Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help shooting with Tak 55mm 1.8 lens

Since I got my K30 camera, I was trying to think of a good use for my K200D.
One of my all time favorite lenses is the Takumar sMC 55mm 1.8 lens, but I'm forgetting how I used it.
I was able to attach my M42 adapter to the camera body and referred back to my notes.
My notes said: set Lens to M (and camera to M mode). then it said: focus the lens with lens slide on automatic but shoot it by sliding the slide to Manual (is there any way around that?) , when shooting.
I set the K200D to "enable aperture ring". It also said to set (under custom settings)
"Fl with S lens used" to custom function 2. I could not find this on the custom menu. Not even sure this setting applies to the Tak 55.
Can one of you brilliant guys tell me how to use the Tak 55 on the K200D. I used to get great outdoor shots with snow and everything with the lens. Nice landscapes.
If you can give me a blow by blow procedure I will really appreciate it. This way I can practice using the Tak on the K200D without having to reset everything, and just
always keep the Tak on the K200D, because I really love that lens. Freddy

09-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You have to move the switch to manual to stop the lens down to shoot and meter as the camera has no mechanism to do it in auto. If you can focus with it stopped down, just leave it there but focusing is easier with the aperture wide open. If you shoot in the auto setting on the lens, all your shots will be wide open.
09-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just leave the cam on p mode and the lens on manual, the camera will go to Av by itself and meter bybthe amount of
Light depending on the aperture you set the lens at. Focusing is not a problem as you will not use mofe than f8 anyways and
Preferably 5.6 or less.
A lot easier than the m mode and stop down method.
09-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. Bob, are you saying I have to set the f stop manually before I take any shots. Do you mean I manually rotate the ring putting the 8.0 settting at the red line. Yes or no.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not sure of the lingo. I just took some flash shots in the p mode after rotating the ring to f8 and it seemed the perfect exposure shooting in my den, here. Then I went out on the terrace in the bright sun and found that I needed a setting of f1.8 or f2.8 to get a proper exposure.
Freddy

Last edited by fevbusch; 09-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
09-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K200D and I have an S-M-C TAK 55/1.8.

Using that combo in Av mode never works very well on my K200D! Light metering is too unreliable.

So, here's what I do: Set the camera to M-mode and set the lens to Manual. Stop down the lens (: yes, rotating the aperture ring on the lens putting your desired aperture setting at the red line as you ask above); focus; measure the light with the lens stopped down using the green button; take my shot. Of course, if you get a very long exposure time, you may want to open the lens more - towards a lower f-stop value and then start all over again.

If light is so low that you need to focus with the lens wide open you might as well do that using the aperture ring than using the Auto-Manual switch on the lens. In that event the sequence will be: Set the lens wide open; focus; stop down the lens; meter the light using the green button; take the shot.

I cannot tell, why the K200D is so unreliable with takumars and Av-mode. My K-5 gives much more consitent results with that very same lens whether I have the camera in Av or in M-mode. I can only note that this is a fact for me and my camera bodies.
09-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
the camera will go to Av by itself and meter bybthe amount of
Light depending on the aperture you set the lens at.
...but metering will be unreliable. Use M-mode per the user manual and metering will be much more accurate. This is true for all recent model Pentax dSLRs.

Steve
09-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I cannot tell, why the K200D is so unreliable with takumars and Av-mode.
This is a historic problem with bodies prior to the K-7. From all reports it has to do with correction factors added to the metering logic to provide accurate wide-open metering with A-contact lenses. Unfortunately the default logic for non-A contact lenses resulted in non-linear response. The exact behavior varied between camera models and lenses, but mostly the metering sucked. This was corrected in the K-7 and newer cameras to provide a special set of factors to the stop-down metering provided with M-mode.

