Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lens or flash, lens or flash?

didn't know where to put this, but I think this is the right place. I will be getting around $200 soon and cant decide wether I want the pentax 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens or the pentax AF-360 flash.

Either one will be used for family pictures and or portraits inside. I'm leaning towards the lens but would like other peoples thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance.

-Tyler

03-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #2

I would buy the Pentax AF-360 flash at Circuitcity for $147.27 (FREE SHIPPING), then buy a used 50mm f/2.0 for around $40-50 on ebay.. I've got this lens and love it.
When you have another $200 you can buy FA 50mm F/1.4 and sell the F2.0 for $40 easy.
Just my 2 bucks )
03-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mummy Quote
I would buy the Pentax AF-360 flash at Circuitcity for $147.27 (FREE SHIPPING), then buy a used 50mm f/2.0 for around $40-50 on ebay.. I've got this lens and love it.
When you have another $200 you can buy FA 50mm F/1.4 and sell the F2.0 for $40 easy.
Just my 2 bucks )
I was looking at the cheap older lenses, but on the k100d I don't think there is the proper options in the menu for metering and stuff. I also think that I need the autofocus (because I'm lazy). Thanks for the link from circutcity though!
03-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
didn't know where to put this, but I think this is the right place. I will be getting around $200 soon and cant decide wether I want the pentax 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens or the pentax AF-360 flash.

Either one will be used for family pictures and or portraits inside. I'm leaning towards the lens but would like other peoples thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance.

-Tyler
I'd go for the FA50mm/f1.4, it makes very fine photos. I like indoor photos without flash in general more than with, unless you go for off camera with the flash (AF-540 + remote control / cable), however thats probably not within your budget.

- Bert

03-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Igilligan

Here is one of those answers many complain about because it does not answer the question within the limitations set, but here goes. I got the FA 50 as my first lens for indoor family shots. It is really a beautiful little lens and I like it a lot, but for indoor shots in my small house, it is just a bit long on many occasions. After many shots I would say The FA 35 would be a better length for indoors. BUT... It is of course $300 not 200....

Since I did not want the FA 35 and the FA 50, I decided to get the Tamron 28-75 2.8 constant AP and I have really been happy with this lens. It is the perfect little family lens for indoors.
But again it is $349. It is my favorite lens for shots of the family, a nice zoom range for portraits.

I also was looking at the 360 flash at CC... but it cannot be bounced in portrait orientation and many of my indoor shots of the girls are with the camera turned. So I am still looking for a flash.

If I had it to do over again, the first lens I would have got for my family shots would be the 28-75 F2.8, but I still would have somehow got the FA 35 or 50 later.

See, that not only did not directly answer your question, but may have confused the issue even more.
Sorry.

PS the old lenses meter pretty well on my K100d, and a couple of my faves is a SMC takumar 50 1.4 that I got a camera swap for 35 dollars and SMC M35 3.5 that I had from my old days with pentax.
Dont be afraid of the metering issues with the old glass, lots of friendly folks on here will help. But be careful, the old MF glass is addicting to say the least.

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-27-2008 at 09:44 AM.
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Here is one of those answers many complain about because it does not answer the question within the limitations set, but here goes. I got the FA 50 as my first lens for indoor family shots. It is really a beautiful little lens and I like it a lot, but for indoor shots in my small house, it is just a bit long on many occasions. After many shots I would say The FA 35 would be a better length for indoors. BUT... It is of course $300 not 200....

Since I did not want the FA 35 and the FA 50, I decided to get the Tamron 28-75 2.8 constant AP and I have really been happy with this lens. It is the perfect little family lens for indoors.
But again it is $349. It is my favorite lens for shots of the family, a nice zoom range for portraits.

I also was looking at the 360 flash at CC... but it cannot be bounced in portrait orientation and many of my indoor shots of the girls are with the camera turned. So I am still looking for a flash.

If I had it to do over again, the first lens I would have got for my family shots would be the 28-75 F2.8, but I still would have somehow got the FA 35 or 50 later.

See, that not only did not directly answer your question, but may have confused the issue even more.
Sorry.

PS the old lenses meter pretty well on my K100d, and a couple of my faves is a SMC takumar 50 1.4 that I got a camera swap for 35 dollars and SMC M35 3.5 that I had from my old days with pentax.
Dont be afraid of the metering issues with the old glass, lots of friendly folks on here will help. But be careful, the old MF glass is addicting to say the least.
thats what I wasn't sure of about the flash. thanks for clearing that up! With my 18-55mm for indor photos, I am usually at the long end anyway, so I think I can deal with the length (but would like to get a 35mm prime later on). And I think that natural light photos have a better feel to them. Unless there is something drasticaly awesome about the flash, my mind is set on the 50mm f1.4. Thanks everybody for your help!
03-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #7

do the lens, unless you are going to go off-camera with that flash.
buying my vivitar 285HV, i didn't know i'd be getting an off-camera cord then a remote trigger. it really got me into portrait photography. so if you want to get into portraits with artificial light, get the flash. it will get you into a whole new realm of photography. you'll be happy either way, though. i've herad excellent things about the 50/1.4, though, too!