Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #1

Olympus OM 50 1.8 to pentax K

I was wondering if anybody did a mount swap on an OM 50 1.8 with a mount from a K lens.

I have an old Mitakon 28 2.8 that's pretty well dead(misaligned focus and matted elements inside) but the mount is in good condition. So I was wondering if I could pop that off, get an Olympus OM 50 1.8 and put it on there. Of course this involves drilling new holes in the K mount flange and perhaps a thin spacer in between the lens and the mount but could this work?

I know from an old thread here that some of you have ground the OM mount a bit to make it fit and that there is a replacement mount sold by Leitax. I've seen the type of mod I am talking about made with a M42/pK adapter over here: Lens mount conversion: Olympus OM -> P/K (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

I was wondering though is it possible to use the mount from another lens since I have it sitting around and I can get a dirty cheap Oly lens at the moment.

Thanks in advance

09-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure its possible. Leitax.com has a replacement mount that is engineered for the purpose. One reason why your approach might not be totally successful is the slight difference in the registration distance between the Olympus OM (46mm) and Pentax K mount (45.56mm). Its small but enough to make a difference. Just by taking a mount from an old Pentax based lens and putting it on the Olympus, you will encounter some problems.
  • Screw hole patterns - they probably will not match.
  • Registration distance - Leitax.com has a purpose designed mount, that appears to be substantially thicker than normal to adjust for the difference in registration distance. The Olympus lens is designed to be 46mm from the sensor. The Pentax body only has a 45.46mm distance, so the replacement mount essentially takes up the difference, so that you will be able to properly focus all the way to infinity.
Here is a site with all the registration distances...
09-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
The Leitax transition mount is not compatible with Om 50 1.8 that is the reason I am looking for an alternative solution.

0.54 of a mm is not that much and a single spacer made from some kind of plastic could fix the difference. I was wondering if anybody had tried this before and could give me any actual advice.
09-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out this thread....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135398-how-do-...s-k-mount.html

09-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
You had to remind me how much I miss RioRico
09-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You had to remind me how much I miss RioRico
What happened to him BTW ? He was very kind and cool (and a human database about photo).
09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting links, I've got some nice OM glass........and some nice OM cameras. An adapter would be wonderful.

Yes, i've been wondering where Rio Rico has got to. I haven't seen any sign of him on any forums for a long time.
09-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks I did look at the other thread and I guess tapering the edges of the mount is an option. I'd try and fit a K mount however before I try any chopping. The lens should arrive tomorrow and I'd be posting some pics of the process if it works

09-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mcnicko Quote
I was wondering if anybody did a mount swap on an OM 50 1.8 with a mount from a K lens.

I have an old Mitakon 28 2.8 that's pretty well dead(misaligned focus and matted elements inside) but the mount is in good condition. So I was wondering if I could pop that off, get an Olympus OM 50 1.8 and put it on there. Of course this involves drilling new holes in the K mount flange and perhaps a thin spacer in between the lens and the mount but could this work?

I know from an old thread here that some of you have ground the OM mount a bit to make it fit and that there is a replacement mount sold by Leitax. I've seen the type of mod I am talking about made with a M42/pK adapter over here: Lens mount conversion: Olympus OM -> P/K (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

I was wondering though is it possible to use the mount from another lens since I have it sitting around and I can get a dirty cheap Oly lens at the moment.

Thanks in advance
I have an old OM system and a couple of lenses in the closet & had never contemplated using them with Pentax bodies. After reading this thread & the links to RioRico's threads I have a new enthusiasm to try this. The first Olympus lens that I found was a 50/1.4 and I'm not ready to grind anything on it at this point but I did handhold it into my old K20D (it fitted right into the body mount cleanly, didn't attempt to rotate it) and took a few samples successfully. I'll follow this thread and plan to modify one of my lenses when I have the time, tools ready and confidence that I won't botch it up.
Ted
09-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just sent back the OM lens due to sticky aperture blades. The seller told me it had only a couple of tiny scratches on the front element but somehow forgot to mention the aperture problem. Oh well, I'll start looking for another one.
09-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Yes, i've been wondering where Rio Rico has got to. I haven't seen any sign of him on any forums for a long time.
I miss him too. Had been questioned myself for long time.