Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I've won several battles.

And yes, it was worth what it cost me (almost nothing) and thensome.
I don't consider a transaction that costs you nothing a battle. I've had warranty work done on gear before, but it was hardly a battle. I'm talking about getting a manufacturer to admit that even though their product was built within their specifications, it was still defective. If you've done that, well then, do tell us about it. If you haven't quit twisting my words to make yourself sound like some kind of hero.

09-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't consider a transaction that costs you nothing a battle. I've had warranty work done on gear before, but it was hardly a battle. I'm talking about getting a manufacturer to admit that even though their product was built within their specifications, it was still defective. If you've done that, well then, do tell us about it. If you haven't quit twisting my words to make yourself sound like some kind of hero.
I have with Acer and their laptop hinges that have a long history of failure. It took working through the BBB to get them to not only admit to their defects, but authorize their parts department to release them as spare parts, which they didn't do in the first place, which forced a BBB inquiry that their attorneys resolved in 72 hours.

I've done is several times with Mercedes parts on both continents. Mercedes also has been the subject of many class action lawsuits due to defective vehicle parts, such as engines and only when people complain do they do anything (ie defective s420s and receiving extended warranties due to it) or the m271 engine disaster where they simply throw parts at the problem at customer cost.

There are several more, but I don't subscribe to not fighting with these corporations. They've gotten as abusive as they are now because people act like this, then try to give advice to others to be spineless like them.

Let people do their own thing and figure it out.
09-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have with Acer and their laptop hinges that have a long history of failure. It took working through the BBB to get them to not only admit to their defects, but authorize their parts department to release them as spare parts, which they didn't do in the first place, which forced a BBB inquiry that their attorneys resolved in 72 hours.

I've done is several times with Mercedes parts on both continents. Mercedes also has been the subject of many class action lawsuits due to defective vehicle parts, such as engines and only when people complain do they do anything (ie defective s420s and receiving extended warranties due to it) or the m271 engine disaster where they simply throw parts at the problem at customer cost.

There are several more, but I don't subscribe to not fighting with these corporations. They've gotten as abusive as they are now because people act like this, then try to give advice to others to be spineless like them.

Let people do their own thing and figure it out.
So you've done this with other corporations but not with Pentax.... but you think if everyone was like you and got on Pentax, they'd address this? Because Pentax is a luxury item like a Mercedes? is that what you're saying?

Listen, I don't subscribe to the theory that you just let Corporations do whatever they want....as I said, I subscribe to the theory that you pick the battles you can win. You're obviously able to do this.

Now all you have to do is convince us that this is a battle Pentax customers can win. And that, you haven't done. So far you haven't even been able to bring up anything that would suggest these SDM failures are unacceptable by industry standards. So if you can get Pentax to fix these lenses, no one will be happier than me. But your constant sarcasm and butting into every SDM thread isn't welcome.

Just lay out what you think needs to be done and see if people buy into it. What's the plan Stan?

PS I'm not holding my breath.
09-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you've done this with other corporations but not with Pentax.... but you think if everyone was like you and got on Pentax, they'd address this? Because Pentax is a luxury item like a Mercedes? is that what you're saying?

Listen, I don't subscribe to the theory that you just let Corporations do whatever they want....as I said, I subscribe to the theory that you pick the battles you can win. You're obviously able to do this.

Now all you have to do is convince us that this is a battle Pentax customers can win. And that, you haven't done. So far you haven't even been able to bring up anything that would suggest these SDM failures are unacceptable by industry standards. So if you can get Pentax to fix these lenses, no one will be happier than me. But your constant sarcasm and butting into every SDM thread isn't welcome.

Just lay out what you think needs to be done and see if people buy into it. What's the plan Stan?

PS I'm not holding my breath.
Ummm, Mercedes is not considered a "luxury item" anywhere but in the US because only well-equipped models are exported to the US, not the ones with economy engines and cloth interiors and steel rims with plastic wheel covers, like most of the examples where I'm at, in Germany.

Here, they're considered "cars", or in beige, "taxis".

PS- I have laid out what needs to be done, as have dozens, if not, hundreds of others on various forums worldwide. From the rude, defensive tone of your rebuttals, I keep being led in the direction that you're a Pentax employee. Maybe not, but it's very odd that a consumer would fight so hard for a corporation without being connected.

Personally, I find your constant hunting and challenging of my posts little more than forum stalking and they are very harassing in tone.

PPS- here's what Mercedes cloth seats look like:

09-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Mercedes is not considered a "luxury item" anywhere but in the US

"Wabenzi is an Anglicization of the pejorative Bantu colloquialism WaBenzi, originally used in Kenya to refer to members of the new ruling class that superseded the colonial regime, that has come to refer to the new ruling class in any post-colonial African country. "Wa" is a prefix that refers to people in some Bantu languages; "benzi" comes from Mercedes-Benz, a car perceived as prestigious."

