Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Tripod Collars

This is probably a pretty dumb question but I am about to order the Bigma and have never had a lens with a tripod collar.

Does this require a special plate that I should order when I get the lens or does that footie (technical term) looking thing fit right on to the ball head plate?

86mm filter??????? Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!

Robin

03-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
This is probably a pretty dumb question but I am about to order the Bigma and have never had a lens with a tripod collar.

Does this require a special plate that I should order when I get the lens or does that footie (technical term) looking thing fit right on to the ball head plate?

86mm filter??????? Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!

Robin
The tripod collar is identical to the bottom of the camera. It just allows mounting the camera and lens in a better balanced position.
03-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay.....but on the bottom of my camera I have a plate, actually an L bracket, that slips in to the release plate on my Markins head. I assume the tripod collar allows the camera/lens combo to be mounted via the collar on the lens instead of the camera body providing better balance but how does that work without a plate for the collar foot thingy.

I am sorry if I am being really dense about this.

Robin
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You need to buy a tripod collar/long lens QR plate. I think Markins does offer those.

03-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Okay.....but on the bottom of my camera I have a plate, actually an L bracket, that slips in to the release plate on my Markins head. I assume the tripod collar allows the camera/lens combo to be mounted via the collar on the lens instead of the camera body providing better balance but how does that work without a plate for the collar foot thingy.

I am sorry if I am being really dense about this.

Robin
You just need to move the bracket to the tripod collar when using a lens so equipped. I have a quick release plate for my Manfrotto, and that's exactly what I do. It's usually on the 400, but when I need to, I move it to the camera.
03-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great! Thanks for the help.

I don't think I will try moving the L bracket as it is not a simple matter since it not just screwed in but has the straps attached to it as well. I do, however, have a simple plate on my K100 so I'm thinkning that I could use that for the lens.

Thanks again,
Robin