Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In love of a 50

It's worrying that you lot I'm sure on some level understand what it's like. Well perhaps worrying is the wrong term here, reassuring perhaps.

Anyway my 50mm collection is getting a tad ridiculous, Just how many 50's does one think he needs! In my case it's 15. :S

Confessing now tho, my latest acquisition sees me finally settling down. For ever and a day the lens that received most use was a Super Tak f1.4 partly because I was conscious of de-yellowing it, and then as happens when you spent a lot of time with someone, you simply learn to love them :P

I have just been introduced to a M 50mm 1.4 and I'm already starting to feel the shade of guilt crawl down my skin.

One forgets how handy the auto diaphragm is.

Sigh.

I hope she learns to forgive me.

09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"You knew I was into interchangeable lenses when we first met, baby."
09-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I now have zero. Owned 4 in total, never more than 2 at a time (a macro and a fast 50). Now the DA40 suits me best.
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Just how many 50's does one think he needs!
One more than he has...

09-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

The question is, do we count 55's and 58's as "50's"?
09-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have just been introduced to a M 50mm 1.4 and I'm already starting to feel the shade of guilt crawl down my skin.

One forgets how handy the auto diaphragm is.
How so? Between the A, the M and the Takumars, I've always found the M series the least practical to use, especially so on a a body like the K-01, which provides focus peaking with an auto-gaining, bright LCD display. That green-button stop-down metering process one has to resort to with the M series works well enough for me, but it's not exactly ergonomical.
09-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Different strokes for different folks :P

I'm attached to my viewfinder and enjoy not having to open and shut the aperture when composing. Compose, Meter, Click vs Compose, Close aperture, Meter, Open aperture, Recompose, Click. :P

QuoteQuote:
"You knew I was into interchangeable lenses when we first met, baby."

Last edited by tromboads; 10-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
09-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Not in this thread :P
09-27-2013, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahhh... the fifties. As I gaze at my collection (of fewer than 15), I start to daydream... (cue in dreamy music and swirly colours...)

- You in the corner of the chest - M50/1.7. You were my first love. Remember when I picked you up in that old thrift store? You were sort of hiding in the corner of the case. I guess you weren't selling too quickly, were you? So they marked you down half price and I grabbed you for $15. I thought you'd be a quick, cheap date, but you really shine. You'll always be the true original.

- And Carl, hope you don't mind if I call you CZJ for short. You were pretty beat up when I brought you home. I had to wrestle you off of that mean old Praktica. Sorry about that strip-down - I just had to get inside to do a minor repair and clean out the gunk. But, you cleaned up real good for a $2 dude. Your stripes really add pizzazz to the K-5, ya know.

- Then there's you in the other corner - trusty ol' Pentacon 50/1.8. I hear people sayin' pretty good things about you - like they're surprised you perform as well as you do. I guess you're sort of the intimate type, with that real close focusing distance.

- What's that, Tak? Okay, I'll introduce you too, by your formal name: SMC Takumar 50/1.4. Weren't you the yellowed fellow? Um, hope the UV light wasn't too hard on you, but I had to do something to clear you up. You've seen plenty of time on the K-5, though. You're a smooooth operator, that's for sure. Hope you don't mind if I tell folks you're kinda shallow - in the DOF sense, that is.

- Who's making that zip-zip noise? Oh, of course... Pentax-F. Gee, you're a real fast one - and real sharp, too. Seems you're getting along real well in the quick focus department. But don't worry, I won't comment on your odd industrial-age markings or your slightly grey complexion.

- Then there are you longer fellows huddled together on the side. Helios - you're the longest of the group, aren't you? 58? You like putting on a bit of show with all that swirly stuff, don't you? Well, you're always a fun guy to have around!

- How about you, K-55? You're a pretty sharp performer, yourself. Solid as a rock.

- Now we come to you over there, the oldest member of the gang. Auto-Tak 55/2. I've got a lot respect for you - ya might not have all those glitzy coatings like the younger ones, but boy do you take a good image! Love your colours and that soft background.

(cue dreamy music and swirly colours)

What? Someone asking about fifties?

- Craig

PS. One can always add one more 50 to the lot!
09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here I am with only 3 and worrying I've gone off the deep end. Of course, I'm lusting for a Pancolar, and a Zenitar, and a Volna 9, and a Macro, and something autofocus...and...and...
09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last I counted it was 17 lenses between 50 and 58mm..it's probably more now. I stopped keeping track.

There's a FA 50/1.7 that is the love of my life. The Super Tak 50/1.4 8-element. A Sigma 50mm macro. The 3 55/1.8s and the 55/2. The Sears 55/1.4 and the Russian 58/2s with the swirly bokeh.

But I really don't think it's a problem. I mean I can stop any time I want. Really...honest.
09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My obsession with 50s stopped after I started shooting with the 43. I've already bought a k 50/1.4 once, and M50/1.4 twice. I've recently sold an A50/1.4 and an M50/1.7. I'm now selling an A50/1.7.

After this, I'll be left with a group that will probably be the keepers.
FA50/1.4
K55/1.8
M50/4
and the FA43.
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
With my 50mm lens collection I don't count the odd focal lengths that do pop up from time to time - there are some really strange ones out there: 60mm, 57mm, 48mm, 45mm and 52mm lenses*

* Bear in mind that there are precious few 50mm lenses that are precisely 50mm in focal length. The Pentax 50mm f/1.7 lenses are around 53.2mm, the Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 is 51.8mm
09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I like to look at my fifties as the ones that are "for real" and the ones that are "just for fun" - but they all seem to be equally real in the camera bag (and on the wallet!). I only have 4, so far I am reigning in the lba

But it is fun that these fifties are so different from each other, even though they have similar focal length and aperture
09-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

50's does one think he needs! In my case it's 15. :S
OK, now it's time to get organized f1.7s then f1.4s of the fifties

here is my Pentax f1.7s (M, A, F, FA)