Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you want to keep the lens, your options listed are about it. That was a good idea to call CRIS and get their input.

Converting to screw drive might not be so bad as the focus throw is fairly short on the 16-50. Just would have to find someone with a K-7 that is willing to do the conversion for you.

09-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Both my DA*16-50's have failed. One is repaired, one I converted to screw drive. After comparing them both in real world use I can't tell the difference, so I have just sold the repaired one and kept the screw drive copy for peace of mind. The screw drive mechanism is pretty quiet with the DA*16-50: presumably because of the short focus throw and the amount of polycarbonate and rubber to damp the sound.

It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
09-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kinda sucks you can't do the conversion with a K5.
09-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I borrowed a K10D from a mate.

09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Kinda sucks you can't do the conversion with a K5.
Yup. I fired up pk teather, connected up the K-5, entered debug mode and... it's just a test menu. Nothing of use. :P
09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Since I haven't been as frequently on the forum, when you guys talk about the DIY fix, are you referring to this: DIY SDM repair v1.0

And when you guys talk about converting it to scewdrive, are you just talking about using it with say a K10 with the downgraded firmare to ignore SDM? Or is this an actual physical fix to the lens?

Sorry for the questions. Thanks.
Yes and no. The K10D and a few other older cameras can access the lens firmware and change it permanently, so that any camera, whether a K-5ii or K10D, recognizes it as a screw-driven lens only.

I live about a half hour from Clinton, I think we'll meet and use the K10D to change his 16-50 to a screw-drive only lens if he wishes.
09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Yes and no. The K10D and a few other older cameras can access the lens firmware and change it permanently, so that any camera, whether a K-5ii or K10D, recognizes it as a screw-driven lens only.

I live about a half hour from Clinton, I think we'll meet and use the K10D to change his 16-50 to a screw-drive only lens if he wishes.
There you go Clinton - what a great offer! You could even have buittospill convert it for you and if you don't like it and then want to send it off to CRIS, he can put it back to its original state just as quickly.
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #38
Inactive Account

cris

My DA* 16-50 has been at CRIS for 3 months now for the same problem. Parts on back order from pentax since. 7/1/13

10-01-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

This 16-50 fiasco has been a real downer for me.
THis lens would be perfect for me, it would live on my camera 85-90% length of the time, because of its focal length (only standard zoom that goes to 16mm wide) and WR. But these horror stories are waaaaay too common for me to touch this lens with a 10 foot pole, and judging from the countless other 16-50mm threads, i am not the only one.
10-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently they've resolved the issue. The problem is just a throwback to those of us that bought these when they were fairly new to the market.
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
Banned

That's what they're still saying?
10-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
That's what they're still saying?
Well, that's what the repair tech at CRIS had to say. He said specifically the PCB should be replaced with a newer one, and the dc motor should be replaced with a newer one. He also said that neither of these were done on the previous 2 repair attempts because the parts hadn't yet been released or made.

Do you have evidence that this is a scam that Pentax or CRIS is perpetrating?
10-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Well, that's what the repair tech at CRIS had to say. He said specifically the PCB should be replaced with a newer one, and the dc motor should be replaced with a newer one. He also said that neither of these were done on the previous 2 repair attempts because the parts hadn't yet been released or made.

Do you have evidence that this is a scam that Pentax or CRIS is perpetrating?
The fact that you're paying for a known design and implementation fault.

If I were you, you're the direct line right now. Get the part numbers for the old and new parts. Also, as part of the repairs, you can get your old parts back (whenever I get repair work done, I request old parts given to me). Then a real comparison can be made.
10-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This 16-50 fiasco has been a real downer for me.
THis lens would be perfect for me, it would live on my camera 85-90% length of the time, because of its focal length (only standard zoom that goes to 16mm wide) and WR. But these horror stories are waaaaay too common for me to touch this lens with a 10 foot pole, and judging from the countless other 16-50mm threads, i am not the only one.
I'm in the same boat. I desperately want a good quality (better than kit lens) constant aperture everyday zoom and I have stayed away from the DA* 16-50 because of its reputation for SDM motor issues.

I'm currently looking very strongly at the Sigma EX 17-50/2.8, but it's missing weather sealing. Otherwise it seems to be a very solid choice and it's much less expensive than the DA*.

If there was confirmation that the SDM motor issues are indeed fixed with redesigned parts and failure should be no higher than any other manufacturer's internal motors, I might still go for this lens. Unfortunately, I fear we will never get official confirmation from Pentax and we'll have anecdotal "evidence" mixed in with all the noise.
10-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm in the same boat. I desperately want a good quality (better than kit lens) constant aperture everyday zoom and I have stayed away from the DA* 16-50 because of its reputation for SDM motor issues.

I'm currently looking very strongly at the Sigma EX 17-50/2.8, but it's missing weather sealing. Otherwise it seems to be a very solid choice and it's much less expensive than the DA*.

If there was confirmation that the SDM motor issues are indeed fixed with redesigned parts and failure should be no higher than any other manufacturer's internal motors, I might still go for this lens. Unfortunately, I fear we will never get official confirmation from Pentax and we'll have anecdotal "evidence" mixed in with all the noise.
I'm of the opinion, having tried out the three, to go with the Tamron 17-50.

True, the WR feature is very enticing, but I've not yet had an issue in the rain mostly because I prep with a bag that slips over the hood. It might not be the most elegant solution, but it works and fits in any cam bag and is ready to slip on in a moment due to the way I formed and taped the ends. If you're a filter person, a BW Nano filter works wonders for allowing the water to shed right off.

Outside of that, the optical quality is excellent, fast focusing, as accurate as can be on a K-5, and very sharp, with good contrast and color rendition in my usage. To boot, Tamron offers a 5 year total warranty in the EU (2 years is standard) when one registers the lens. I'd say they have confidence in their products.

The Sigma is quite good, but I prefer the Tamron just a bit more due to the sharpness and contrast differences I saw. I felt the Sigma a hair smooth in its rendition, while I like a bit more coarseness.

Last edited by snake; 10-04-2013 at 03:29 AM.