Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why do you change lenses all the time? I participate in the Single In...Challenge here on the forum. I pick one lens, usually a prime, and shoot with pretty much just that lens all month. Sure, sometimes what I want to shoot doesn't work with that lens, but I work through it, and learn and grow. One thing this has taught me is that the focal length is far far less important than most would have you believe. While a 20mm will not give the SAME shot as a 70, it can usually be used to tell the same story about the same subject. Sometimes it forces you to tell a different story, and sometimes it turns out to be better than what you wanted in the first place. It's all about mental discipline, learn to see the shot you can take with the lens you have. Instead of buying a zoom, or changing lenses, just join us single in folks!

09-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I'd look at the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 or the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 considering the lenses you already have. I haven't used either, but am just going off ratings. Between those two the DA* has higher rating on here, Amazon, and B&H, but it has a reputation for having SDM issues as well. KEH is a good place to check out if you don't require new. I think they give you a 6 month warranty.
09-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Imo, a zoom is always good to have as an addition to the primes. I would suggest a normal zoom that you can use on certain occasions like traveling, shapshots, or when you are with family/friends who don't want to wait on lens changes.

I have an older Sigma 18-50/2.8 which has been great for that purpose, only caveat is I would like it a bit longer. So the new Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 would be a good alternative I believe. Of course this depends on your shooting style and light conditions... If tele is more important to you a 18-135 or 18-250 would do it. If you, like me, think low abilities is worth more, consider a 2.8 zoom.
09-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prime lenses

Talking about the DA16-45 F4 I have it and it takes excellent pics on my new K30.
I'm planning on getting the Pentax DA35mm 2.4 AL , because I'm thinking my small landscape shots and general walk-around shots would be better with
the supposedly very sharp and fast 2.4 35mm, as compared to only the F4 available from the 16-45.
Does anyone agree with my thinking. I have seen many, many shots wide angle and close up taken by the 2.4 35mm prime, and they are mostly all gorgeous.
I have a feeling I will be thrilled with the 35mm 2.4. Any ideas from out there. Freddy
P.S. I also think the weight and the overall size of the 35mm 2.4 will be wonderful on the k30 (which by the way is great for my medium to small size hands.

09-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Why do you change lenses all the time? I participate in the Single In...Challenge here on the forum. I pick one lens, usually a prime, and shoot with pretty much just that lens all month. Sure, sometimes what I want to shoot doesn't work with that lens, but I work through it, and learn and grow. One thing this has taught me is that the focal length is far far less important than most would have you believe. While a 20mm will not give the SAME shot as a 70, it can usually be used to tell the same story about the same subject. Sometimes it forces you to tell a different story, and sometimes it turns out to be better than what you wanted in the first place. It's all about mental discipline, learn to see the shot you can take with the lens you have. Instead of buying a zoom, or changing lenses, just join us single in folks!
I'm thinking the same way, Zozlok. That's why I think I'll love the 35mm 2.4 prime. The only other zoom I have besides the Da16-45 is the Da50-200. I'm hoping the Da50-200 will fill the long range
telephoto needs I might have. It took some great shots what I was shooting farm machinery across big fields in Long Island, NY. Freddy
P.S. the DA16-45 can't really be considered a satisfactory zoom for many intermediate range shots, anyway.
09-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Talking about the DA16-45 F4 I have it and it takes excellent pics on my new K30.
I'm planning on getting the Pentax DA35mm 2.4 AL , because I'm thinking my small landscape shots and general walk-around shots would be better with
the supposedly very sharp and fast 2.4 35mm, as compared to only the F4 available from the 16-45.
Does anyone agree with my thinking. I have seen many, many shots wide angle and close up taken by the 2.4 35mm prime, and they are mostly all gorgeous.
I have a feeling I will be thrilled with the 35mm 2.4. Any ideas from out there. Freddy
P.S. I also think the weight and the overall size of the 35mm 2.4 will be wonderful on the k30 (which by the way is great for my medium to small size hands.
If you are really used to zooms, you probably will have a period of adjustment to not having a zoom ring to adjust framing. Possibly you may be frustrated that you are missing shots. Then you start to get an idea of what framing will work for that prime lens. At some point you may adapt so well to that focal length that you are already standing at the right distance to use a 35mm lens, already seeing how the image would look, thinking about the right aperture or shutter speed, not even considering zooming.

Anyway, that is how it works for me. I feel like this should be quoted again:

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I used a 120mm prime in August and I agree totally. At first the lens stays on the camera just because you know you'll shoot with it tomorrow. Then you start seeing everything around you in terms of 120mm. Some days you might have to think a little about that, but sometimes 120mm is natural.

[Of course zooms are allowed in Single In as well.]
09-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I bought two Limited lenses within the past year or so. The 40 F 2.8 and the 70 F 2.4.

I can't stop using them...they're so good. Clarity, bokeh....when I want it....perspective.

I'm usually a zoom lens guy..but it's well worth it to use a prime...even if you do have to walk ahead or back a few feet.
09-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I love my 35mm f/2.4. It is a very discrete for taking candid shots and is pretty sharp when it is stopped down a bit. It was my primary lens until I got my 55mm f/1.4, which isn't to discrete with its lens hood on .