Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Tak lens...worth repairing?

Well, sometimes you get lucky on ebay, sometimes you don't. I recently picked up a Spot F with a Super-Tak 35/2.0 for a reasonably good price, but when it arrived I noticed a problem with the lens. The front barrel appears to be loose, as there's about 0.5 cm of play. It doesn't appear to affect the lens elements, but I'm definitely no expert in this area. Thoughts?

My M42-K adapter hasn't arrived yet so I haven't done any test shots with it, but I'm curious if I should send this lens in for repair or just use it as is.

Also, the lens has yellowed...I heard that leaving it out in sunlight for about 15 minutes will take care of that. Has anyone tried this?

I attached some photos so you can see what I'm getting at...

Attached Images

03-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #2

I don't think to retighten the front barrel is that hard. I've operated on a few of my m42 lens, including changing a damaged 50M 1.4 front barrel to a super tak 50 1.4 barrel.

Just get yourself some precision tool, and spend some time on various lens "operation" tutorial online.

About the yellowing of the lens, I tried on my super tak 50 1.4, and it reduced a fair bit.

Mike
03-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The elements don't move with the barrel movement? So it sounds like it is just the barrel tube itself that is loose. This is most likely really easy to fix. The ring that has "super takumar" on it should simply unscrew from the barrel, like a filter would. I devised a little rubber tool that would grip it and make unscrewing it a little easier. After the ring is removed you should see 3 little screws that are holding the barrel tube on to the rest of the lens. I suspect these are loose, or maybe even missing one or two. Tighten them down and you should be good.

The coatings can give a golden appearance sometimes, and will not affect image quality. If you do have the yellowing of the radioactive element, then I have read that exposing to the sun will reduce the problem. But I think it will take longer then 15 minutes. Probably more like 15 days. But I don't have one of these lenses, so I havn't had a chance to try it.

If the lens is junk to you, send it to me and I'll be happy to dispose of it for you!
03-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
edl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses. Any idea where I'd get this precision tool? It does sound like an easy fix, provided I have proper equipment.

03-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a link that should help. It's not your lens, but similar enough for what you need. The hardest part of disassembling a lens IMO is getting the name ring off, after that all you need is a small slotted screwdriver. Like what you would use for a pair of eye glasses. In the link provided above is a picture of the official tool to remove the ring. I just cut a soft rubber gasket to fit on a lens cap, and used that. You can get creative and come up with something. Just don't scratch the lens in the process. Or you can get the tool from a place like this. There are probably other places, but a quick google for "lens tools" should get you going.