Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Quote of the week

Just an interesting thought:

I started Lend Dilemma threat few days ago swaying between full prime or zoom set up (used to be on zooms) and was mentioning that I was worried when having primes that I would somehow not use them all and change lenses. Then a Veteran Member JOHNX wrote the magic words for me:

You say you're worried about lens change. Why? DSLR's are designed for lens changes

I felt quite silly after reading this because this is exactly why we HAVE DSLR cameras and it is stupid to raise worries like me Hope this would encourage someone else and Thanks JOHNX!!!!!

Not to mention that I am now one primes ))

09-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I prefer changing camera than to change lenses in the field

So I only take advantage of that 'lens change design' before I leave home - I decide what I want to shoot and choose the lens, even zoom or prime. However, once I am out, I don't change the lens, just shoot whatever I can with that lens and I even carry two DSLR (now NEX) for different focal lengths if requires.

Just a shooting preference
09-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I prefer changing camera than to change lenses in the field
That is also an option
09-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes, DSLRs are designed for lens changes. However, there are all sorts of reasons for not wanting to change lenses in any given situation - e.g. being short of time, being in a dusty environment etc.

In a situation like that I can choose to either stick to one prime and live with the limitations of having only one focal length available, or I put a zoom on to buy some more flexibility (usually at the cost of slower aperture and more bulk). In most normal settings I can do perfectly well with just a 35mm on my camera.

Or, as yusuf, get another body - but I see that as getting flexibility and speed for even more bulk (and cost).

The beauty of it is that there's more than one way to do it - and all the ways can be equally right

09-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, get the lenses which will be useful to you. You may only have the one mounted on the camera while you're walking around, and then it's a challenge to use that lens to its best potential. If I'm walking around the neighborhood or river I'll usually have a zoom, for flexibility. Sometimes, though, if I'm out looking for bumblebees to document, I'll have the 100mm macro. I may miss some other opportunities but I've got the best tool for the job at hand. Can I use the 55-300 for this purpose, yes. It would be secondary to finding migrating birds etc.

Plenty of other times my 28mm lens is just right for casual shots and indoor use.
09-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming your subject is in focus, you can always 'crop to zoom' during post processing, as well.

Cheers...
09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, DSLRs are designed for lens changes. However, there are all sorts of reasons for not wanting to change lenses in any given situation - e.g. being short of time, being in a dusty environment etc
I Agree, but can one also say that you should be prepared for what you go out and shoot? Of course, if you just wonder around with trying to shoot what ever comes in eye, then of course - there is nothing better than zoom
09-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
and then it's a challenge to use that lens to its best potentia
but challenge is what is nice - I agree you sometimes might miss a shot, but then on the other side - there is also time you win

For me I guess most important is to think and see similar way like the lens on my camera this helps to decide on the lens to put on

09-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdavis Quote
I Agree, but can one also say that you should be prepared for what you go out and shoot? Of course, if you just wonder around with trying to shoot what ever comes in eye, then of course - there is nothing better than zoom
Exactly so. Do your homework, be prepared.

That said, just for a walkabout I sometimes (actually, quite often) prefer a single prime. Maybe an extra in my pocket; they are so delightfully small, after all Makes me use my eyes in a different way.
09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Makes me use my eyes in a different way.
the same with me and this is what I like, because this is like exercise - see similar to lens rather then trying just to capture anything that could pop in the eye