Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA* 16-50, does this look like decentering to you?

A few full resolution shots, shot @f5.6 or f8, download the original file, zoom in to 100% and have a look at about 10%-20% of the left hand side of the frame, then have a look at the extreme right hand side

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvf19rvbadk6qw4/IMGP3382.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnoinpda6my0ao4/IMGP3402.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7atwup83p7sppcu/IMGP3544.JPG

I am rather happy with the sharpness in the centre of the image, even wide open, but the blurriness on the left hand side is really starting to bug me, even stop down doesn't cure the problem.

09-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Banned

The best way to tell is if the subjects in the left and right fields are the same distance away, not diagonal like all examples provided.

That said, and with the available DoF at those aperture ranges, along with seeing several examples (including ones I shot when testing out this lens myself), it looks very familiar as the decentering problem. Those textures are very much appearing like the examples I've seen and shot.

Do yourself this favor and take better pics of flat walls and other scenes where there isn't a radical distance difference between objects on the left and right. That will tell you, us, and most importantly, Pentax, that you have a problem. Sometimes they aren't so apt to find problems, as opposed to just sending a lens back and claiming it checks out.
09-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to tell. The part on the left on the Terraces photo looks OOF but .... it's not taken straight on so it could be just out of the depth of focus.

I'd suggest another test. Take a shot of a similar scene maybe like the terraces but more straight on with detail at the edges and corners to examine. Then..... turn the camera upside down and take exactly the same scene.
(Use MF preferably so any inconsistency in AF is eliminated)

Then you'll have a direct comparison of the opposing areas the lens with an "identical" shot.