Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Junior Member
mcnicko's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dobrich
Posts: 27
Olympus OM 50 1.8 to pentax K

I was wondering if anybody did a mount swap on an OM 50 1.8 with a mount from a K lens.

I have an old Mitakon 28 2.8 that's pretty well dead(misaligned focus and matted elements inside) but the mount is in good condition. So I was wondering if I could pop that off, get an Olympus OM 50 1.8 and put it on there. Of course this involves drilling new holes in the K mount flange and perhaps a thin spacer in between the lens and the mount but could this work?

I know from an old thread here that some of you have ground the OM mount a bit to make it fit and that there is a replacement mount sold by Leitax. I've seen the type of mod I am talking about made with a M42/pK adapter over here: Lens mount conversion: Olympus OM -> P/K (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

I was wondering though is it possible to use the mount from another lens since I have it sitting around and I can get a dirty cheap Oly lens at the moment.

Thanks in advance

09-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
Sure its possible. Leitax.com has a replacement mount that is engineered for the purpose. One reason why your approach might not be totally successful is the slight difference in the registration distance between the Olympus OM (46mm) and Pentax K mount (45.56mm). Its small but enough to make a difference. Just by taking a mount from an old Pentax based lens and putting it on the Olympus, you will encounter some problems.
  • Screw hole patterns - they probably will not match.
  • Registration distance - Leitax.com has a purpose designed mount, that appears to be substantially thicker than normal to adjust for the difference in registration distance. The Olympus lens is designed to be 46mm from the sensor. The Pentax body only has a 45.46mm distance, so the replacement mount essentially takes up the difference, so that you will be able to properly focus all the way to infinity.
Here is a site with all the registration distances...
09-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
mcnicko's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dobrich
Posts: 27
Original Poster
The Leitax transition mount is not compatible with Om 50 1.8 that is the reason I am looking for an alternative solution.

0.54 of a mm is not that much and a single spacer made from some kind of plastic could fix the difference. I was wondering if anybody had tried this before and could give me any actual advice.
09-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
forensicscientist's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DFW Texas and Maine - I commute :)
Posts: 889
Check out this thread....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135398-how-do-...s-k-mount.html

09-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,874
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
You had to remind me how much I miss RioRico
09-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,968
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You had to remind me how much I miss RioRico
What happened to him BTW ? He was very kind and cool (and a human database about photo).
09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Lloydy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 1,114
Interesting links, I've got some nice OM glass........and some nice OM cameras. An adapter would be wonderful.

Yes, i've been wondering where Rio Rico has got to. I haven't seen any sign of him on any forums for a long time.
09-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Junior Member
mcnicko's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dobrich
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Thanks I did look at the other thread and I guess tapering the edges of the mount is an option. I'd try and fit a K mount however before I try any chopping. The lens should arrive tomorrow and I'd be posting some pics of the process if it works

09-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 36
QuoteOriginally posted by mcnicko Quote
I was wondering if anybody did a mount swap on an OM 50 1.8 with a mount from a K lens.

I have an old Mitakon 28 2.8 that's pretty well dead(misaligned focus and matted elements inside) but the mount is in good condition. So I was wondering if I could pop that off, get an Olympus OM 50 1.8 and put it on there. Of course this involves drilling new holes in the K mount flange and perhaps a thin spacer in between the lens and the mount but could this work?

I know from an old thread here that some of you have ground the OM mount a bit to make it fit and that there is a replacement mount sold by Leitax. I've seen the type of mod I am talking about made with a M42/pK adapter over here: Lens mount conversion: Olympus OM -> P/K (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

I was wondering though is it possible to use the mount from another lens since I have it sitting around and I can get a dirty cheap Oly lens at the moment.

Thanks in advance
I have an old OM system and a couple of lenses in the closet & had never contemplated using them with Pentax bodies. After reading this thread & the links to RioRico's threads I have a new enthusiasm to try this. The first Olympus lens that I found was a 50/1.4 and I'm not ready to grind anything on it at this point but I did handhold it into my old K20D (it fitted right into the body mount cleanly, didn't attempt to rotate it) and took a few samples successfully. I'll follow this thread and plan to modify one of my lenses when I have the time, tools ready and confidence that I won't botch it up.
Ted
09-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Junior Member
mcnicko's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dobrich
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Just sent back the OM lens due to sticky aperture blades. The seller told me it had only a couple of tiny scratches on the front element but somehow forgot to mention the aperture problem. Oh well, I'll start looking for another one.
09-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Yes, i've been wondering where Rio Rico has got to. I haven't seen any sign of him on any forums for a long time.
I miss him too. Had been questioned myself for long time.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
focus, k-mount, lens, mount, olympus, om, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-01 vs Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Olympus OM-D Winder Pentax K-01 749 06-14-2014 03:42 PM
Olympus OM 20 lenses to Pentax Kr jbarry Pentax K-r 7 03-10-2012 01:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top