Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I'm of the opinion, having tried out the three, to go with the Tamron 17-50.

True, the WR feature is very enticing, but I've not yet had an issue in the rain mostly because I prep with a bag that slips over the hood. It might not be the most elegant solution, but it works and fits in any cam bag and is ready to slip on in a moment due to the way I formed and taped the ends. If you're a filter person, a BW Nano filter works wonders for allowing the water to shed right off.

Outside of that, the optical quality is excellent, fast focusing, as accurate as can be on a K-5, and very sharp, with good contrast and color rendition in my usage. To boot, Tamron offers a 5 year total warranty in the EU (2 years is standard) when one registers the lens. I'd say they have confidence in their products.

The Sigma is quite good, but I prefer the Tamron just a bit more due to the sharpness and contrast differences I saw. I felt the Sigma a hair smooth in its rendition, while I like a bit more coarseness.
Sounds like you got a good copy of the Tammy, but some reports I've read says their QC varies more than Sigma and bad lenses do get out there, with severe front focus being a common problem in this lens. Also, the samples reviewed here on PF gives better sharpness scores across the frame to Sigma, even if the Tammy may have a slight edge in the center. I'd much rather have even sharpness that a sharp center and weaker edges of the frame. The screw drive is also a negative for me. Part of my upgrade desire from the kit DA 18-55 is to get rid of the noisy screw-drive and have a quieter all-around zoom. I don't believe the Tammy is a bad lens, it just doesn't tick enough boxes for me compared to the Sigma.

Last edited by cbope; 10-06-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
10-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Sounds like you got a good copy of the Tammy, but some reports I've read says their QC varies more than Sigma and bad lenses do get out there, with severe front focus being a common problem in this lens. Also, the samples reviewed here on PF gives better sharpness scores across the frame to Sigma, even if the Tammy may have a slight edge in the center. I'd much rather have even sharpness that a sharp center and weaker edges of the frame. The screw drive is also a negative for me. Part of my upgrade desire from the kit DA 18-55 is to get rid of the noisy screw-drive and have a quieter all-around zoom. I don't believe the Tammy is a bad lens, it just doesn't tick enough boxes for me compared to the Sigma.
Maybe, maybe not. I tried one prior and it was perfect, too. I find it fascinating, though, that people are ready to pounce in and defend the SDM lenses and fight tooth and nail to do so and dispute those that have problems with them, but third parties, well, everyone's heard something about the third party lenses, apparently. there's even a guy on DPR that made up some fantasy story about Sigma's K-mounts not being compatible with Pentax and all sorts of back room stuff he's not privy to, like claiming Sigma doesn't license the mount from Pentax, etc. Anyhow, two copies went through my hands, both were ok. One was a test lens, probably knocked around a lot at the shop.
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I certainly won't be stepping in to defend SDM lenses, although I've never owned one. I've heard too many failure stories to believe in it at this point. Glad to hear you've had two good Tammy's.

On a related note, I just found that one of my local shops has dropped the price on the Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX HSM to 399€, down from mid-500€ or so the last time I checked. This price drop has been mentioned by others in Europe... I wonder if they are clearing inventory for a new version of the lens or something else to replace it?
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Banned

That is likely. The sigma is a nice lens. Under my conditions, it feels a bit flat in its rendition, but for some, it's exactly what they're looking for. Optically, I think it's a fine lens. Perhaps more splitting hairs at this point. I feel both of them are by far better optically than the 16-50, especially since the 16-50 also has had a history of decentered elements (which I also saw in several copies I tried).

10-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I used my 16-50 for 3 years and have no problem at all. because when I don't use my lens, I switch the button to mf which is turn off.
10-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #51
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I used my 16-50 for 3 years and have no problem at all. because when I don't use my lens, I switch the button to mf which is turn off.
05-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #52
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just sent my 16-50 in for the third time for SDM failure. wrote to Ricoh and they are eating the labor and they also sent me a shipping label which saved me a good bit my costs going to be $56.00. the motor they are putting in this time has supposedly been redesigned. I know they have had trouble with this lens but I think this is a bit too much. does anyone have any experience with the redesigned SDM ? and has anyone had this many failures ?
05-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
the motor they are putting in this time has supposedly been redesigned. I know they have had trouble with this lens but I think this is a bit too much. does anyone have any experience with the redesigned SDM ?
You must be getting annoyed with the failures. (An understatement?)

Did Ricoh state that the motor is a new type or design? Since the two failures of my 50-135, I've been trying to find any official, definitive statement from Ricoh that they are using a different motor. Ricoh-Imaging Canada did not reveal anything of that nature to me, despite my direct questions to them.

- Craig

05-30-2014, 03:05 AM   #54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
it wasn't Ricoh I should have expanded on that my apologies. it was CRIS the repair place that told me the motor has been redesigned. I asked if they would include the old motor when they returned then lens and they said they would. had Ricoh not helped me out I was going to have it sent back and replace it with a third party lens. if it fails again I will try and repair it myself. I worked on radar in the navy and have some precision tools.