Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 50-135 on the way - my last lens!

Notwithstanding the debacle with the DA* 16-50, I have taken a punt on the DA* 50-135.

A lot of soul searching went into this last lens purchase of mine, basically because I have decided that thats it, no more.

For a long time I was in favour of waiting for Tamron or Sigma 80-200, but in the end I decided that a DA* in the hand was worth several Sigmas and Tamrons in the offing.

The Aussie dollar is strong against the greenback, and the lens is now at an affordable price.

The sheer size and weight of the Sigma was offputting as well, plus the fact that it won't AF on my K100D backup body. No weather sealing as well.

Tamron lacks both WS and HSM, plus someone said it was built cheap.

Reach, or, the lack of it, was the main reason holding me back. I have realised that even 200 is not going to be enough. I have the F*300 for reach. The Voigtländer SL180 will bridge the gap.

Main reason for buying DA* 50-135 was for my daughter's concerts, I thought both Tamron and Sigma would be intimidating in a concert situation, with their huge size and tripod collars.

The lens has a long way to travel from NY to Sydney. A lot can go wrong. But the last two times I have bought from BH have been hasslefree, so I hope my luck still holds one last time.

I hope I made the right decision, it would be nice to end my LBA with a bang.

03-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Notwithstanding the debacle with the DA* 16-50, I have taken a punt on the DA* 50-135.

Reach, or, the lack of it, was the main reason holding me back. I have realised that even 200 is not going to be enough. I have the F*300 for reach. The Voigtländer SL180 will bridge the gap.

I hope I made the right decision, it would be nice to end my LBA with a bang.

I absolutely think you did. The 50-135 has moved to the top, and it's now my favorite lens - The 77ltd is probably more 'special' to me, for all the reasons everyone knows, but the incredible convenience of having near-perfect f/2.8 optics between 50 & 135mm just... wins.

Congrats. The second you press the shutter half-way and hear it focus, you'll be smitten.

I suggest that you go straight to Av mode the first time you put it on your camera and shoot just at 2.8 for a couple hundred shots, download, and revel in the wide-open sharpness.

It's big. It would have been nice if it could have started at 35mm instead of 50 and maintained IQ. Those are the only drawbacks I can think of.

Go sit outside with some lemonade or a beer and wait for the delivery truck

03-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
A lot of soul searching went into this last lens purchase of mine, basically because I have decided that thats it, no more.
Can we quote you on that in six months?

in all seriousness, great choice. Indeed, what good is a lens that you don't have when you need it, regardless of how good of a lens it is? I don't think you'll be disapointed with the 50-135. Pentax has had some problems with the 16-50, but the 50-135 seems to be a winner. I wish I had that lens right now.
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

It's big.

Yes, its big, but without that huge hood, its not too bad i think. I'll be mostly shooting indoors, so probably can dispense with the hood in concert situations.

03-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I already had a Pentax 12-24mm and Tamron 28-75mm and also told myself that the Pentax 50-135mm is the last lens I'll be buying. 3 months later I told myself that I also need a Pentax DA* 300mm for reach.
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #6

I'm also scrounging up to get a DA* 50-135mm! Then I'll only have that and the FA 50mm. Unfortunately that won't be it for me, because I'll need a wide angle too!
03-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
Igilligan

Hey Paul
I have the 28-75mm and I now really want the 50-135... And I can understand the need for reach in that 300.
You have a great batch of glass.

And to Selar, I think you made the right decision. Cant wait to see some of your daughter's concert shots.

03-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Quote
I already had a Pentax 12-24mm and Tamron 28-75mm and also told myself that the Pentax 50-135mm is the last lens I'll be buying. 3 months later I told myself that I also need a Pentax DA* 300mm for reach.
300mm won't be enough either, soon you'll "need" a 400/500mm. Then you will "need" a 200mm, after that a fast ultrawide. After that you will want all fullframe lenses. I know, I've already travelled that path.

After all this, I think I would have saved money, if I had just bought *'s and limiteds in the first instance. But all that buying and selling has been fun too.
03-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #9

plus...

Plus, to augment that 50-135mm, you'll soon need the SMD teleconverter, so you won't have to buy a whole new lens for long shots... but then you may get one of those after a while too... because with the teleconverter you'd have...

You get the picture
03-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Probably one of the best lenses in the Pentax line up.

Enjoy!

Ben
03-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Probably one of the best lenses in the Pentax line up.

Enjoy!

Ben
Wow! I think I'm going to remember that comment every time I shoot with it! Thanks.
03-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Congrats. The second you press the shutter half-way and hear it focus, you'll be smitten.
Don't you mean "The second you press the shutter half-way and DON'T hear it focus, you'll be smitten." ?
03-31-2008, 03:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA* 50-135 arrived today

My new DA* 50-135 has arrived tiday delivered on time by UPS Worldwide saver.

Lens was ordered on Wednesday and made it to Sydney via Honolulu Friday afternoon, and cleared Customs by Friday evening. I was charged neither Customs duty or GST as the total value of the shipment was under A$1000. The lens then sat in the warehouse the weekend while I learnt the meaning of the word patuence.

Lens was delivered around midday, well packed around with air bags. Just as well, as the lens carton was slightly crumpled in the front. Mounted lens on GX10 and pressed shutter half way. No focus sound. No focus either. Took lens off and cleaned contacts, re-mounted lens, and tried again. No sound again. No focus either. By now I was breaking a light sweat, thinking, dark thoughts of the crap I would have to go now to get the lens fixed/replaced by CRK. What was Murphy's law again?

Then it came to me - I had disabled AF on half shutter press. What a moron! Pressed AF button on the back of camera, and the lens slid smoothly into focus. Whew!

This lens is much bigger and heavier than the DA*16-50! The hood is huge! I think it was a borderline decision whether to include tripod mount or no. Not a lens I would want to hand hold for a length of time.

Anyway, I've prattled on long enough, after taking several crappy shots of Martin Place GPO, here's one of a rose in my front yard, that I thought wasn't too embarassing, sorry to post yet another flower shot.

135mm f2.8 full frame:

Same shot cropped:

Looks okay, don't you think?
03-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

i think it looks mighty fine
03-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
i think it looks mighty fine
Sigh of relief! I hope the 16-50 comes back from Pentax looking like that, then I can go shooting with a bag of star lenses, and have only myself to blame if the photos come out crap.

On another note, my wife and daughter are completely desensitized to my photos, it takes a F star 300 or DA70 Limited shot before they will even comment, I finally got a positive response out of them with this one.