The recommendation for M-mode is in the user manual for the new cameras, but is not very forcefully stated. For the most part, it says that exposure error may occur (or something like that) in Av mode. See table on page 259 in the K30 owner manual.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.
09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. So it looks like i'm out of luck with the Tak 55 on the K200D.
I'm going to try my FA28-105 f4-5.6 powerzoom lens on the K200D and on the K30.
Any ideas how that will work out? I know I don't need the M42 adapter with that lens
and Powerzoom doesn't work with the current Pentax cameras. Any recommendations
on settings for using the FA28-105 on the K200D body. I can't recall if it autofocuses.
I loved using it outdoors on the K100D and did a lot of manual focussing. Any guidance will be
appreciated. It is a very nice lens with excellent contrast , sharpness and color. If it works out
on the 200D I might just leave it on that body.
There's something about the 28-105 zoom range that agrees with me. I always wanted
a 28-105 and the only one I had was the USm model I had on my Canon D60. The D60
is now over 10 years old and is heavy as a large brick. But that 28-105 USM had a nice film-like
quality. Freddy

09-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Tak55 on the K-30 is amazing. One of my favorite toys.
09-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Kozlok. That's good to know. Heck, doesn't everything work great on the amazing K30. I do love it so. Freddy
09-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
But why is TAK 55 "out of luck" on the K200D??? I have taken many great pictures with that lens on my K200D - as long as i've used M-mode.
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stone, negative comments have steered me away from the Tak 55mm. However, now that I think about it I took wonderful shots on the K100D with the Tak.
Why now are people saying cameras before K7 do not work well with the Tak 55mm. At this point I'm soured on the whole thing. I'm planning to sell my
K100D and have had signs posted for several days. I think I'll just move on to the FA28-105 powerzoom on the K200d. Just waiting for recommendations about that combo. can't recall if the Autofocus can be used on the Powerzoom. Long time since I've used it. Thanks, Freddy
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Huh? How so?

Enable the aperture ring and put the camera in Av mode. The flow goes like this:
  • Lens with A/M switch in M position and aperture wide open
  • Frame, focus, move the aperture ring the desired number of stops (count the clicks)
  • shoot
  • Check the exposure in the rear LCD and adjust exposure compensation as needed. The histogram helps.
  • Shoot freely until you are done with the subject or the light changes or you want to use a different aperture (you don't have to meter between shots). Just remember to stop down between shots. You can also simply set the desired aperture and move the A/M switch to do the stop-down.

Alternatively, use M mode. That flow is similar and goes like this:
  • Lens with A/M switch in M position and aperture wide open
  • Frame, focus, move the aperture ring the desired number of stops (count the clicks)
  • Press the green button equivalent (I can't remember what button is used for stop-down metering on the K200D)
  • Shoot
  • Check the exposure in the rear LCD and adjust shutter speed as needed. The histogram helps.
  • Shoot freely until you are done with the subject or the light changes or you want to use a different aperture (you don't have to meter between shots). Just remember to stop down between shots. You can also simply set the desired aperture and move the A/M switch to do the stop-down.

I have taken literally thousands of shots (some of them pretty good) with my K10D using these flows with M42 and non-A K-mount lenses. With experience you will be able to guess the appropriate exposure compensation for a particular f/stop.

Steve
09-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
tak 55 on K200D

Thanks, Steve. I'll work on both alternatives tomorrow. Thanks for laying out the flows so neatly. My K200D came with a split screen applied to the mirror. Do you think that
will help my focussing. Freddy
09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tak 55 with K200D

Steve, YOUR M METHOD DID IT!!!
Use M mode on - Set aperture wide open (with aperture ring) - Frame - Focus (till I get red light) - press green button to stop down - press shutter - BINGO!
Gorgeous shots, wonderful bokeh.
I find it awkward to take my finger off the shutter button and grope around for the green button, then back to the shutter button. I think I have to make this part of it smoother, or I get a loss of sharpness.
I wish there was a way to link the green button so it then snaps the shutter.
Thank you so much. So glad I didn't give up. Freddy