark. Stay tuned.......
09-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I don't understand what you're trying to say? Could you be more specific?
The DA 21 is a wide angle on APS-C while the A 28 is a normal for the same format. The DA 21 will not do the same job as the 28 (not able to provide the same perspective without significant image crop). Bringing the DA 21 into the conversation doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are mainly just wanting to buy a compact, high-quality, AF lens (regardless of focal length) in the $300 range. That is not bad.

As for the performance of the A vs. F vs FA versions of the 28/2.8, I would not expect that the AF upgrade will provide significantly better optical performance.

Steve

09-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have both of them as well and have for a few years and like them both. If I was forced to get rid of one of the 2, I would have to think about it real hard as to which one to keep. However, I do use the F28 with my MZ-3 film body. And the DA 21 on the K-01 body.
My previous post is related to Steve's last post.
09-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As for the performance of the A vs. F vs FA versions of the 28/2.8, I would not expect that the AF upgrade will provide significantly better optical performance
Hmmm.... If that's true then I would purchase the DA 21 for the IQ over the F or FA 28mm focal length. I can always hang onto the A 28mm that I've got and utilize both lenses. I need a quasi landscape/large family group lens anyway.
So I'm looking at carrying both the FA 43 and DA 21 in my bag for general shooting. The DA*50-135 for kids sports events and or portraiture. The A 28 2.8 would be used for fun because of the manual focus. And then the lowly kit lens 18-55 version II would be sold on ebay.

Or....I could get rid of every lens I own and just purchase the FA 31 and be done with it ONE LENS.....ONE CAMERA.....ohh the simplicity of it all.

Last edited by Driline; 09-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
09-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

The people have spoken
No they haven't. The market, on a given day, has shown balance between supply and demand.

If you're set on that lens I would buy it quickly if you can find it at that price and trust the seller. I wouldn't hold my breath for it selling at low prices for a long period of time.

09-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you're set on that lens I would buy it quickly if you can find it at that price and trust the seller. I wouldn't hold my breath for it selling at low prices for a long period of time.
I agree. If they intend to stick to the higher prices for the new HD Limiteds I would think prices for the old ones would go up rather than down.

I'm not willing to cover your loss should they go further down, though
09-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I agree. If they intend to stick to the higher prices for the new HD Limiteds I would think prices for the old ones would go up rather than down.

I'm not willing to cover your loss should they go further down, though
Well the HD are only 50 bucks higher than the old list price right? That's not much of a boost. With the glut of DA21's for sale on eBay and not selling very quickly I'll bet the price goes down. It will be interesting to see in 1 day how much they get for 2 of the lenses now stuck at $237.50 a piece. I did notice a third lens jumped to $306 dollars with a day left too, so time will tell.
09-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the HD are only 50 bucks higher than the old list price right? That's not much of a boost. With the glut of DA21's for sale on eBay and not selling very quickly I'll bet the price goes down. It will be interesting to see in 1 day how much they get for 2 of the lenses now stuck at $237.50 a piece. I did notice a third lens jumped to $306 dollars with a day left too, so time will tell.
Ok, could be that the difference is less in USAnia, but the examples I've seen from elsewhere have been quite a lot more. As usual, I suppose...

Good luck anyway!
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
The M 28/2.8 (ver. 2), A 28/2.8 and F 28/2.8 all share the same optical formula - 7 elements in 7 groups

The FA 28/2.8 and FA 28/2.8 Soft appear to share an identical formula, 5 elements in 5 groups, which makes me think Pentax simplified the FA 28 optical formula to be able to streamline costs and share optics with the new FA 28 soft lens. Maybe the optical quality of the FA was compromised a little because of this.
Simplified construction does not necessarily mean compromised IQ. The FA is the only 28mm with an aspheric element (AL), to reduce chromatic aberration. My experience with the F and FA 28 showed a significant difference in CA/PF in favour or the newer lens.
09-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Simplified construction does not necessarily mean compromised IQ. The FA is the only 28mm with an aspheric element (AL), to reduce chromatic aberration. My experience with the F and FA 28 showed a significant difference in CA/PF in favour or the newer lens.
Do you have any experience in comparing the A 28 with the FA 28?
09-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have any experience in comparing the A 28 with the FA 28?
No, just the F 28 and FA 28, but the F and A are supposedly identical except for AF. My comments are posted above.
09-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No, just the F 28 and FA 28, but the F and A are supposedly identical except for AF. My comments are posted above.
I see sharpness is about the same then between the F and FA. Looks like I keep my A 28 2.8 I'm amazed at just how really sharp this lens is. With a little added contrast and some highlights removed in iPhoto it really looks great. So nice in fact I have a hard time telling the difference in some landscape shots between it and my FA 43!

09-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I used to have the FA28/2.8; I now have the K and M versions of the 28/3.5, and the DA21. The FA was slightly soft at f/2.8 but otherwise excellent, as are all the other three. The issue is not image quality but focal length - in my experience 28 is more useful generally than 21 with APSC, unless you want the wide-angle look as a default. (I think it starts to look gimmicky used to excess.) I

I would base the decision on focal length rather than differences between IQ which, with these lenses, are so small as to be meaningless, IMHO. The DA21 is very useful when that is the FL you want, in specific circumstances.

Incidentally the manual 28s are very easy to focus and I use catch-in-focus virtually all the time.