Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Ordered the Tamron 17-50!

It should be here on Tues. April 1. Hope it is a good one. As soon as I learn how to post pics from one of the more learned, I will attempt the feat. Thanks all for your guidance and the never ending depletion of my $$$$$$$. schmally

03-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have fun with it! I'm interested to know how it works out for you...
04-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Got it yesterday--will use Wednesday!!

Got the lens as promised from B&H-- $419.00 + shipping. Lots and lots of rain and clouds in S.Illinois lately but will try to use in next few days. Waiting on a friend to instruct me on how to post pix. Will get back. schmally
04-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm very interested to see some images from this lens. I have been passively waiting for it's arrival in the states so it's great to see it in stock at B&H (wish I didn't live in NY, stupid sales tax).

After 3 tries on getting a good DA* 16-50 I gave up and decided to wait for this lens. Hopefully it can live up to it's brothers in other mounts of unmentionable brand....

Please let us know how you like it!

04-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #5

No news? I have my eyes set on the tamro ntoo.
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's thursday let us know how the lens is!!!
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay!

The weather is atrocious here with clouds and much rain. I have taken a few exploratory shots and it is very sharp and the colors are accurate. We are in another downpour for the next 36 hours. I can say that I am having a "lensathon" sensory overload!! I just picked up a 40 and 70 limited so that I will have some reference point to share. If you are thinking of the Tamron , I would not hesitate buying it. My Pentax dealer thinks it is worthy and gives it a thumbs up. schmally
04-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it's great you got a good copy! so far i've only heard bad news about the lens
i'm really interested as to how it compares to the limiteds ... the DA40 is always tempting me :P

04-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Not the OP, buy my copy arrived on Monday from B&H. Popped it on the K10D and sat around snapping a few shots the rest of the evening. Posted a few at Tamron 17-50. I shot a lot more of kids, toys, furniture, etc., and the outcome is pretty consistent with those posted.

Looks like I share some troubles that I've seen others post about which include a little front-focusing and exposure accuracy across the aperture.

The front-focusing is fairly consistent, and most prevalent in tungsten lighting. Natural and flash produce pretty good results.

There is one series illustrating the exposure issue.

All of the shots are with center-point focus and Av. Mixed feelings so far. When it and I agree on the point of focus, it's seems as good as I could hope for. But I haven't found the magic phrase yet so that I can predict what it's going to do. Sorry, not a very detailed posting - any questions, just ask. For comparison, I was also swapping in a Tamron 18-200 and a Pentax 50-200, both of which behaved good, as expected.

Last edited by 1979w72; 04-03-2008 at 07:38 PM.
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by 1979w72 Quote
Not the OP, buy my copy arrived on Monday from B&H. Popped it on the K10D and sat around snapping a few shots the rest of the evening. Posted a few at Tamron 17-50. I shot a lot more of kids, toys, furniture, etc., and the outcome is pretty consistent with those posted.

Looks like I share some troubles that I've seen others post about which include a little front-focusing and exposure accuracy across the aperture.

The front-focusing is fairly consistent, and most prevalent in tungsten lighting. Natural and flash produce pretty good results.

There is one series illustrating the exposure issue.

All of the shots are with center-point focus and Av. Mixed feelings so far. When it and I agree on the point of focus, it's seems as good as I could hope for. But I haven't found the magic phrase yet so that I can predict what it's going to do. Sorry, not a very detailed posting - any questions, just ask. For comparison, I was also swapping in a Tamron 18-200 and a Pentax 50-200, both of which behaved good, as expected.
So, are you planning to send it to Tamron? Can they even fix lighting-dependent focusing issues?
04-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
So, are you planning to send it to Tamron? Can they even fix lighting-dependent focusing issues?
I'll probably end up sending it back to B&H. Even putting the focusing issue aside, the exposure variance would be hard to live with. I may head up to my local shop tomorrow and see if I can try it out on a K20D, just for another information point. At least I should be able to check the exposure.
04-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
hll

Photos: Gallery
guys i did not understand the problem of the tammy, please explain...
04-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #13

Original Poster
LBA remorse????

Guys,

I sent it back today due to my "love" for the limiteds that I got yesterday. I am replacing it with a 21mm Pentax. I never really even gave the Tammy an honest chance. Sorry for any anticipated photos that I did not deliver. schmally
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by schmally Quote
Guys,

I sent it back today due to my "love" for the limiteds that I got yesterday. I am replacing it with a 21mm Pentax. I never really even gave the Tammy an honest chance. Sorry for any anticipated photos that I did not deliver. schmally
Something very similar happened with me. I ordered the 21mm while waiting for this lens to be available, and now I think I am going to stick with the 21+43 setup for a while
04-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by schmally Quote
Guys,

did you not even take one or two focus test pictures? no need to be artistic or sth?

now i would like a 21mm too... but a standard zoom seems more important.