Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tele-Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 400mm F5.6

A friend is letting me try out this lens since he has not used it in many years. The k-mount adapter does not lock when I mount it on the camera. The k mount he has on was for a K-1000 film camera so is there a different one I can use? When I get it mounted on the camera all the lense info text is on the bottom side of the camera. Is this because of the K- mount adapter currently installed?

Also there is no tripod mount on this lense. Can I get one or do you know of a universal one that I can use?

Thanks for the advice!!

09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CRMassart Quote
A friend is letting me try out this lens since he has not used it in many years. The k-mount adapter does not lock when I mount it on the camera. The k mount he has on was for a K-1000 film camera so is there a different one I can use? When I get it mounted on the camera all the lense info text is on the bottom side of the camera. Is this because of the K- mount adapter currently installed?

Also there is no tripod mount on this lense. Can I get one or do you know of a universal one that I can use?

Thanks for the advice!!
There's only one genuine M42 to K adapter, so that's weird!

As for the tripod mount, look for something similar to this:
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k-mount adapter does not lock when I mount it on the camera.
If the owner is using a Chinese knock-off adapter and has removed the locking tab (a very good idea) then no, the lens will not lock in like a regular k-mount lens. The official Pentax adapter works fine and will lock in properly. Many of the knock-offs have a tab that is supposed to lock-in the lens but often cause it to lock in permanently and cannot be removed without a lot of trouble, so many people remove the tab.

I use my 400mm f5.6 in this manner and have no problems. Mine does have a tripod mount though.

mounted on the camera all the lense info text is on the bottom side of the camera
This seems to be luck of the draw depending on how the adapter and lens are threaded. Some M42 lenses will show the info on top, others on the bottom. I think different adapters end up with different placement as well. So that is basically normal though unfortunate.
09-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try placing a shim between the adapter and the base of the lens to adjust the position of the aperture ring. Do not allow the shim to interfere with the lens to mount surface since it's that interface that sets the proper registration for infinity focus (i.e., don't let it act as an extension ring.) A tight rubber band or grommet may work.

I prefer to adjust the shim spacing so that the aperture index rests at the 2- or 10-o'clock position so that it can be read without interference from the flash housing.

H2