Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

collecting junk

The other day I posted about the SMC Pentax 50/1.2 that I got for nothing because it was all moldy. It was really easy to take apart and clean so I'm wondering about another one.
The same store had a very moldy Pentax-654 FA 200/4. I initially passed on it because I already have the A version of that lens and I figured it might be more complicated to disassemble with the auto focus and all. So my question is whether this is an easy lens to take apart and clean; and also if anyone has opinions of what they would do. It was really moldy, on multiple element! Is it even worth the time and effort? I'm perfect happy with the manual version of all my 645 lenses and don't really have any intentions of moving to the AF versions.

09-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would invest in an ozone generator to kill the mould spores if possible removing them from the lens means they go somewhere!
09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
UV light will kill them too.
09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You better put on some UV blocker and wear goggles and long sleeves, it takes a lot of mw/cm2 to kill living organisms.
Just saying...

09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Cosmic rays will also kill micro organisms =D
09-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's easy... Just use a hammer... Just sayin'..
09-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Mold killer

I've had pretty good results with just Windex Antibacterial and lots of q-tips....and patience......and memory to remember the order that the lens came apart....or better yet goes back together.

09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Oh and as for the lens in question I am not familiar.

However I have found MF primes, MF zooms, AF primes, and AF zooms to definatelly vary on the difficulty level for servicing or cleaning. Just the fact that it is an AF alone does not indicate that i will be more difficult than the MF version to put back to together.

Patience and the correct tools are key though. Definitely invest in some quality Phillips head mini-screw drivers. Nothing worse than stripping that last screw out after you are almost to the element you need to clean.
09-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Katrina, Sandy, recent floods in Colorado -- lots of "refurbished", pre-owned, moldy automobiles on the used car lots to tempt the tire kickers. But do you really want one of them with an history of unknown problems?

The current trend in disassembling and "cleaning up" broken or moldy lenses by folks asking some pretty basic questions about tools and procedures can ultimately lead to a used lens market that can only be viewed with distrust, skepticism and depressed values for ALL 'pre-owned' lenses.

I've learned a lot over the years by performing autopsies on lenses, bodies, binoculars, etc. and gained great respect for those that designed and assembled the classics in the process. I've even returned a few to apparently "normal" condition.

But I've never considered it proper to offer such to some one else for sale, or even for free, without full disclosure of it's history and value. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there fully capable of returning gear to useful service -- obviously there are and they contribute valuable information to this forum. But there is a slippery path toward an unintended effect on the economics of the used gear market that should be considered here.

I recently bought a pair of auctioned Pentax 7x35 binoculars (Pentax makes fine binoculars, the older 8x40's are excellent I might add) described as in excellent condition. On receipt, it was obvious that someone had opened one barrel for some reason and failed miserably to properly clean and reassemble the optical elements. I really don't believe the seller was aware of the condition, but when I pointed it out and documented it with photos I was accused of trying to scam the sale. Fortunately I was able to properly repair the item myself but that was a good example of how DIY gear "repair" can lead to future problems.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 09-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
09-20-2013, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve_093 Quote
Definitely invest in some quality Phillips head mini-screw drivers.
And JIS?
09-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
And JIS?
What he said. Any crosspoint screw head on a Japanese camera or lens is probably JIS. Phillips is not a good compromise solution. You can get JIS screwdrivers at Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home.

Steve
09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
The current trend in disassembling and "cleaning up" broken or moldy lenses by folks asking some pretty basic questions about tools and procedures can ultimately lead to a used lens market that can only be viewed with distrust, skepticism and depressed values for ALL 'pre-owned' lenses.
Thanks for posting this. I am sure that the OP is an ethical individual, but having purchased (and returned) several lenses that have suffered from fungus removal for resale*, a gentle reminder to not resell without full disclosure is a not a bad idea.

Steve

* Evidence takes the form of scoring/scratches on internal elements in tandem with damaged screw heads. Yes, this has happened more than once.
09-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Good catch, JIS for sure for the #00. Learned that one the hard way years ago on a Suzuki motorcycle.

Phillips normally work fine down to the #0, just depends on what lens element you have to get to.
09-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve:
Phillips is not a good compromise solution.
For those new to the JIS topic:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/119344-cross-...s-caution.html

The increased radius of the Phillips driver ensures that it will not seat properly and can damage the screw head under more than moderate torque.
09-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, just for the record, I finally got back to the store today and asked whether they still had the moldy Pentax 645 FA 200/4 in their junk bin but it was gone.
If it had still been there I probably would have brought it home, more for the fun of disassembling it and working on it than anything else. I would never try to resell that sort of lens unless it was to a store. At camera stores they have trained professionals who inspect and rate any lens before buying it and so they take full responsibility for the item. Of course you only get 1/2 of what they intend to sell it for so the profits are greatly reduced but at least you don't have to worry about unhappy customers.