Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Disassembling SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.9

Hi, everyone. I am a new member to the site, although I have visited it many times. Many thanks to those of you who have made this an excellent resource. I recently acquired an SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.9 in M42 mount. It was described as having a heavily scratched front element, which was perhaps an understatement. It appears that a prior owner did or tried to disassemble it, and that somewhere along the line the INSIDE of the front element looks to have sustained a lot of scratches, perhaps ill-fated cleaning attempts.

Does anyone have tips on the process to disassemble this particular lens, at least to the point of being able to remove the front element and seeing if polishing the back of it would do any good? I don't have any special equipment at this point. I may pick up some JIS drivers, and it seems that a lot of these lenses first come apart by use of a rubber tool to undo the front name plate.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your assistance and congrats on a very informative site. (BTW, I have been using a lot of Takumar lenses on my Canon 6D and love it. Those old beauties are classics.)

Take care.

Last edited by Wide_Aperture; 09-18-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typos
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Super-Takumar 85/1.9, and it does come apart by removing the name ring in front first:

Probably the S-M-C version is the same. Screws could be slotted like these or JIS, but you may not need to remove them. There are spanner slots on either side of the front group that should remove all the elements from the aperture blades forward.
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your response. Any suggestions on the best technique to get the name plate off? Thanks again!!!
09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you don't have the rubber cone shaped tools for that try finding something in your house that is the right size: small cup, lid for aerosol can, etc. and cover the ridge with electrical tape. As a final resort, drill two very small, and shallow holes into the name ring across from each other and use a caliper tool.

09-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
If you don't have the rubber cone shaped tools for that try finding something in your house that is the right size: small cup, lid for aerosol can, etc. and cover the ridge with electrical tape. As a final resort, drill two very small, and shallow holes into the name ring across from each other and use a caliper tool.
Thanks!!!
09-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wide_Aperture Quote
Thank you very much for your response. Any suggestions on the best technique to get the name plate off? Thanks again!!!
For the really tough ones, I use a small glass jar of the appropriate opening that fits over the name ring. I then put double sided adhesive tape along the edge of the jar (cover the lens with a bit of tissue). Push hard, and turn.
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Progress report: thanks for all the tips. I have been able to get the nameplate ring to turn up about 1/8 inch, but it does not want to come any farther. Seems it may be hanging up on the edge of the lens body, which a prior owner seems to have smashed in a bit. I'd think it should still clear, but have not been able to get a solid enough grip yet to get it to release.

Thanks again to everyone from the guidance.

WA