From

Wabenzi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Banned

Good thing I'm not in Kenya and I'm in Germany, where these things come from, so that is my frame of reference.
09-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Personally, I find your constant hunting and challenging of my posts little more than forum stalking and they are very harassing in tone.

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237754-da-16-5...#ixzz2fjjvFwNV

Don't flatter yourself, I don't hunt you or harass you, and if you're going to talk BS, I'm going to challenge you. Take a good look at yourself dude, the guy is asking for his opinions on what to do with his SDM lens on it's third failure, and your response is to launch a class action suit, or harrass the company hoping they'll cave in on the issue? You might admit, that might seem to be a little over the top. It's a public forum, you have a right to your opinion, to put out any thing you want, and I have every right to say, "I don't agree with either the perception you put forward, or the course of action you recommend." Some people consider fair comment to be harassment. Nothing I can do about that.

09-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I bought my 50-135 back in 2008, and had its SDM mechanism replaced in 2010 by C.R.I.S. for about $250 if I recall. I really had sort of neglected the lens since then, but I pulled it out to use the other day. Well, you guessed it, it's dead again. I'll need to try a couple of the basic attempts to revive it first, but I will not pay C.R.I.S. again to fix this POS. It's a shame, since it is such a nice lens.

Since I haven't been as frequently on the forum, when you guys talk about the DIY fix, are you referring to this: DIY SDM repair v1.0

And when you guys talk about converting it to scewdrive, are you just talking about using it with say a K10 with the downgraded firmare to ignore SDM? Or is this an actual physical fix to the lens?

Sorry for the questions. Thanks.
09-23-2013, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the rude, defensive tone of your rebuttals, I keep being led in the direction that you're a Pentax employee. Maybe not, but it's very odd that a consumer would fight so hard for a corporation without being connected.

Personally, I think coming into a camera enthusiast Forum and for 15 months constantly making aggressive, negative posts little more than brand stalking. There's a word for that which I cannot use again, and I wouldn't anyway if I could.

Tone begets tone, especially on the internet where facial expressions, voice volume and inflection can't be used to moderate statements. People with strong opinions are often well-served by use of conditional clauses and subjunctive. Then again, your residence is listed as New York and Germany. Though you've lived in the (what is it properly, Tri-State / NY / NJ Metro area? I can never get that right from my seat on the Mississippi River) as I now know, perhaps your grasp of US and/or Canadian/proper English isn't perfect?

It helps to do a little research before spraying aspersions around. Like maybe visiting normhead's Profile and reading a few of his historical Algonquin posts - or maybe looking at his photo albums and 400mm work.

I certainly wouldn't imagine he is a false-flag Pentax employee.
09-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for super helpful responses, including the picture of the Mercedes cloth seat!

What an awesome addition to my thread where I'm asking for some specific thoughts on which route I should take.

If you have a bone to pick with SDM, Pentax in general, or eachother, please get your backside off my thread and go elsewhere. I am looking for genuine help, not a bunch of trolls.

Lame.
09-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Looks like you got the best advice within the first hour, anyway.
09-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Hey guys, thanks for super helpful responses, including the picture of the Mercedes cloth seat!

What an awesome addition to my thread where I'm asking for some specific thoughts on which route I should take.

If you have a bone to pick with SDM, Pentax in general, or eachother, please get your backside off my thread and go elsewhere. I am looking for genuine help, not a bunch of trolls.

Lame.
It's OK Clinton. We've taken care of that for now. The 16-50 was my go to lens when I had it as well and I actually liked everything about it except for its size. But it was solidly built and produced brilliant IQ. I too learnt that the person I sold the lens to had an SDM failure and am now no longer keen on any SDM lens as great as all their IQs are. Since there's no other lens like the 16-50 on a K-mount, I too would convert it to screwdrive AF and enjoy the lens for the many more years to come.

Ash.
09-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote

Lame.
I guess I would second Sandy's suggestion to turn it into a screwdriven lens and you'll be done with SDM. You already have the lens and it's a fine lens, as long as auto focus works. Not sure if you would have to buy a camera in order to turn it off though...
09-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had a lengthy conversation with a great rep from CRIS named Ryan.

He did his homework, lookup up my serial number, and jhe says that the previous two repairs replaced the sdm motor, however Pentax has issued a new SDM motor and a PCB unit as well. He said that the last time they performed the repair it came to what was posted elsewhere in this thread. ~$240. He said that it's worth my time to send it in for a repair.

He also confirmed that most parts aren't coming through from Pentax right now, and recommended that I call him next week to see if that has been resolved before I send it.

Alternatively, I enlist someone with a K7 to convert it to screw drive.

Maybe those are my options at the moment.
09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know it's good optically (I assume your copy is) and weather sealed, potential issues with another lens.