Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron Adaptal II SP 300 F2.8 ( 60B )

Just needing some advice regarding this Lens , a Friend is selling this lens in a PK mount and it's near Mint condition with the case and Glass is Pefect. what would one expect to pay for a 60B in great condition ?

Also I think it comes with a 1.4 x TC. will this give me enough reach to do Bird Photoghraphy ? or will I need a 2 x TC ?

09-24-2013, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Just needing some advice regarding this Lens , a Friend is selling this lens in a PK mount and it's near Mint condition with the case and Glass is Pefect. what would one expect to pay for a 60B in great condition ?

Also I think it comes with a 1.4 x TC. will this give me enough reach to do Bird Photoghraphy ? or will I need a 2 x TC ?
An in person sale with the 1.4x teleconverter - $700 would be a max value, that is assuming a couple of things:

1 - the lens has the Tamron 112mm UV filter (otherwise I would take $50 off at least for that).

2 - that is has the small 43mm clear filter insert and accompanying filter (no reason it shouldn't) - this is a slide out piece near the lens mount.

3 - that the Adaptall adapter is the type that pass acts as an A series Pentax lens and passes aperture info between lens and camera (I would value that at $80-100 which is what you'd realistically pay to get one).
09-24-2013, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The 112mm filter (says TAMRON and "Normal Filter" on it) goes for about $100 when they come up (not often), and the threads are a little weird -- other 112mm filters won't necessarily fit on that lens. So make sure that is there. (Even though I don't recommend you actually use it -- I take mine off on my 400/4 65B to reduce aberrations.) But it definitely has value.

It should also have the case -- I'd value that at least $50 too.

Check the rear slide-out filter as stated above, although that is fairly easily replaced. (There must be a filter in there for proper infinity focus.)

If the mount is a PK mount, that's worth about $20. If it is a PKA mount, it is worth about $70. (I think actual selling prices are $60-$80, even though you often see higher asking prices.) If it is a PKA mount, make sure it WORKS -- they don't all.

If the 1.4x TC is the Tamron Adaptall model (140F), that is worth about $70-$80. (That is probably what it is, as they were often bundled with that lens.) If it is another type, values vary wildly depending on what it is.

It should also come with the big 39FH hood. (If it doesn't, I happen to have an extra one for sale.)

So if all that is there with a PKA mount, yeah I'd say $700 max like above, but I wouldn't consider that an awesome deal or anything, just a fairish price and you can find such a deal quite often on ebay, etc. But for $500 - $600 with no additional taxes or shipping charges, well worth it as you can be sure of getting most or all of your money back should you decide to sell it yourself next year...

Oh, and as far as the reach, you will find it wanting. Whatever lens you buy, you will find it wanting in the end. That's just the nature of trying to capture those little birds.
09-24-2013, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Enough reach? Yes with the tc. The only real problem that I've run into with the tamron adaptalls is the mount. It is flimsy and unreliable. Expect to carry with you a miniature screwdriver set. If you shoot regularly you will wear them out, and the PKA adapters are not cheap. I ended up using a cheap PK with no mechanism from ebay. It acts like the M42, you open the aperture to focus then stop down. To adjust the shutter speed you adjust the iso on the body, and the aperture on the lens. The PKA are nice when they work, but they often don't.

I agree with vonBaloney, you will never be happy with what you get If you use it, learn to manual focus, and develop your skills to get the best possible out of the lens, you will have lots to do for a year or more.

09-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers Guys , Thank you for all your reponses , I'm heading to his place on

saturday to see the Lens in Flesh.

The Lens comes with it's original case and Hood.

Not sure about the Filters though.

Will take some photos of the Glass and the casing of the lens and post them here.
-------
10-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I Picked up the lens from his place this afternoon , he also had the 1.4 x-s and 2.0 x-s pentax tc's so we struck a deal. I think I paid a fair price. The 2 pentax tc's look brand new.when I got home I threw the 2 x tc on Tamron Adaptell lens and went outside to grab some photos of the bottle brushes , my first impression of the lens is that's heavy. I tried doing some hand held shots but my shoulders started getting sore.
10-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can someone please Point me to the Right Direction , where will I be able to find a Good 2nd hand condition base for the 300 SP 2.8 , the existing base is warpped and the adaptell mount will not lock in to place due to the surface of the base not being dead flat.